Extreme Big-up to Shtow and her Pin-curl Tutorial!

foxieroxienyc

Extreme Big-up to Shtow and her Pin-curl Tutorial! (Pics)

I've been posting an awful lot today because I'm home and bored as heck and my best friend is preparing for a move to San Fransisco and my boyfriend(s):grin: are out of town lol.

I had my hair up in pincurls all day today after following Shtow's version in her fotki, threw on a headband and it looked super cute. So right now I decided to take town the pincurls to see what they may look like and I now have the most FABULOUS tight little ringlets in my hair that are to die for, lol. I'm just excited to have achieved this look without any heat whatsoever, no products (did put in a little moisturizer for my ends), and it's a great curl that will last til my next wash. PS, I'm 4 weeks post-relaxer as well! I just wanted to share and if you havent tried her pin-curl, you should!

This was after having them in all day:

This was after having them in for an hour this morning (the curls were a little looser):

I'm going to sleep in just a satin bonnet tonight to loosen the curls so they can drop a bit more... But I'm just lovin this look! I just added a very small amount of Nexxus Humectress (yes the conditioner! On the bottle it says you can use it as a leave in, surprisingly it's VERY light) and sealed with a little bit of oil - my fav. Jamaican Mango and Lime Island Oil. When I first set the curls I used a bit of ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer and that was it. The curls are incredibly soft, no tangles or breakage, and my ends feel really good.

Here's the link to the tutorial:
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/12/pincurling-tuto.html

Her password is in her LHCF profile.

Last edited:

PuffyBrown

That looks too cute.....:yep:

Can I post your picture in our Rollerset Challenge Thread? This is an excellent example.

Keep it up girl...you are off to a great start.

nappity

You and your hair look great- now if I could only get rollersetting- then I could try some pincurls

foxieroxienyc

Thanks ladies! I like the fact that I can wear this look, have my hair out and keep it off my shoulders (lol for now).

StellaB: Sure you may post it in the rollerset/pin curl challenge thread, I'd be honored. I've actually joined that challenge.

nappity4b:
I LOVE your texture! You know I've only recently really learned how to rollerset, and it all fell into place when I got Macherie's DVD, I think it has been INCREDIBLY helpful to me. I think either she said (and I may have read elsewhere) that curly haired folks should use the mesh rollers for a better set... Have you tried them?

Sikora: Thanks so much. I got the head band at the BSS it came in a pack of 20. They're by Scunii I think (or whatever that company's name is). They dont have the metal on them so I like them. The flower I just put in and actually I purchased a few vines of fake flowers from the dollar store and use them as my flower accessories - I cut them up, I use various flowers and leaves, they look real too sometimes, they're great. You can even glue them to barettes, hair bands, etc to make your own accessories.

Last edited:

shtow

:grin:Thanks for the shout out girl!! It looks great!!!! I work at a hotel and worked 6 30am to 10pm today and I swear all day I was stalkin ur fotki cuz I couldnt wait to see how it turned out!!! I love it! U do the same thing I do. I pin curl it and sleep on it for a week. Not only that, they set FAST! Thats the beauty in it. It takes one day, u dont have to re-curl it every night! For BIG curls, I wear my hair in a ponytail for half a day and by the end of the day they have separated and fallen-leaving u with voluminous curls.

By the way, I LLOOOOVVVEEE nexxus humectress too!! I just started sealing with coconut oil and my hair stays super moisturized. Nexxus Humectress works GREAT for rollersets also. I have pics im my DEC album of that too.

Thanks again for the shout out! Got me blushin and whatnot lol :bighug:

Last edited:

foxieroxienyc

LOL no prob chica! It's a genius idea and so easy to do! This style is a definite keeper. I am surprised with how fast they do in fact set!! This is the coolest thing since sliced bread, lol.:drunk::spinning:

I can only imagine what they look like with you leaving them in for a week! Especially with your length! lol

shtow

LOL no prob chica! It's a genius idea and so easy to do! This style is a definite keeper. I am surprised with how fast they do in fact set!! This is the coolest thing since sliced bread, lol.:drunk::spinning:

I can only imagine what they look like with you leaving them in for a week! Especially with your length! lol

Thanks girl! U'll be there in no time!!! Remember, health before length. U got the health part down, the length will fly by!

