Dumb Question-ACV Rinse

MizaniMami

Okay yall, I did an ACV rinse last night as my final rinse. I LOVED it! (Thank you Goldensensation!!! *hugs*)

Well I think I used too much. I used 1/2 a cup of ACV mixed with 1/2 a cup of tap water. Anyways the results were good so I'm not too worried. But I want to add this to my regimen as a either a final rinse or either a risne before I deep conditioner. How do you ladies do it?

Oh yeah, this is the original question I wanted to ask: Can I do an ACV rinse during the relaxing process??? I am told it lowers the PH level right? So is this safe??

good2uuuu

I love the ACV also, but I use 1/4 cup acv to 1 cup of water or 1 cup acv to 4 cups water if I want more. This is perfect for me.

renae226

MizaniMami said:
Okay yall, I did an ACV rinse last night as my final rinse. I LOVED it! (Thank you Goldensensation!!! *hugs*)

Well I think I used too much. I used 1/2 a cup of ACV mixed with 1/2 a cup of tap water. Anyways the results were good so I'm not too worried. But I want to add this to my regimen as a either a final rinse or either a risne before I deep conditioner. How do you ladies do it?

Oh yeah, this is the original question I wanted to ask: Can I do an ACV rinse during the relaxing process??? I am told it lowers the PH level right? So is this safe??

When I was a child, I use to go to the salon that my aunt owned, and after every relaxer she would rinse my hair with vinegar before shampooing. This was when my hair was the healthiest. The vinegar will burn your scalp, if the relaxer burns your scalp. I'm thinking of starting this again with my next relaxer. ;)

MizaniMami

renae226 said:
When I was a child, I use to go to the salon that my aunt owned, and after every relaxer she would rinse my hair with vinegar before shampooing. This was when my hair was the healthiest. The vinegar will burn your scalp, if the relaxer burns your scalp. I'm thinking of starting this again with my next relaxer. ;)

I figure it would. My poor little face was stinging while I was rinsing:lol:. But I think that could be contributed to using too much ACV vinegar.

I hope someone chimes in with some good advice. *calls out SistaSlick or Supergirl*

frankie

I've started doing ACV rinses as my final rinse and my hair seems to love it. I keep a big spray bottle in my shower that's 1 part ACV 5 parts water. The first time I did it I only did a half and half mix...but it was too strong for my taste.

I also tried using it to clarify since I've started MTGing again...my scalp has the gunk on it, but I don't really want to clarify with a clarifying shampoo at each wash. I tried using my Nexxus Therappe, but one shampooing wasn't enough. So I sprayed my scalp with the ACV mix and used a clarifying conditioner on the scalp afterward and it did the job. After rinsing that I put some porosity control in while I showered and rinsed again...then prayed my hair down once more with the ACV mix...and I was done. My hair dries much smoother when I airdry in a loose pony.

Hi Mizani
A few years ago I used to go to a Dominican salon and they use to use ACV rinses on my hair after they would wash out the perm - it seem to work fine and my hair was at it's longest and healthiest state. HTH

MizaniMami said:

lsubabiedee

determined_to_grow said:
Hi Mizani
A few years ago I used to go to a Dominican salon and they use to use ACV rinses on my hair after they would wash out the perm - it seem to work fine and my hair was at it's longest and healthiest state. HTH

my best friend from the DR told me that's how they do her hair back home. at the time, i thought it was the craziest thing ever. but since i've learned more about hair care, it makes perfect sense to me. plus she's always had a head of thick, healthy, long hair.

MizaniMami

Okay so when I do the ACV rinse (during the relaxing process) should I do it before deep conditoning or after?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
ONAMSHN said:
Not to hijack, but what is the overall purpose of the acv rinse?

1. Restores the scalp and hair's natural, slight acidic pH (4.5-5.5).
2. Forces the cuticles down, which increases slip.
3. I found if I use it to rinse out my conditioner, it locks in the moisture.*
4. Some folks find it clarifies their hair and scalp.
5. Since my hair does not care for oils, I use a ACV rinse to deposit essential oils throughout my hair.*
6. Since it is an acid, it can help neutralize relaxers, if it is strong enough.

*=based on my personal experience

MizaniMami

Nymphe said:
1. Restores the scalp and hair's natural, slight acidic pH (4.5-5.5).
2. Forces the cuticles down, which increases slip.
3. I found if I use it to rinse out my conditioner, it locks in the moisture.*
4. Some folks find it clarifies their hair and scalp.
5. Since my hair does not care for oils, I use a ACV rinse to deposit essential oils throughout my hair.*
6. Since it is an acid, it can help neutralize relaxers, if it is strong enough.

