dryness

lurkersincejan

hey ladies i am pretty new to this but slowly learning, been washing my hair weekly with HE hello hydration 2 in 1 and following with aphogee and my cholesterol conditioner. I also have infusium 23 leave in conditioner, Im due for a wash tomorrow but my hair always still seem dry, Ive been using BB castor oil for moisturizing. Should i be doing something different, i can see the dryness when i scratch and it does itch sometime but not always. Im about 9 weeks post and NG isnt too bad.

ETA: my ends have been doing pretty good with the castor oil but its my scalp that has the dryness, thought that may help

Last edited:

onejamifan

I'm sort of a newbie as well, but it seems to me you might be using too much protein with both the aphogee and cholesterol. Maybe try DC with a moisturizing conditioner like Nexxus Humectress. Some of the ladies here like Humecto from Keracare. I used to suffer from dry scalp, particularly in the winter, and now its completely fine because I massage my scalp with oil a couple of times a week (particularly the night before I wash). I use a SMALL amount of coconut oil or a mixture of sweet almond, avocado and rosemary oil. I love the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship leave-in as an every day moisturizer and even for roller sets.

Again, I too am a newbie and the products mentioned above are ones that I like and have helped with my dry scalp and hair moisture. I'm sure the ladies on this site with more hair experience will share their knowledge and experience as well.

HTH :)

MrsJersey

I'm sort of a newbie as well, but it seems to me you might be using too much protein with both the aphogee and cholesterol. Maybe try DC with a moisturizing conditioner like Nexxus Humectress. Some of the ladies here like Humecto from Keracare. I used to suffer from dry scalp, particularly in the winter, and now its completely fine because I massage my scalp with oil a couple of times a week (particularly the night before I wash). I use a SMALL amount of coconut oil or a mixture of sweet almond, avocado and rosemary oil. I love the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship leave-in as an every day moisturizer and even for roller sets.

Again, I too am a newbie and the products mentioned above are ones that I like and have helped with my dry scalp and hair moisture. I'm sure the ladies on this site with more hair experience will share their knowledge and experience as well.

HTH :)

ITA. Too much protein can be bad if your hair can not tolerate it. I also use the coconut oil and my hair loves it. HELTR is also a staple of mine and it works miracles (especially the leave in :grin:)

lurkersincejan

so should i just use the aphogee moisturizer instead of the cholesterol after my protein treatment? i have it but havent used it but once. it doesnt state that its a deep conditioner just says leave on for 5 min

onejamifan

I'm not a fan of the Aphogee moisturizer because I don't think it gives my hair enough of the moisture it needs. Are you doing a protein treatment every week? That's a :nono: if your hair does not like protein. Deep protein should be done occassionally, not weekly.

Good luck!

Hair Iam

aphogee /cholesterol & infusium 23 ..they all have protein...I can only use infusium watered down. My hair loves more moisture than protein ..perhaps you too need more moisture than protein

lurkersincejan

I was having some breakage so i thought i had to use it weekly, it has slowed the breakage down. So should I just shampoo, deep condition with cholesteral and then just use the infusium leave it or should I change it up all together? Thanks so much for the responses by the way, just trying to get this right. I also agree that my hair needs more moisture, i want to try NTM but im just trying to use what I have. If its causing more harm than good i'll have to stop.

growth2come

I am not into daily washing as my hair/braids take too long to dry, but from what I have read from those that wash daily. They use a light conditioner and then a protein one at the end of the week or monthly as too much conditioner will make your hair mushy....If you do a normal wash and just looking for a way to add moisture to your hair there are too receipes you can try from the receipe forum:

A mix of half and half of aloe vera and glycern or
half and half or rose water and glycern.

I have tried the last one and havent looked back since! I have put it in a spray bottle and spray my hair in the morning the whole day my hair feels moisturised I havent had that crunch you sometimes get with natural hair. I have also added a bit of castor oil and SAA powder to mine:grin:

onejamifan

I was having some breakage so i thought i had to use it weekly, it has slowed the breakage down. So should I just shampoo, deep condition with cholesteral and then just use the infusium leave it or should I change it up all together? Thanks so much for the responses by the way, just trying to get this right. I also agree that my hair needs more moisture, i want to try NTM but im just trying to use what I have. If its causing more harm than good i'll have to stop.

To be honest with you, I don't think I have used cholesterol treatment in like 10 years and have never tried NTM, so I can't give too much feedback on that, but if you want, alternate between the cholesterol and a moisturizing conditioner and see how your hair responds. I would not go and buy a whole new set of products, just supplement the ones you have with a couple of new staples (moisturizing conditioner and leave-in). Humectress can be used as both, so getting a container is well worth the $.