Dying relaxed hair

Lilmama1011

Was anyone else scared about dying their relaxed hair, I am so nervous but I will do no bleaching. Just use a 20 volume developer, which I found out is the highest you can use on relaxed hair and going to dye it red, I don't know what brand they will use at the salon but getting it done by the Dominicans, but my fear has decreased each day and feel all I have to do is moisturize and their should be no breakage. So many people were telling me it will take out your hair but I know a dye soaks up moisture and they admitted they didn't like moisturizing so I assume it's that simple. I for sure don't have problems moisturizing. Any advice?

kupenda

In order for you to get red hair you have to bleach sugar. I may be wrong. But I've never seen it any other way. I was not afraid to bleach my hair. I'm considering doing it again soon. Something about summer makes me wanna change my hair. Anyway. Just moisturizing is not enough. Your hair is relaxed. And then you're gonna dye it. Do you use heat at all (if you're getting this done at the Dominican salon are they gonna blowdry or put under the good dryer)? If so, that's three very harmful processes being performed on your hair. You will need to be very conscious of your moisture and protein balance. Don't do anything crazy like aphogee 2 step. But the 2 minute would be nice, maybe monthly. Depends on the state your hair is currently in. Make sure to update us!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Lilmama1011

kupenda said:
In order for you to get red hair you have to bleach sugar. I may be wrong. But I've never seen it any other way. I was not afraid to bleach my hair. I'm considering doing it again soon. Something about summer makes me wanna change my hair. Anyway. Just moisturizing is not enough. Your hair is relaxed. And then you're gonna dye it. Do you use heat at all (if you're getting this done at the Dominican salon are they gonna blowdry or put under the good dryer)? If so, that's three very harmful processes being performed on your hair. You will need to be very conscious of your moisture and protein balance. Don't do anything crazy like aphogee 2 step. But the 2 minute would be nice, maybe monthly. Depends on the state your hair is currently in. Make sure to update us!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ok I will now I'm suddenly scared and my hair is healthy and relaxed :)

golden_goddess

You shouldn't be afraid of color. I agree that it depends on the current state of your hair. I am relaxed, and I had hilites about 2 years back, and had no problems whatsoever with maintaining the health of my hair (at that time I was SL). You just have to deep condition your hair regularly, avoid direct heat and use a mild relaxer. I am one those people that doesn't moisturize throughout the week. I shampoo (weekly), deep condition, apply leave-in, rollerset and dry under a hooded dryer. Sometimes I apply silicone sprays or serums, but that's it for me. If you already have a good routine, stick with it for the most part, and tweak it as needed (possibly incorporating more protein).

But remeber that the lighter the color, the greater the potential for damage. To get a bright red, you will need a blonde base.

Also, the longer the hair is, the more love & attention it needs. So it may be harder to maintain long color-treated/bleached hair.

lana

Color broker my relaxed hair OFF! Snap, crackle, pop!

So I went natural and found LHCF....life is all good now (Texlaxed).
I will never color again. Ever.

Ever.....(creeps out of thread)

Nayna

Unbothered
How red are you going? You do not need to bleach your hair to get red hair unless you are trying to go as red as Rihanna did. I suggest you make sure your stylist understands how high you are trying to go because 20 is a medium to light lift if your hair is really dark. If you are willing to put the work in to moisturize you hair you can definitely maintain colored relaxed hair. Also check what brand of color they are using if you are not bringing your own.

Let me just mention; I'm natural and I highlighted my hair to that color in my siggie. No bleach, I used a 40 in that one. My hair was fine for a year until I had to re-do the highlights with a different brand. My hair wasn't feeling it. I chopped a lot off and I'm growing it out and I've colored my hair jet black. It's doing way better now.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Using a semi permanent color is best if you want to avoid damage. Is getting the red color worth it?:look:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I'm relaxed and want to dye the front of my hair lighter. Just a few streaks. But I know the damages it will cause so I'm hesitant. Although I figured it is only the bang area so what the heck. LOL

Think I"m still going to hold off though. Maybe when I get to my goal then I'll screw around with progress. :-/

candy626

You don't need bleach to go reddish brown or dark auborn. I have dyed my hair red at home these colors with box dye. To go go for a very virbant red you may need bleach, a hi-lift color, or 30 volume developer.

Color can be tricky and really depends on your hair health and hair type. I have not had issues with color because I have used gentle at home hair color for the most part (Revlon Colorsilk, Loreal Excellene, Silk Elements. I also used Feria which I would say was kind of drying). I also applied my own highlights with Loreal Excellence Highlight Creme.

I would go to a stylist who will have a consultation with you before they apply the color. I would find out what products they are going to use and what they will do to during the process to maintain the integrity of your hair.