Dry looking hair - what to do?????

angenoir

Ladies with dry looking hair

How do you deal with this? You hair is well-conditioned, moisturized, feels soft and is easy to comb through and style. But it just has a dry look to it. Sorry, I cannot explain it better.

I have 4a/b hair and I am about 7 months post (I am on a looooong stretch that may turn into a transition). When I moisturize my hair my relaxed ends look great… but the NG looks dry even when it isn’t. And I had this issue too when I was fully natural. My hair is soft, hardly tangles, easy to comb through, soft to the touch…. But why oh why does it look so dry??? I’d like my hair to look as moisturized and juicy lol as some of the heads I see here!

If you have experienced this, please tell me what you did or what you used to make your hair look nice and ‘juicy’!

bklyncurly

Just curious, when was the last time you deep con? Whenever my hair is really dry, a really good deep con w/moisturizer & oil, and plastic cap under dryer for 30 minutes usually works wonders.

angenoir

Just curious, when was the last time you deep con? Whenever my hair is really dry, a really good deep con w/moisturizer & oil, and plastic cap under dryer for 30 minutes usually works wonders.

hi!

I deep-con weekly regularly and have no issues like breaking or excess shedding. my hair is quite healthy and soft. It is just dry looking. I think Ediese once posted about experiencing the same issue.

Last edited:

lana

I'm facing the same issue with my 4a/b texlaxed hair. It tends to appear dry, even though...it's healthy as it's EVER been. So I use John Frieda Clear rinse once a month and I'm considering putting in Sebastian's clear rinse. I also use oil lately (Jojoba, vitamin E and Castor oil mixed) and that tends to help BUT it fades within hours of applying it. So if anyone else has a solution please let me know.

I also rinse with cold water to seal the cuticle and this helps a little.

washize

Ladies with dry looking hair

How do you deal with this? You hair is well-conditioned, moisturized, feels soft and is easy to comb through and style. But it just has a dry look to it. Sorry, I cannot explain it better.

I have 4a/b hair and I am about 7 months post (I am on a looooong stretch that may turn into a transition). When I moisturize my hair my relaxed ends look great… but the NG looks dry even when it isn’t. And I had this issue too when I was fully natural. My hair is soft, hardly tangles, easy to comb through, soft to the touch…. But why oh why does it look so dry??? I’d like my hair to look as moisturized and juicy lol as some of the heads I see here!

If you have experienced this, please tell me what you did or what you used to make your hair look nice and ‘juicy’!

I have this problem after i straighten my hair, it goes away instantly after I rub a little coconut oil and condish in my hands and apply it to my ends, then I use a little striaghtening serum and wrap my hair, my ends stay nice afterward.

melissa-bee

Could this be the nature of your hair. I have a mix of 4a (crown) and b (edges) and my 4a parts always look healthy and shiny and the b parts never. There was quite a long thread made by mwedzi about what makes hair silky. Maybe you'll find a theory in there. I'll see if i can find it.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I used to have this problem, then I added Porosity Control to my regime, now the shine is outa control! I don't know if yours is a porosity issue, but for me it was. They have a trial size of the Roux Porosity Control for like $1.99 at Sallys. Give it a try and see if it helps.

HTH

angenoir

I used to have this problem, then I added Porosity Control to my regime, now the shine is outa control! I don't know if yours is a porosity issue, but for me it was. They have a trial size of the Roux Porosity Control for like $1.99 at Sallys. Give it a try and see if it helps.

HTH

Thanks! I do use porosity control. And at first I did have a porosity issue but now with regular use I do not have a porosity issue at all....

:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

Lucia

Do you clarify? maybe you have some product build up. Also like the ladies said DC'ing more often can help. What kind of moisturizer are you using under the oils?
Are you using shampoo? or do you co-wash?
Are you using alot of heat tools?
Your NG is natural and needs more moisture than your relaxed ends, also maybe you've got scab hair.

Check your products, see if they have alot of alcohols, or SLS in them.
Try and simplify your reggie, you only need a few key products that work for your hair.

I suggest DC-ing with coconut creme concentrate, that way you don't have to wait for the cream to form off the milk it's already, ready to go and it's cooking grade. I use this all the time as my staple DC, after I co-wash, I slather it in sections all over my hair, while wet/damp, put on a plastic cap or a warmed damp towel and sit for 30-1hr, rinse and my hairs soft, and super moisturized. It counteracts any dryness esp if you do the low-budget hair steamer :lol:

You can get cooking grade coconut creme concentrate and oil here:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_cream_concentrate.htm

You could try using coconut conditioner as a leave in, and follow that with coconut oil while while hair is damp and braid up or ponytail or bun it. You could try baggying in the evenings for a couple of hours, then take the baggy off before bed, not everyone needs to or should baggy overnight, it's too much sometimes.

You may want to try the thick coconut oil, not the one that's diluted with other oils or too refined, I prefer cooking grade, looks like white paste when cold, melts in your hands.hth

vkb247

Henna, coconut oil, and gel all make my hair shinier. If your hair is a light color than it is more likely to look dry. Like someone else suggested, a clear or dark rinse would probably make the biggest difference in the quickest amount of time.

God's Anointed

Henna, coconut oil, and gel all make my hair shinier. If your hair is a light color than it is more likely to look dry. Like someone else suggested, a clear or dark rinse would probably make the biggest difference in the quickest amount of time.

I def agree with the bolded ones. I've never used gel for shine tho. I can tell you that serums and hair polish def gives the hair a nice sheen. Here's a link to one that works very well and smells heavenly http://texasbeautysupplies.com/ab58706.html. However, it does contain cones...

Queen_Earth

hmmmmm have you tried a steamer? I think that may help with making hair appear shinier...I have the opposite problem righ tnow--my hair is glowing and shiny and even feels kinda gooey but I know that it is dry! It is like shiny on the outside but dry in the inside...I cant explain it

Esq.2B

Maybe you're not using products that seal your cuticles properly. I notice, when I use conditioners that have a sealing effect, my hair tends to look less dry.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i recommend serums, coconut oil, and a clear rinse. Those (separately or combined) will definitely help out.

angenoir

Thanks! Yes, my hair is a light colour. Probably slightly lighter than a 1b