Dumb question- what does a dominican salon do?

calliope

I know that this question has probably been answered a million times, but I hope that someone can help answer it a million and one: What do they do to your hair in a Dominican salon? And, what on earth is a Dominican blowout? Is it different from when a regular stylist blow dries your hair? I would love to try this because they are all over the salon review board, but I'm scurred to try something new before really knowing what it is and knowing if it's ok for a type 4b. I heard of a couple of good ones here in Philly, but I'll wait until someone gives me the breakdown before I go.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

A dominican blow-out is when the hair is roller-set after it dries they spray Salerm blowing oil on the hair and take a hand drier w/nozzle attachment concentrating on the roots and they use a ceramic round brush to pull the hair out while the heat from the drier straightens it. When your done you look like you had it curled w/ the stove culers the other salons use. the difference is that the hair is more silky to touch, shine like never before and more body than ever. Every move you make the hair goes w/you. They also do relaxers, texturizers, trims, cuts, rod-sets, doobies=after they roller-set they wrap the hair and put bobbie pins to hold it, etc. I have never seen them press-n-curl but I have watched them take a 6 yr old girl whose hair was so thick and very kinky buy the time they were done her blow-out it looked as if she had a press-n-curl minus all the pressing grease, looked like she had a relaxer. I can recommend the one on 7th and Lehigh if you want to try it, Elizabeth is the owner and she does hair to, ask for her and let her stlyle your hair after your Poo and dry, she makes sure it's done right before anyone walks out.

calliope

Thanks BWE!

Do you also get your hair relaxed there too? I have about six weeks before it's time for another retouch and I'm trying to find someone in Philly who isn't scissor happy and knows what they are doing. I would appreciate any recommendations and I'm going to try the Dominican salon to help me along during my stretch. But, another question: Does the round brush and/or the heat damage your hair at all? I mean, does it make a lot of it fall out like when you use a blow drier at home?

sky_blu

That just seem so crazy to me that they roll your hair just to blow dry it then take each one out one by one and blow dry it again. Well thats my thoughts from what Ive read they do.

caligirl

They rollerset the hair on big rollers so that it dries straight and smooth, with a little bend at the ends. Then they blowdry each section with a round brush and hot dryer to get the hair really silky. The good salons will not burn your scalp. You have to know what you're doing because that blowdryer is like a TORCH. Don't go to any ole' Dominican salon.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I don't allow them to do my hair, if you look at my avatar that's me on a regular, and since there are men at the salon sometimes I don't take a chance. But, my daughter, who's only 8, gets her hair done, my mom, my aunts and cousin's go. My mom hair was like doll hair and they grew her hair out. My cousins are beyond BSL a few inches above WL and they go to the dominicans only, I watched Elizabeth trim my cousin hair and she didn't get scissor happy, only a half inch because she's lazy and only goes to the salon every 3 months, LOL, in the mean time she keeps it wrapped. Another stylist gave my daughter a duster, so I believe they give your hair exactly what it needs. They did give my other cousin a touch-up and they didn't under or overprocess the hair. :) HTH
calliope said:
Thanks BWE!

Do you also get your hair relaxed there too? I have about six weeks before it's time for another retouch and I'm trying to find someone in Philly who isn't scissor happy and knows what they are doing. I would appreciate any recommendations and I'm going to try the Dominican salon to help me along during my stretch. But, another question: Does the round brush and/or the heat damage your hair at all? I mean, does it make a lot of it fall out like when you use a blow drier at home?

SleekandBouncy

Everyone answered already, but I'll add they are like black salons in that they know how to take care of our type hair, very moisturizing products, etc, but they are like white (or to be pc, *some*) salons their ideal is bouncy swingy hair. At DS you get the swing of pantene commercials but with products and techniques for our hair, they hate stiff greasy hair. Blowdrying can be very damaging, I have my stylist blow straight my roots, spray it with sheen spray and then I wrap it at home, basically I get the swing of newly relaxed hair but I avoid the damage of weekly heat.

brwnsug20

I am a natural too and I am wondering if the technique would work on my hair. I am a 3c/4a. I was also wondering what type of hairdryer they use. Is it a handheld or is it one that you have to sit under and also what is the wattage? I know I have a zillion questions but I might want to give them a try when I visit NY in a month or so.

DiamondStar

calliope said:
I know that this question has probably been answered a million times, but I hope that someone can help answer it a million and one: What do they do to your hair in a Dominican salon? And, what on earth is a Dominican blowout? Is it different from when a regular stylist blow dries your hair? I would love to try this because they are all over the salon review board, but I'm scurred to try something new before really knowing what it is and knowing if it's ok for a type 4b. I heard of a couple of good ones here in Philly, but I'll wait until someone gives me the breakdown before I go.

Hi! I am 5 months post relaxer, and I went to a Domincan salon a few weeks ago for the first time near Philadelphia. In my opinion, it wasn't worth it. The products were not great, and they were not gentle with my hair. They also use entirely too much heat. My ears were burned after they blow-dryed my hair. Unless your hair can handle it, I can't imagine someone going to get a blow(burn)out regularly. I won't visit that salon again. My roots were straight for a few days though, which was nice!

Also, out of about ten ladies in the shop, only one had nice healthy, hair. She was natural...and her hair was fierce with thickness and shine. Some ladies had length, but also had thin, transparent ends. I also witnessed a lady getting a relaxer touch up yanked through her entire length of hair from root to tip. It was rinsed out and dryed under the dryer, and then highlights were applied:eek:

But hey, if your hair can handle it, go for it, but if I had to judge from my experience, they are no better than a regular salon, in my opinion. My hair was okay, but it wasn't worth it. :(
Since I only visited 1 salon, I won't generalize and say all Dominican Salons are terrible. Perhaps another DS would be different, I don't know :confused: .

macherieamour

I feel you. It depends on the salon you go to. My hair was really healthy and then I started going to Domincan salons to save money while in NY. I did a rollert set and had my roots blown out like every week. My hair started breaking off horribly around the edges from all the yanking and pullling and the hot blow dryers. Also, the products dried out my scalp and hair ( they used this whale sperm conditioner and my hair felt like seaweed). Also, I went to get a relaxer and they burned my scalp off. And, my hair never really grew- it grew like a weed when i went to Olives in Boston. Sooooo... yeah make sure you go to a good one. It was hard to walk away from those straight roots tho :mad: So, I just learned how to do it myself. Now I have straight roots, moisturized hair and 20 extra dollars in my pocket :grin:

caligirl

brwnsug20 said:
I am a natural too and I am wondering if the technique would work on my hair. I am a 3c/4a. I was also wondering what type of hairdryer they use. Is it a handheld or is it one that you have to sit under and also what is the wattage? I know I have a zillion questions but I might want to give them a try when I visit NY in a month or so.

I'm natural and I go to a dominican salon exclusively. But you have to go to a dominican salon that welcomes ALL types of hair...not just the silky, wavy "good" hair. Mine is coarse and thick but they NEVER complain.
They use a handheld dryer. Some people with silkier hair get a rollerset first then a blowdry. Oh, I bring my own shampoo and conditioner but they put a little jojoba oil on it prior to blowdrying.