Extending Relaxers for More Than 2 months...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For those who extend their relaxers for more than 2 months or more than 8-10 weeks...

How do u wear your hair most of the time when you have a lot of new growth??? I wear my hair down most of the time and want to avoid excessive combing or messing with your hair.
How do you make the new growth look as if it is relaxed like the rest of your hair???

J

JenniferMD

If I want my hair to look as if it's relaxed like the rest of my hair I will moisturize my hair in sections, comb it into a tight bun and wrap my silk scarf around my head for the night. In the morning it's nice and smooth looking.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Lots of co washes and braid outs and bantu knot sets. Braids too! Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter keeps my newgrowth in check!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
MyNameIsCiara said:

I usually just do co washes daily, that keeps my new growth in check!

[/ QUOTE ]

How do u wear your hair after co washing?

Angelicus

co-washing & putting it in a wet bun a la activator gel (in the front) and grease on ends. or braid-outs. i like rollersetting too, IM me and let me know if you rollerset.

Poohbear

Yes I rollerset
...but not very often. Will rollersetting once a week until I get my next touch-up do the trick?

Nutmeg

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Lots of co washes and braid outs and bantu knot sets. Braids too! Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter keeps my newgrowth in check!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it! (I love HHB!) Don't Speak is even better than me, because after awhile, the hair just gets slapped in a ponytail or bun. And for me, when I'm past 12 weeks, I don't really try to make the new growth blend; actually, I like having the waves and texture!

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I'm at 11 weeeks and I CO wash my hair daily and then I roller set it. I'm just very gentle with my hair and I finger comb it in the morning.

MizAvalon

I'm at 11 weeks now and it's getting rough, but when I get to this point, I just stick with cornrows. I understand that people that work in a professional environment probably can't do this, but I work from home so it's ok for me. Literally no manipulation until wash day and my hair thanks me big time! I'm going for 15 weeks this time.

LABETT

I am 11 weeks post relaxer and co washes help get me by until I touch up again I wear instant weaves and buns.

Isis

I wear braid outs. The waves of this style match the new growth. I do not comb my hair at all until next wash day (every 3 days).

Poohbear

Well, I guess I'll start doing co-washes. I'm not a fan of braidouts but I'll try the bantu knots one week. If my hair is too unmanageable for a rollerset, I will just do what Anky does: after getting out of the shower, I'll mist my hair with distilled water, apply a leave-in & add oil to the last few inches of hair, twist hair around to make a bun and secure it with a scrunchi!

Tai

With 3B hair your hair should never be too "unmanageable" for a rollerset, no matter how long you've stretched out your relaxer. If you pull your rollers taut enough, it should straighten out your new growth, if that's the look you're after.

A_Christian

The last time I got a re-touch it was at 13 weeks post-relaxer. I did conditioner washes every 8-10 days and just wore my hair curly from a roller set from wash to wash.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
With 3B hair your hair should never be too "unmanageable" for a rollerset, no matter how long you've stretched out your relaxer. If you pull your rollers taut enough, it should straighten out your new growth, if that's the look you're after.

[/ QUOTE ]

After seeing my hair grow out, I dont think my hair is 3b anymore!
That's why I added 4a at the end but on the real note...I dont know what my hair type is!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Have your tried the ponytail method yet for your rollersets? This is what also helps to straighten your new growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have tried the ponytail method but I work in a corporate office and I want my hair to look nice. I have worn my hair like this to work but I dont want to wear it like this all the time. My hair doesn't look right in a ponytail yet because its not long enough and my hair is thin. When I airdried in a bun, it looked alright but the bun was very small.
But Im going to try the airdrying in a bun when my hair gets more new growth and maybe use a phonybun. But thats why I wanna do rollersets to give my hair style and body.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Have your tried the ponytail method yet for your rollersets? This is what also helps to straighten your new growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have tried the ponytail method but I work in a corporate office and I want my hair to look nice. I have worn my hair like this to work but I dont want to wear it like this all the time. My hair doesn't look right in a ponytail yet because its not long enough and my hair is thin. When I airdried in a bun, it looked alright but the bun was very small.
But Im going to try the airdrying in a bun when my hair gets more new growth and maybe use a phonybun. But thats why I wanna do rollersets to give my hair style and body.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the ponytail method, you don't wear your hair in a ponytail. You airdry your rollersets in ponytails to help straighten the new growth. You style your hair afterwards in any style you want. If you check out the link you'll see what I mean.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
In the ponytail method, you don't wear your hair in a ponytail. You airdry your rollersets in ponytails to help straighten the new growth. You style your hair afterwards in any style you want. If you check out the link you'll see what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH Okay! I didnt know that! I always thought you guys wore the ponytail during and after airdrying! I would always just wear the ponytail out! Thanks for the link!

Poohbear

Also...Im gonna try this when I dont feel like rollersetting my hair with a bunch of rollers. I just do the 4 ponytails, roll them up in large rollers (the largest ones I have right now are the red ones), and let them airdry.

ISIS, Did u use any products in your hair? if so, what all did u use?

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Also...Im gonna try this when I dont feel like rollersetting my hair with a bunch of rollers. I just do the 4 ponytails, roll them up in large rollers (the largest ones I have right now are the red ones), and let them airdry.

ISIS, Did u use any products in your hair? if so, what all did u use?

[/ QUOTE ]

All I use after washing and conditioning my hair, is a leave-in (Nexxus Headress or Biolage Leave In tonic for me)and just a little bit of oil (Keracare Essential Oils or a combo of my own essential oils) to seal in the moisture. A good pomade can work at this point too. I also use something to seal my ends such as Constant Care for Ends (there are many products that work like Protectiv Healthy Ends or olive oil). Then I roll up my hair.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

OH Okay! I didnt know that! I always thought you guys wore the ponytail during and after airdrying! I would always just wear the ponytail out! Thanks for the link!

[/ QUOTE ]
I want to mention here that some of the ladies do airdry their hair in regular ponytails and wear them. That is another method, without rollers.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
How do u wear your hair most of the time when you have a lot of new growth??? I wear my hair down most of the time and want to avoid excessive combing or messing with your hair.
How do you make the new growth look as if it is relaxed like the rest of your hair???

[/ QUOTE ]
I get a relaxer touch-up every four months. I had one done on January 14, 2004 and one done on May 29, 2004 (so sometimes a little over four months).

Most of the time, I wear my hair in a bun or a French twist. I also wear my hair in one braid, two braids, one cornrow or two cornrows.

My hair isn't relaxed bone straight (some say it's texturized). So, I don't concentrate on having my new growth look straight (unless I'm wearing all of my hair straight - then a roller set and wrap for that).

HTH.

chocolate01

Before when I wore my hair straight I would have someone rollset and wrap at night, my new growth was manageble after that. Lately when i'm into my third month I wear bantu knots and twist outs.

jrw

I relax may hair about every six months. I wear my hair in a single braid, ponytail, loose and bun. I find that serums and Garnier Fructis Hair Milk do wonders on smoothing my new growth.

K

kareemtiheed

A product that is called LIZ AND DAUGHTERS JUST LIKE A PERM

But i would like to know how to roller set.....
Someone pls give me the techiques