Edges, Hairline, and Nape--OH MY!!!

Your Cheeziness

For me, those areas are where my hair is the finest and takes the most manipulation. The best thing I did for those areas was to relax them dead last and do minimal smoothing. I started retaining like crazy.

i went from taco meat to full sl nape. You can see my progress in my fotki. http://public.fotki.com/ECheezy/napeprogress/

Besides that, moisturizing with a cream moisturizer (Hydrotherma Naturals moisturizer) and sealing with an oil daily (Hairveda Cocasta oil) helped alot.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
How do you, I guess, "settle" your hair at night? Sorry if you answered already, browsing on my phone.

Right now I'm in a sew-in so I just use a bonnet. Before the sew-in I would pin my hair loosely, then put on a silk scarf, not to tight, with a doo-rug to hold it down, or just use the doo-rag. I like the doo-rags because that sucka don't move and you don't have to tie it tight.

locabouthair

For me, the hair in those areas is really fine. Styling & pulling the hair back, even a loose bun, inevitably leads to shorter hairs around those areas. Don't quote me, but I think it would be less of a problem if the hair is worn loose & down most of the time, without heat. But I'm not testing that theory until I reach "maintenance mode" so oh well. :look: It doesn't bother me too much.

I never had a problem with my edges or hairline because I was wearing it loose. I would would wear updos but they wouldnt be tight. My hairline didnt suffer until I started wearing half-wigs.

That’s the reason I stopped wearing wigs. Well I stop using anything that applies too much tension on my hair, edges, or nape. As far as making that area flourish after the damage, I have no answers. My edges have grown back, but noticeably thinner.

How long were you wearing the wig for?

Ladies I am so mad and dissapointed in myself.

I have worn braids and off for like 15/20 years and never noticed problems with my hairline but I wore a half wig for 6 months (and only wore it for 5 hours out of the day and took out the combs) and noticed that my temples were receding:sad: I wore it with a headband. I was trying to make the front of my own hair nice and sleek and then wore a headband to cover the front of the wig I guess I pulled it back too tightly. I should have known better:sad:

I noticed my temples receding in December and I still havent seen much of a difference but then again I am always in the mirrow staring at it so that might not be helping. (they say a watched pot doesn't boil right?)

Anyway I attached pictures. The first two are what my hair line USED to look like. The last three are what they look like now:sad: Thankfully 90% of my hairline is in tact but I'm still mad at myself.

I actually havent been in this forum as much as I used to be because I was so pissed about this. I'm so mad at myself. I've been reading about traction alopecia and they say the hair can grow back if you change to a looser hairstyle and the hair should grow back in 3 months or so. It's been 4 months and I havent seen a change. They say if there isn't any permanent scarring on the follicles the hair should grow back.

I just called the derm to see if they can do a scalp biopsy to tell me if there is any scarring to the follicle. I just want to know once and for all so that I can stop worrying myself. Everytime I look in the mirror I'm pissed all over again.

I'll never change up my regimen again. Lesson learned. Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg