Drying Effects Of Clay Masks, Shampoo Bars And Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses

NaturalEnigma

How do you guys combat the drying effects of Clay Masks, Shampoo Bars and Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses. I feel like whenever I do these treatments my hair ends up so dry, and I have to baggy and moisturize my hair like crazy to get it back to normal. I do the clay masks once a month for 20 minutes and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards, with the shampoo bars I use an apple cider vinegar rinse (1 tablespoon per 8 ounces of water) after each wash (Once every two weeks). I feel like my hair is healthy, but I'm having trouble maintaining my moisture balance. I'm tempted to go back to my shea moisture shampoo and getting rid of the clay masks from my regimen. I brought Cassia for the first time and I want to use it, but I've heard that it can be drying too and I'm not trying to have a setback.

CodeRed

How do you guys combat the drying effects of Clay Masks, Shampoo Bars and Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses. I feel like whenever I do these treatments my hair ends up so dry, and I have to baggy and moisturize my hair like crazy to get it back to normal. I do the clay masks once a month for 20 minutes and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards, with the shampoo bars I use an apple cider vinegar rinse (1 tablespoon per 8 ounces of water) after each wash (Once every two weeks). I feel like my hair is healthy, but I'm having trouble maintaining my moisture balance. I'm tempted to go back to my shea moisture shampoo and getting rid of the clay masks from my regimen. I brought Cassia for the first time and I want to use it, but I've heard that it can be drying too and I'm not trying to have a setback.

I had the same problem with alternative cleansing methods. I got tired of the work so I went back to shampoo :lol:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I would cut down on the ACV and use it 1 once a month instead of twice a month.

It needs to be more diluted. A Tablespoon for 8oz of water is too much ACV.

Not too familiar with Clay Masks? You should read up on those. Folks that use them on a regular basis, seem to really like them.

When I do use them, I don't have a problem afterwards. I DC and/or cowash with something super moisturizing.

Have never used/tried a 'Poo Bar.

NaturalEnigma

I use 1 tspn of ACV to 8oz water. Also it could be the shampoo bars, you're using. Until I started using the KJ Naturals and Jakeala shampoo bars, my hair hated them. HTH

I use the chagrin valley shampoo bars. I brought three different kinds. I've only tried two so far, but my hair didn't like the Olive and Babassu bar. I might have to try the KJ Naturals and Jakeala shampoo bars.

NaturalEnigma

I would cut down on the ACV and use it 1 once a month instead of twice a month.

It needs to be more diluted. A Tablespoon for 8oz of water is too much ACV.

Not too familiar with Clay Masks? You should read up on those. Folks that use them on a regular basis, seem to really like them.

When I do use them, I don't have a problem afterwards. I DC and/or cowash with something super moisturizing.

Have never used/tried a 'Poo Bar.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to cut the ACV down to once a month. I didn't know 1 tablespoon for 8 oz oz of water was too much. I thought it was the minimum amount to use. Good to know. I'll definitely use less next time.

NaturalEnigma

If they dry you out, why bother?

I agree the acv is tok strong though. A quarter teaspoon is enough. Or less!

I restarted my healthy hair journey and its nothing like jumping on a couple of band wagons to get you excited about taking care of your hair again. So I'm just going to play around with it to see if I can get it to work for me, if not I'll just go back to liquid shampoos.

snoop

Kaolin is also nice. What are you mixing your clay with? I find that straight water makes my hair feel hard. You can try mixing it with warmed coconut milk or coconut cream or goat's milk powder (with water). Also, if you let it sit on your hair, you can possibly get that drying affect as opposed to washing like you would a shampoo -- on for 2-5 minutes then rinse it off.

naturalyogini

I use the chagrin valley shampoo bars. I brought three different kinds. I've only tried two so far, but my hair didn't like the Olive and Babassu bar. I might have to try the KJ Naturals and Jakeala shampoo bars.
my hair hated all of the Chagrin Valley poo bars. Made my hair feel like it had been washed in bleach. Also keep in mind high porosity hair sometimes can't handle the alkaline pH of bars

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
I stopped ACV rinses because i thought it was overkill.

My shampoo bar is only for once a season buildup removal as it can be stripping.

For clay, I'd advise using "sodium" bentonite clay. It is MUCH more conditioning than the calcium version. You can get it cheap at bulkapothecary.com. I mix mine with coconut water and a little honey, and shake for a creamy consistency. I then warm the mix before applying. My hair is NEVER dry afterward and always feels super conditioned.