*=based on my personal experience

So you think it would be best to help rinse OUT the deep conditioner?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
MizaniMami said:
So you think it would be best to help rinse OUT the deep conditioner?
Yup yup! Make sure it is a bit colder than lukewarm when you use it, and follow up with water the same temperature. I am one of those freak who leaves in it after rinsing.:p

Are you thinking about using it to help make sure the relaxer is gone? I cannot find it, but someone years ago posted about letting the neutralizing shampoo do its thing, lathering up once more, letting it sit, and watching it turn pink again.

MizaniMami

Nymphe said:
Yup yup! Make sure it is a bit colder than lukewarm when you use it, and follow up with water the same temperature. I am one of those freak who leaves in it after rinsing.:p

Are you thinking about using it to help make sure the relaxer is gone? I cannot find it, but someone years ago posted about letting the neutralizing shampoo do its thing, lathering up once more, letting it sit, and watching it turn pink again.

Yes. I am not using a neutralizing poo ths route. I am just going with the Profective Neutralizing Mousse.

I thought that I should:
1. Rinse, rinse rinse out the relaxer.
2. Apply Keraphix for a few minutes then rinse. (maybe, I may take this step out)
3. Apply Profetive Neutralizing, wait, rinse, and do it again.
4. Deep condition with AVEDA DR treat
5. Follow up with Aveda DR conditoner.
6. THEN do the ACV rinse as my final risne.

How does that sound?

goldensensation

Glad it worked for you!

As I told you in the message, I find that my hair prefers for me to do my ACVs before shampooing. Everything works better this way (for me).

Woah! You used a really potent mix there. 50/50 ACV to water! I normally do close to 2 cups of ACV to two quarts of water.

I also do an ACV when I relax. I do it after I neutralize with the Profectiv Neutralizing Mousse. I've found that it makes my hair stronger and bouncier after the relaxing process (whereas normally I would have to wait until the next wash to experience that).

HTH.:)

Arcadian

MizaniMami said:
Yes. I am not using a neutralizing poo ths route. I am just going with the Profective Neutralizing Mousse.

I thought that I should:
2. Apply Keraphix for a few minutes then rinse. (maybe, I may take this step out)

How does that sound?

You may want to put keraphix toward the end.

Once I rinse out my relaxer I use an acidfying conditoner for 5 minutes before I shampoo. (it really dosen't matter which one as long as its between 3-4.5PH) I use a conditioner for convenience sake, but acv can be used with no problem. Most people who have used it use it in a pretty high acv/water ratio.

After that step, then I shampoo. I usually put a color rinse on my hair after the shampoo part THEN do a deep conditioner that has keraphix in it at the end. I then rinse with cool water.

Just my opinion but two ACV rinses may be too much and may be drying to your hair.

You would have to do a much weaker ACV rinse at the end than one you'd use right after the relaxer was rinsed. I personally think that cool water (or as cold as you can stand it, does a better job for that last rinse.

However, if you do go this route its probably a good idea to get some PH strips so that you can make sure you're not going too acidic.

HTH

-A

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
MizaniMami said:

I thought that I should:

How does that sound?
Of course, my first reaction is skip #2, but that my ignorance of current relaxer technology speaking. Is this what you normally do minus the ACV rinse? If so, it should not be a problem, just make sure the rinse is not too strong. I tend to use a weak solution of 1/4 cup ACV to 2 quarts of water.

MizaniMami

Nymphe said:
Of course, my first reaction is skip #2, but that my ignorance of current relaxer technology speaking. Is this what you normally do minus the ACV rinse? If so, it should not be a problem, just make sure the rinse is not too strong. I tend to use a weak solution of 1/4 cup ACV to 2 quarts of water.

Gotcha! I was thinking about skipping number 2 anyways.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
How far in advance are you ladies making your concotions? I'm lazy, so I would like to make one and keep it stored in a old shampoo bottle for a month or two. Would that be okay or should I make one right before I use it?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
B_Phlyy said:
How far in advance are you ladies making your concotions? I'm lazy, so I would like to make one and keep it stored in a old shampoo bottle for a month or two. Would that be okay or should I make one right before I use it?
I made one with an herbal tea and it was fine over two weeks later. I usually make it the day before in an old pitcher and store it in the frig. Won't your hand get tired of squeezing a bottle getting all of the fluid out?

shocol

MizaniMami said:

I used it as part of the neutralizing process. I read something about it in one of Sareca's posts, so I thought I would try it since I also use Phytorelaxer. It takes a lot of washes to get all that neutralized. So last time I did three washes with the neutralizing shampoo, then did the ACV rinse. Then did another wash and the foam was white. All done, so it worked for me.