Self dying

hnntrr

So I really want to dye my hair,
I am going to use a semi permanent I know for sure and I just want to color the top half of my hair. I am not going to bleach it at all I am pretty sure since I don't want drastic color, just a subtle hue change.

I would rather not use henna.

Does anyone have any suggestions for self dying, especially dying in sections?

I am looking at Loreal Excellent Cremelights. But I have to see what Cvs has.

yuhlovevybz

I've actually done the opposite - I dyed the back half of my hair!

I'll attach pictures later but it was very simple; part hair in half, apply dye to desired section. I tied up the section I did NOT want color on in a pony tail and rinsed using the attachment in the kitchen sink to avoid color leaking onto the side I wanted the same.

Loreal Feria is my favorite when it comes to blue black. This time I used garnier color and it was pretty good but not as drastic. For first time, it really depends on what color if you want. If looking just to tint, I'd suggest manic panic. I tinted the top half red and it stayed that way foreverrr!!!!!!!

Here is my manic panic red hair (don't qoute mah face!)

IMG_6150[1].JPG

Here is how I applied dye to the back of my hair (just slapped it on and left it there for the time indicated on the instructions)

IMG_7250[1].JPG

End result .. you can only really see it when I wear it up since my bottom layers aren't as long as my top ones,

IMG_7397[1].JPG

I actually stick to the 'cheap' dyes (loreal, garnier, etc) because they are not as strong and I get less damage from them. I've experienced awful damage from bleaching my hair. I've died my hair at least 6 times this year using bigen, manic panic, loreal and garnier fructis and I still have hair on my head that has grown nicely. All of those dyes followed a salon dye job that went horrible wrong. So because of that i liked to at-home dye. :lol:

Last edited:

NaturalPath

If your hair is not virgin hair keep in mind that this will alter the color that is typically shown on the box.

My recent hair color took way too many color dye + bleaching attempts because in the past I used to dye it a jet black color.

I preferably use the ION or Argan oil hair dyes with a 20% developer cream. I have never had too much success with box dyes.

sexypebbly

I'm curious about this too. Anyone ever had to leave the dye in longer than indicated or had to do several applications because your hair didn't take the color?