Ever mixed garlic powder to your conditioner?

Adding Garlic Powder to conditioner...yay or nay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmmmm.....I'd wait to see what others say first. :lachen:

Someone did have a thread talking about mixing garlic cloves with an oil (I forgot which one). She melted it in the microwave and put it on her scalp. she said it was very effective. I'm going to try that after I do my touch up.

Here's the link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=409542&highlight=shedding

I found this thread and tired it..it works..the first time I used about 10 fresh cloves cut in half, put in olive oil a few drops of rosemary & castor oil heated in microwave, let cool the reheated..let cool til warm and applied as hot oil treatment it stunk bad..the rosemary oil made it really smell...the second time I did the same thing w/o the rosemary..same results less stink..absolutely no shedding...but it made my hair hard..must dc afterwards also helps rid of the smell. I got the big tub of prepeeled garlic from Sam's.

Mz.MoMo5235

ok, for those using the garlic powder... are yall using regular ole garlic powder from the grocery store... or some special garlic powder?!

Mz.MoMo5235

really now?!?!? oh, i will for sure try this!!! see, i'm lazy and all the work people go through with chopping up garlic and mixing with oils and microwaving or heating up on the stove and pre-pooing is too much for me... but this is basically doing what i'm already doing, just adding some freaking powder to it!!! i can do that!!!

AWESOME!!! finna try it, thank you!

jamaraa

i have tried it ... the only down side is the after smell in my spray bottle

Spray bottle, huh? Are you adding this to your leave in or something? Nah..set some of your deep conditioner aside in a glass bowl (avoid stink lingerage :blush: :lachen:) and add your garlic to that. Don't do it in plastic or it the plastic will end up stinking after a few such uses (unless you just have an old thing you don't care about). I'd microwave the powder in as much water as is necessary to get rid of the grit, let it cool, and then add it to my set aside conditioner.

No spray bottles involved! :grin:

Last edited:

jamaraa

I was wondering the same thing... if it would be ok to mix w/ a protein con.

I can't see why not other than........THE STINK! :perplexed Tea tree+ garlic = oy vey garlic + Aphogee 2 step = :blush: ...you get the pic!

Garlic OIL....where does one get that just to buy? As a base for cooking food and garlic bread, yup, I make it...but does someone make garlic oil for hair that's not full of mineral oils (ie the Dominican garlic oils)? If so, post a link please, I wanna see this for myself. :look:

If you can stand the smell, I can't see how it would hurt you hair. However, I would do them separately...garlic w/ a moisture condish and protein alone and at another session.

FYI to all.....garlic cloves are too expensive for this, IMHO. (I adore artisinal garlics and they cost $$$$, save that for eatin' :yep:) The powder are cheaper than a head of garlic and they stink less.

NappyGoddesse

So I gave this a try today...hmmm...the smell wasn't too great, but not overwhelmingly bad, either. I added the garlic powder to some Vatika Coconut Hair oil and let sit for a couple of hours, warmed in the microwave, stirred, and put into my scalp and hair that was divided into four sections. After about 30 minutes I rinsed using some balsam and protein conditioner. I am now sitting with some aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, but I still have some grit in my hair from the garlic powder. Not sure how I feel about it, yet, but we'll see when I rinse and let air dry.

sparklebh

GIRLS, GARLIC POWDER IS THE BEST. 1TSP IS REALLY ALL YOU NEED TO GET THE JOB DONE, BUT YOU CAN DO MORE AS YOU KNOW. JUST WASH OUT WELL AND YOU HAVE PUT SHEDDING IN CHECK. YOU CAN DO THIS EACH WASH OR CD WASH DAYS IT WILL NOT HURT YOUR HAIR. GIRL SAVE YOUR MONEY AND USE THE POWDER. TRY WASHING YOUR HAIR WITH A VERY GOOD SMELLING CONDISH TO KILL THE GARLIC SMELL.

longhairlover

I have done this, but I put too much and I ended up stinking up the house, but it did stop the shedding on contact. Just don't put too much, I added it to my cheapie conditioner.

lilsparkle825

I did this last fall when I was using MT. I also get crazy shedding in the fall, so that on top of the MT had me feeling like all my hair was coming out! It works...and as a matter of fact, I need to jump back on it. All that hair in my shower comb the other day was :nono:

Leesh

I have done this, but I put too much and I ended up stinking up the house, but it did stop the shedding on contact. Just don't put too much, I added it to my cheapie conditioner.

May I ask, which method did You actually use?, I am currently shedding and need a quick fix, Powder or Oil?

Stiletto_Diva

I just mixed some garlic powder with my Aussie moist and Suave coconut conditioner. The smell wasn't too bad and it disappeared after I cowashed with my Honey Hemp conditioner. I had a lot less hair in my denman after I detangeld, so this is a keeper!

Geminigirl

I am going to try this on my next wash..which may be tomorrow. I think I am shedding. I know I am experiencing breakage. I don't think it's normal schedding it seems excessive. So I am going to try this and see what happens.

SherylsTresses

I try to kill several birds with one stone so this is what I do:

Shedding/Dandruff Prepoo
1 cup Pantene moisturizing conditioner
4 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp tea tree oil
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp peppermint oil

Mix very well and sleep in overnight. :yep:

Last edited:

washize

I don't think garlic powder would have the same enzymes, and living ingredients to do anything to your hair. It would most likely be best to take a garlic clove or two and juice it.:ohwell:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
What a great idea SherylsTresses! I'm about seven wks post and I'm beginning to notice a few more shed hairs than usual. I'll try this as a pre-poo next wash :yep: I :heart: LHCF!

Geminigirl

Ok I am going to try this today. Are you all putting this on dry hair? Right now I have Amla oil sitting on my head.