EVOO -- The Holy Grail of Oils?

chayil0427

Ladies

As you know I've been a castor oil fan for a while now, but even I must admit that it can be so thick at times.

Well about two weeks ago I was watching HSN and they were going on about olive oil (EVOO=Extra Virgin Olive Oil) in some product or another. And I was thinking...wow...seems like everyone who has a hair line nowadays has some olive oil products. So why not just straight up EVOO?

So I whipped my bottle out of the kitchen cabinet and smoothed it on. The first night I mixed it with castor oil, but I still got that gumminess. Next night I washed and just used EVOO. All I can say is WOW. This oil (which is thin and very easy to work with) penetrates the hair and scalp BEAUTIFULLY overnight. My hair felt very soft and smooth.

After almost 2 weeks of use, I'm noticing that even the dry over processed ends are feeling "moist" and looking shiner and healthier, my hair has an amaizing sheen, and wraps and styles like a dream.

I also love to mist on a little light leave in conditioner and then seal with EVOO before wrapping for extra moisture. This looks and feels amaizing when I take the wrap down in the mornings.

I really think i may have found the Holy Grail of oils. Though I still will enjoy my castor oil prepoos I'm loving the amaizing improvements my hair and scalp are making using EVOO...super silky, supple hair that's light and non greasy with zero breakage...who can ask for more!

I've a million bottles of oils and jars of creams in my quest of for the perfect oil and the perfect moisturizer. Yet, I think this combo of a light mist of leave in sealed with a dash of EVOO is a keeper!

If you haven't tried pure EVOO give it a whirl. Perhaps you'll love it as much as I do!

Chayil

Mestiza

I can understand your excitement. :yep: EVOO is one of my favorite oils b/c it's so versatile. I love Castor Oil, too and mix them together, as well. To keep from having the gummy feeling, you should try mixing more EVOO and less Castor Oil.

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
That's the first oil I ever put on my hair and I was a-mazed! Not so much now, maybe it's the brand :perplexed
Glad you found something you love.

chayil0427

One of the things I think is so interesting about this board is how different our responses to products can be. A group can be positively crunk about something and then another group will be like uh uh...:ohwell:

just goes to show u how much diversity there is in "black hair"

any other EVOO comments?

Chayil

:yep: My hair loves this stuff! I just "rediscovered" EVOO this week when I read a thread about oil rinses.

Plus, the dry air in my house and office has been giving me a drier, itchier scalp. The oil rinse soothed it beautifully. No itches since!

RubyWoo

I so feel you! This is the only oil that I use consistently and works wonderfully on my ends. After every wash session, I put EVOO on my ends and after my hair is dry; the ends feel nice and supple. It's the only oil that I can use on dry or wet air and get fabulous results.

lunabelle

I can understand your excitement. :yep: EVOO is one of my favorite oils b/c it's so versatile. I love Castor Oil, too and mix them together, as well. To keep from having the gummy feeling, you should try mixing more EVOO and less Castor Oil.

Yeah I may try this. My castor oil is so thick and gummy.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I really like evoo too. I kinda got out of using it for my hair for some reason. I use it for my face more now and it feels great.

My cousin's grandmother used to use evoo on her as a child and her hair was always super long and healthy so I think it's a great oil. I kinda switch back and forth with my oils and right now I'm using jojoba.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Chay,ITA it is "The Holy Grail of Oils

My dh has been using EVOO on his hair for years before shampoo scalp very dry and flacky. EVOO does a great job my only issue he goes for the more expensive olive oil. I tried to give him Aldi brand refused.
DH told me Bertolli brand better.:lachen:

I used EVOO on stomach while pregnant no stretch marks.

I mixed it in conditioner and other oils as prepoo.

There are so many hair products that contain olive oil on the market it is amazing.

prospurr4

EVOO was the first oil I ever used on my hair when I began my hair journey, but I don't use it anymore. I found that if just a little bit of EVOO made its way to my face, then I would get breakout(s). Now I use castor oil for updos and coconut oil when I want something lighter. My hair (and skin) love both of these oils.

stargazer613

I love it, too!!! It makes a great pre-poo on dry hair or mixed with a conditioner. I use it on my face, too. Keeps it soft.

Mestiza

Yeah I may try this. My castor oil is so thick and gummy.

You really should give it a try. Castor Oil is very thick and mixing a thinner oil w/ it makes it so much easier to apply. I hope that you like it, too.

chayil0427

I was wondering if the acidity of olive oil is the reason it smooths the hair so beautifully not thinking that you cant measure of the pH of stuff that's not water soluable (I shoulda known that...I just took a monster chemistry test on acids bases ph equilibrium and a whole bunch of other stuff :look:)

Yet I did fine a pretty interesting website with some interesting olive oil facts if you're a nerd and like to know things like i do. give her a peek.

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olivechemistry.htm#pH:

:yep:

Evazhair

My hair loves olive oil. I use it straight or in mixtures. My grandma used it in her hair,and my little cousin used to have banging pigtails with olive oil.