Experiences wth JC Penney Salons?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
My new stylist is a JC Penney's stylist. I really liked her. I can't recall hearing any bad stories here on the board about JC Penney's stylists. I think one of the definite pros to using a JC Penney's salon is that the stylist is accountable to someone else (as each salon has a manager) . The stylists who are being scissor happy and switching relaxers on you without telling you and what not are their own boss and do not have to answer to any one.

I guess this would be something to consider if you're in the market for a new stylist.

northernbelle

Thanks, Supergirl. Great advice.

The stylist who nursed my hair back to health in 1990 after three years of poor relaxing technique in the was a former JC Penney stylist.

northernbelle

Robin41

I think there are a few of us here on the board who've sworn allegiance to the salon at JC Penney's. I know I've raved about it in the past.

I made the switch from storefront "salons" to Penney's a few months ago and I'm hooked. I LOVE my stylist, she's so talented it's scary, I never have to wait to get in her chair, the staff is friendly and professional and best of all, they use Mizani products!

My only complaint is it's a little pricey ($80 for a touch-up) but totally worth every penny (no pun intended).

northernbelle

Actually, Robin41, I pay about $85.00 for a touch-up. So, in my experience, that's standard pricing.

I am glad you are pleased with your JC Penney stylist. It makes me think that the next time I relocate, and unable to find a suitable stylist, I will give serious consideration to a JC Penney salon.

Thanks for the feedback!

northernbelle

Cindy70

I always had good experiences when I went to JcPenneys styling salons. Everyone there is always very courteous and professional. The last time I had a touch up done there, which was last year, it was $55. I guess pricing depends upon the area.

A_Christian

I'm glad to hear so many good things about JC Penney Salons from all of you. I also have a stylist who used to work there and is the best, she really knows how to assist in growing healthy hair. I also like the level of professionalism there and the fact that you don't have to wait very long to get your hair done. The relaxer retouches are a whopping $80 where I live, but I am pleased with the service. I've never been overprocessed at a JC Penney salon.

SingingStar12

My mother used to work at a JCPenney's salon when she was younger. She has kept my hair as healthy as she could. She applies at home relaxers and trims (and cuts
) and is very professional. She was the person who taught me how to do my hair and LHCF has added to my knowledge. My hair is thicker and possibly healthier than it has been in a year. I have never had my hair done in a salon before and I wasn't allowed to wash my own hair until this summer. The only thing I wonder about is $85 for a touch-up? Wow! To me, that's a lot of money for a touch-up.

DahomeyAhosi

All of the good stylists I've had do my hair have been employed by JCP. You're right it's pricy but it's a nice atmoshphere and they use good products.

buffyangelfan2

Wow. I am glad I found this topic. I just got a customer service job at JC Penny. They have a salon in there but the section where the beauticians work is closed off and I can't see if they have a black beautician in there or not. Or anyone that can do African American hair. I am just going to have to work up enough nerve to ask the receptionist. I am tired of Regis salon and the employee discount that I will get with JCP is an added bonus.

sylviaetc

hmmm... i live right near a jc penney salon and it never occured to me to get my hair done there. you know, you're always hearing about in store salons messing up your hair; or only employing white hairstylist who don't know what to do... but, i'll have to give it a try...

Allandra

I used to get my hair done at a JC Penney Styling Salon a long time ago. My stylist there was great (moved away).

jaibee

Please be careful... I have been to jcpenney salons in atlanta and my experience was good, but i went to two in florida and my hair came out dry and i got my hair burned at one of them. so i guess it depends on where you are. but my hair doesn't care too much for mizani products and they use them a lot a jcpenney.

myco

Have you ever been to the salon at Northlake Mall? I'm looking for somewhere to get my hair cut into layers in the next month and I was wondering how this location is.

Eyvonne7131

I have been to a JC Penny Salon before and to me it was ok because they carry african american products BUT to me the dryers were not as hot! My sets did not come out quite as shinny as they do when I go to the domincan place that has mega hot dryers!

joyous

I've never had a unpleasant experience at a JCP salon. I specifically asked for a AA stylist. She was professional and on time.

jaibee

yes they are good
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever been to the salon at Northlake Mall? I'm looking for somewhere to get my hair cut into layers in the next month and I was wondering how this location is.

[/ QUOTE ]

inthepink

I went to a JCPenney Salon when I first discovered my breakage. I decided not to go back. For one, she started doing things to my hair without telling me what she was doing first. She ripped through my hair with a hard bristle brush to blowdry it. Then, she started pressing my new growth without saying so. Imagine, this must've freaked me out considering I had just discovered breakage.

pooh123

Hairlove,

I thought I was the only one that had a bad experience with JC Penney. A few years ago I was going to this stylist that I liked and one time when I was getting a relaxer retouch she overprocessed the back of my hair causing seven inches of my hair to break off. I didn't realize it until like a week later but I knew something felt different about the back of my head. I was heartbroken.

Also, one of my white co-workers recently got a botched haircut last week from JC Penney.

pooh123

inthepink

I guess I wouldn't blame this all on JCPenney b/c I'm sure there are some stylists there who are just fine. I guess having a recommendation would be a plus. I've been to other salons where they rip through my hair without detangling first, too.

Zuppy

My cousin, thin,4a hair probably, has used JC over the past year. She Had slow growth and a lot of hair breakage, has acheived a lot of growth over the past year, attributes her growth and healthy hair to JC. They even introduced her to the braid-outs for holding out for touch-ups.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Whoa Hairlove,

That's bad! But at least at JCP in situations like this, you can always tell the manager and not have to deal with some stylists' funky attitude because no one is her boss.

My friend just got an under-processed relaxer at JCP. She spoke to the manager and they will be re-doing it for her free of charge