DSD...how are those tree braids...

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

Holding up? I want to get some done this summer but I'm undecided as to which type of hair to use. Would you recommend human or synthetic? How is your Kanekalon doing? Is it matting, tangling or loosing it's sheen at all? How long do you plan to keep it in? And what does your wash regimen now consist of? (how often do you wash, what products do you use, how do you style it...blah, blah, blah, lol) TIA and sorry for all the questions.
smile.gif

Another question.... I'm taking swimming lesson this summer. Do you think I could wet the braids everyday and have them still be okay....

Well Cat Eyed Cutie, the braids are holding up well. This hair is a little more high maintainence than I expected but that's fine. I have to make sure I spray it down daily with braid spray and brush it daily cause it will matt. It has not lost it's sheen but some of the curl is gone it has more like a wavy texture now. That's ok though cause I am still getting the stares.

If you want lower maintainence hair synthetic is for you. If you want more styling options go with the human hair. You can treat it like your own.

I wash once weekly with diluted shampoo and spray the braid spray throughout and brush through. That's it. I only apply the braidspray to my scalp about every other day since it is in cornrows.

I plan on keeping them in 2 months or just a little longer depending on how they look. I will probably be wearing a headband by then.
laugh.gif

Chanou, I don't see you have any problems wetting the hair for daily swim lessons. Actually this hair loves to be wet. Just make sure you do what is necessary for your hair to get the chlorine out!

Good Luck Ladies!

Hey DSD,

I'm thinking about getting tree braids and I'm using the search function for info, but I just wanted to know:

a) how long did you keep them in?

b) how did it hold up to washing with the synthetic hair?

c) any helpful hints/tips?

Also anyone else who has had tree braids feel free to chime in
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Hey DSD,

I'm thinking about getting tree braids and I'm using the search function for info, but I just wanted to know:

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey girl, I think you will enjoy these. Mine were a little too tight though. I had a small amount af hair loss around the hairline. I have been surging though and it is coming back in quite nicely. Make sure you tell the braider to be gentle to your hairline.

I kept them in for about 4 weeks which is not long. I just got tired of the hair that I used. I had never used that kind of hair before and the maintainence was getting on my nerves. ++ it started to look ragedy after a couple of weeks. I won't make that mistake again! If I decide to do them again I will go back to my body wave switch.

Synthetic hair doesn't like to be washed daily but I think once a week or once every two weeks is ok. It did snap back pretty well after wetting it.

I would suggest that you are careful about the type of hair you pic. You may want to go with a wet and wavy human hair weave becaue human hair holds up better. I have used a couple of synthetic hair types that held up for about 5 or six weeks though. The synthetic hair likes to be sprayed with some type of braid spray or else it will go ragedy on you faster.

If you do decide to get them. Never ever ever cut them out of your hair. You may wind up cutting your own hair. It takes longer to detangle all the weave hair and take it out but it will be well worth it to save your own hair. Make sure the braider knots off the ends of the braids. I have seen this hairstyle with unknotted braids and clumps or weave hair just came out everytime this person would try to detangle. You can either finger detangle it or use a wig brush. IMO this has to be done daily because it will start looking messy.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. This style can be very fun to have with little maintanence.

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Hey DSD,

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey girl, I think you will enjoy these. Mine were a little too tight though. I had a small amount af hair loss around the hairline. I have been surging though and it is coming back in quite nicely. Make sure you tell the braider to be gentle to your hairline.

I kept them in for about 4 weeks which is not long. I just got tired of the hair that I used. I had never used that kind of hair before and the maintainence was getting on my nerves. ++ it started to look ragedy after a couple of weeks. I won't make that mistake again! If I decide to do them again I will go back to my body wave switch.

Synthetic hair doesn't like to be washed daily but I think once a week or once every two weeks is ok. It did snap back pretty well after wetting it.

I would suggest that you are careful about the type of hair you pic. You may want to go with a wet and wavy human hair weave becaue human hair holds up better. I have used a couple of synthetic hair types that held up for about 5 or six weeks though. The synthetic hair likes to be sprayed with some type of braid spray or else it will go ragedy on you faster.

If you do decide to get them. Never ever ever cut them out of your hair. You may wind up cutting your own hair. It takes longer to detangle all the weave hair and take it out but it will be well worth it to save your own hair. Make sure the braider knots off the ends of the braids. I have seen this hairstyle with unknotted braids and clumps or weave hair just came out everytime this person would try to detangle. You can either finger detangle it or use a wig brush. IMO this has to be done daily because it will start looking messy.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. This style can be very fun to have with little maintanence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how long the style lasted because I'm wondering how much of a financial hole I should go in for some quality human hair.
smile.gif
Also, the place that I'm thinking about getting to do it charges $200-300 (does anyone know of anywhere in the DC area for cheaper, but does a good job?)

Back