Dry Roots after Rollersetting

msjones

Hey Ladies--
I have a question about my dry, brittle roots. I am one-week post relaxer, and have rollerset 2x with my Lacio and Nourish & Shine. The rest of my hair shaft is perfectly moisturized with coconut oil and/or nourish & shine, however, my roots are so dry that whenever I use a comb, I can hear the hairs tearing. Why is this and what can I do to fix it? No type of moisturizer seems to be working. Am I doing my rollerset wrong? Do I need a corrective? This has never happened to me before. Help!:wallbash:

Usually at one week post I have the least problems. Maybe you need to clarify and DC. I have had a problem with VERY dry hair and rollersets but it was the products I used. The way I rollerset my hair now is:
  • Wash with diluted kenra, DC, detangle with shower comb in shower
  • I use 1). plain water to keep wet 2). Nexxus Humectess (a generous amount) 3) 1 pump of Elasta foam per section 4). a mixture of coconut oil and water; in that order. I apply products section by section as I am rolling.
  • I saturate my hair with the above and detangle very well and then comb thru with a small tooth and place on the roller. I dont lose hair this way because my hair is very saturated. (I counted and I lost 5 shed hairs less rollerset). I do this section by section. This really makes the hair smooth!
  • As far as the roots: When the set is dry I take out the rollers and I gently comb my hair in sections with the shower comb and my fingers. I blow out my roots with a boar bristle round brush and kenra MC. My roots get STRAIGHT every time I do this and I don't lose any hair. When I was using those hard round brushes my hair was tearing out. The boar bristle round combined with the kenra leave in are a life saver!!!
  • After I blow out my roots I moisturize my hair with nexxus again and seal with coconut oil and wrap or pin curl.
  • If u would like to see pic of the outcome they are in my fotki under my december album (in profile)
I really hope this helps u because I almost gave up rollersets a few months ago:wallbash:.

Thanks! I'm gonna try this the next time I rollerset. I just used Lacio because I always come out with a very light/bouncy rollerset. I thought too much product would equal weighed down hair. Maybe not! Thanks again!

Hmmm...Are you getting the rollers nice and tight against the scalp? I only get dry roots when I'm seriously far post. Make sure you get leave in all over, especially the root area and not just focus on the shaft. I'm 8 weeks post and don't use a lot of product and the roots still come out soft.

Your welcome! I have tried using little product and have lost sooo much hair. I think this is a happy medium- not too much, not too little. Let me know how it turns out!:yep:

Hmmm...Are you getting the rollers nice and tight against the scalp? I only get dry roots when I'm seriously far post. Make sure you get leave in all over, especially the root area and not just focus on the shaft. I'm 8 weeks post and don't use a lot of product and the roots still come out soft.

Just wanted to say I peeped ur fotki. U have made a lot of progress! Gorgeous hair!

UM..........what kind of comb are you using? Maybe you could try finger combing or only combing with a shower comb. This is has worked for me.

Happy New Year.

I'm 7 weeks post relaxer, and my roots are not dry after rollersetting, because of the way I DC. I use a brush to apply DC to my roots first, then the rest of the hair, and sit with heat for 30 to 45 minutes. With the moisturizing and DC that I constantly provide my roots, they're not dry. HTH

Thanks Ladies--
I will definitely try to use my conair shower comb and more product next time. I also read the mesh roller thread--i think I will get these so that I can get my rollers more taut.

Happy New Year!

I'm 7 weeks post relaxer, and my roots are not dry after rollersetting, because of the way I DC. I use a brush to apply DC to my roots first, then the rest of the hair, and sit with heat for 30 to 45 minutes. With the moisturizing and DC that I constantly provide my roots, they're not dry. HTH

So you apply your dc on your ng like a relaxer??? interesting.....(takes notes:drunk:)

I want to try this the next time I wash my hair. This way I will make sure that I hit all parts of my hair.

Do you just use a regular brush or a relaxer brush? :look: I am 9.5 weeks post and I find that I have to take extra care to make sure ALL of the roots are saturated with DC. :ohwell:

I do the EXACT same thing and have found my hair comes out much softer...I separate my hair into 4 quadrants just to pre-poo and from that point onward I wash, rinse, do any treatments, and DC within those same quadrants. My pre-poo and DC go on with an applicator brush and any treatments I do as well. That way I hit every part of my NG with is a bit OOC b/c of the MN mix I'm using at the moment I am 8 weeks post.

Doing my hair this way makes the process go a bit longer but the reward are worth it...I actually got the idea from another member here...can't remember her website but she has some great ideas....:drunk:

OK...I am so stealing the applicator brush idea. I started having the same problem with dry roots once I got about 10 weeks plus post relaxer. I have tried using coconut oil in addition to my water and conditioner, and it took FOREVER for my hair to dry. Does anyone else experience increased drying time when they add oil?

OK...I am so stealing the applicator brush idea. I started having the same problem with dry roots once I got about 10 weeks plus post relaxer. I have tried using coconut oil in addition to my water and conditioner, and it took FOREVER for my hair to dry. Does anyone else experience increased drying time when they add oil?

Yes! It takes foreverrrrr under that dryer if I add oil. I just add the oil afterwards--this is the only thing that allows me to have moisturized hair. I think my problem is that I haven't been getting enough DC or pre-poo on my roots. I'm going to try the applicator brush to remedy this. :)

Yes! It takes foreverrrrr under that dryer if I add oil. I just add the oil afterwards--this is the only thing that allows me to have moisturized hair. I think my problem is that I haven't been getting enough DC or pre-poo on my roots. I'm going to try the applicator brush to remedy this. :)

I had this problem before but when I got a better dryer it was no biggie. I also liquefy the coconut oil and add it to water. About 2 teaspoons to a whole bottle of water and only spray the hair a couple times with it.

Do you just use a regular brush or a relaxer brush? :look: I am 9.5 weeks post and I find that I have to take extra care to make sure ALL of the roots are saturated with DC. :ohwell:

Yes I use a relaxer brush. I got the idea from one of the ladies who said to practice relaxer application using a conditioner. I started doing that, and now I use the relaxer brush for DC as well as henna. I'm still going to have to practice the relaxer application, though, because I'm sloppy with it and EVERYTHING goes!!! :lachen:

Sooo I did everything you ladies said to do--use more product, moisturize in quandrants, make sure theres more tension with the rollers...i'm still under the dryer but i cheated and took one roller out---AMAZING!!!!!!!! i can comb completely through with my fingers. Here's what I did:

Pre-poo with amla & coconut oil overnight

Add conditioner in the AM with wet towel—sit under dryer to complete pre-poo

Rinse in shower for 5 minutes

Shampoo with organic poo (sulfate free)

2 parts amla to 1 part shikakai (2tsp:1tsp, 1 cup hot water, 1 cup cold water)—massage into scalp

co-wash out herbal rinse w/ cheapie conditioner (i used the spray conditioner that came w/ the mizani butter blend leftover from 2 weeks ago--this is really all this stuff is good for IMO)

DC w/ NTM triple moisture daily deep conditioner, humectress with a little JBCO & hot 6 oil (30 mins under dryer)

Rinse thoroughly with water

ACV rinse (1/4 acv to 2cups water)

Detangle

Garnier Fructis Sleek & shine leave in

Roller-set with jane carter nourish & shine on ends

I am a new woman now!!! Thanks so much!!!! (I will try to update w/ pics tomorrow)

Back