ecostyler for dry two strand twisting?

BeautifulRoots

Hey! I plan on doing some dry two strand twists on my hair for a protective style for two or three weeks. I was wondering about what to do for hold. I love krystal ecostyler gel for twist outs. I am interested in trying it for dry twists. Only thing is, I want to use it mixed with another product so it won't be as crunchy. Have you guys tried to make a homemade pudding using ecostyler?

Last edited:

choctaw

There is an eco custard recipe on the hair forums:

1 cup eco styler
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp EVCO
1 tbsp AVG

I have not used it as yet so I don't have an opinion. HTH.

Nonie

@OP, your hair looks like it can hold twists w/o any product. Do you twirl the strands first in one direction before wrapping them around the each other in the opposite direction? When you do that, the twists just seem to hold well and the hair doesn't tangle as the twirling keeps the hairs in each strand separate from that in the other. If you then dipped the ends in water and pressed them together, you'd get coils that hold nicely:

BeautifulRoots

@OP, your hair looks like it can hold twists w/o any product. Do you twirl the strands first in one direction before wrapping them around the each other in the opposite direction? When you do that, the twists just seem to hold well and the hair doesn't tangle as the twirling keeps the hairs in each strand separate from that in the other. If you then dipped the ends in water and pressed them together, you'd get coils that hold nicely:

Thanks for the idea...never tried this method before...I do have problems with tangling after i take the twists out so I may try doing this when I do my twists.

My hair can hold twists without product, but I notice it gets a little frizzy after a few days unless I twist it with some kind of product. It stays fresher longer for me.

Nonie

You know what's interesting, my experience is the opposite. With product, my hair is slippery and while I do fairly good twists I find they aren't as firm as w/o product.

deltagyrl

Please let us know how this turns out.

I usually retwist with a leave-in. Scared to use gel on dry hair...

Geminigirl

Well just came in cause I thought you were trying to use plain eco on your hair, and I didn't think that was going ot be a good idea cause eco is so thick, BUT dang you got a lot of pretty hair!

BeautifulRoots

Please let us know how this turns out.

I usually retwist with a leave-in. Scared to use gel on dry hair...

I will let you know what happens...I usually use ors lock and twist gel but I didn't bring it down with me for the holidays. I have to work with what I brought with me. I think I may end up using the recipe that was posted with some tweaks. A mixture of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil and ecostyler.

JennyKenny

My hair does well with Cantu Shea Butter. It keeps my hair really moisturized. Since I keep them in the entire week it really doesn't need too much product because I get a lot of definition after so long.

mj11051

My homemade curly pudding

4oz shea butter
1oz Olive Oil
1oz Coconut oil
10oz Ecostyler Gel

I use this on wet or dry hair and my twist last for a long time and I have lovely twist out. Try it!:lol:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm using ecostyler on top of my Qhemet honey balm and Burdock Root Cream. So far, my twists are moisturized and defined! I'm happy someone made this thread!

BeautifulRoots

So, the ecostyler recipe I tried is AMAZING! :love:

My twists are moist and shiny, but have good hold. I did a few of the twists a little too big so I had to take them apart and make them smaller. Before I separated them, I noticed that I had the perfect little twist out. Moisturized and shiny w/ nice definition and hold. Never seen my hair do a twist out like that.

So this recipe is a keeper! Will definitely be using this for braidouts and twistouts also. :)

Here's what I ended up using.

1/2 cup ecostyler krystal
1 tbsp castor oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coconut oil

GlamaDiva

So, the ecostyler recipe I tried is AMAZING! :love:

My twists are moist and shiny, but have good hold. I did a few of the twists a little too big so I had to take them apart and make them smaller. Before I separated them, I noticed that I had the perfect little twist out. Moisturized and shiny w/ nice definition and hold. Never seen my hair do a twist out like that.

So this recipe is a keeper! Will definitely be using this for braidouts and twistouts also. :)

Here's what I ended up using.

1/2 cup ecostyler krystal
1 tbsp castor oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coconut oil

I just whipped up a custard similar to this except I used the ecostyler olive oil (1/4 cup), castor and grapeseed oil and shea butter bc they were handy. Can't wait to see how my dry twist out comes out tomorrow :)

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I just whipped up a custard similar to this except I used the ecostyler olive oil (1/4 cup), castor and grapeseed oil and shea butter bc they were handy. Can't wait to see how my dry twist out comes out tomorrow :)

I made some today 20oz olive oil ecostyler, 6oz shea butter, 2oz coco butter, 2 oz olive oil, and 6oz aloe vera gel. So far I like it.

choctaw

I like eco custard ... you can add enough oil and moisturizers to reduce the drying effect of the gel. All it takes is a shot of distilled water or rosewater and old Eco is laid out like the town drunk ... ooops ... product abuse :look: