Two Strand Twist Unravel from Root

faithVA

I am a 4a/? natural with NL hair. I usually wear my hair in small two strand twists or finger coils. Not matter what I do my hair seems to unravel about 1/2" to 1" at the root within 24 to 48 hours. I try to grab it very close to the root and start the twists. I am pleased with it for the 1st 24 hours.

I use HydraThermals line as my wash/condition/moisturize regimen. I always wear a satin bonnet.

This is what I have tried.

I have done it on wet hair and dry hair.
I have tried moisturizing and not moisturizing days after styling.
I have twisted with: EcoStyler Gel, CD Loc Butter, Shea Whip, Castor Oil, Straightening Pudding, Root Stimulator Loc Gel and some other stuff

A stylist did comb coils when my hair was very short. That did stay for several weeks with no issue. I am sure she used the brown protek gel.

I know I have seen pictures of others with twists that look great after a week. My twists look 2 weeks old after 3 days.

I will probably be in this style for a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

faithVA

No I haven't. It sounds like it might work. It sounds painful though with the extra styling time especially when taking it out. I will try it on one or two tonight.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
My twists have a tendency to loosen at the scalp too I've noticed. But to me they don't look that bad. They only really start to look old whenever I try to cowash them. That's when they get really fuzzy and have to go. Sorry I don't have any suggestions except to pull the split hair parts tight at the root after making a couple of twists and then proceeding to twist tightly thereafter. Not sure if this would be effective though.

faithVA

Thanks. I am trying to do that. That look fine when I'm done. They just don't last. It's almost as if I washed all the gel off the roots. Its very weird.

I may try something with a wax in it to see if that helps.