Healthb4Length

Foxie, that looks so cute! You did a great job, you're a fast learner cause I've been trying for awhile to do at nice pincurl. It looks really pretty and I like the hair accessory too!

@Shtow--thanks for the instructions! You make it seem so simple, I'll be trying this out real soon!

foxieroxienyc

:rosebud:
Thanks guys! I redid them this morning because they fell a little more than I wanted them to today when I slept with my bonnet. So I sprayed a little leave in (Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave In) and then rolled them up again but this time using a highlighter as my roller (I want to see if something with a bigger base will give a looser curl... Just an experiment).

I used a BIC Brite Liner:

It was perfect because the pens are smooth so there's nothing to snag on your hair. I left the cap on to avoid any highlighter disasters, lol. I may sit under the dryer on low for a minute for a quick set.

I'll let you all know how the change turns out!

Roxie

shtow

Hi Roxie! How did u get the ends of your hair to stay on the highlighter? I have tried that and ended up resorting to the duckbill clips because they clamp on the ends. I wana try this too! Did moisturizing help with the ends of your hair stayig on the highlighter?

:rosebud:
Thanks guys! I redid them this morning because they fell a little more than I wanted them to today when I slept with my bonnet. So I sprayed a little leave in (Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave In) and then rolled them up again but this time using a highlighter as my roller (I want to see if something with a bigger base will give a looser curl... Just an experiment).

I used a BIC Brite Liner:

It was perfect because the pens are smooth so there's nothing to snag on your hair. I left the cap on to avoid any highlighter disasters, lol. I may sit under the dryer on low for a minute for a quick set.

I'll let you all know how the change turns out!

Roxie

foxieroxienyc

Actually yes, the leave-in is a liquid so my ends get a little damp from it, I then finger comb the hair a bit and it dries up a bit (my hair seems to absorb the Aphogee Leave-In), then I proceed to roll it like a semi wet set. Focus on getting the ends on there first, then slowly start to roll but give a little pull as you go down the roller (if you've seen Marcherie's video she says "roll, roll, pull" - same thing here). The hair stays in place, and any that may fall down a bit, I continue to keep rolling the highlighter down and just gather up the fallen pieces onto the highlighter until it's all rolled up (usually shorter pieces tend to fall down). Somtimes I'll let the fallen ones alone and just start a new "pen" curl with them cause I'm lazy, lol.

I just took one down, it's completely dry (no dryer needed), I left them in for about an hour or so, did some stuff around the house (including giving myself a pedicure, lol) and I'm going to head out to the gym in a few hours. I'll leave the others in till I leave, but the one I took out has a really pretty spirally bouncy curl. The curl is also a little looser

Ivonnovi

Hi all, I plan to pincurl my hair tonight so I went to look at the tutorial however it requires a password. What is it. The "J" one did not work.

kiesha8185

I may end up trying this tonight with some NTM!! I'm gonna try and use one of them FAT highlighters instead though, for more looser curls.

Thanks so much for this Shtow and Foxie!

foxieroxienyc

yeah guys the password is in Shtow's profile. I dont want to just post her password here, but if she feels inclined to do so, then she will.

Just click on her name here in the thread and there's an option to view her public profile. :yep:

Happy Pin-Curling Ladies! :yawn::lick:

NYLegalNewbie

Re: Extreme Big-up to Shtow and her Pin-curl Tutorial! (Pics)

Girl...what's up with all that posing? You think you're a model or something?

Oh, wait...I think you actually are. LOL!!!!

That style looks SOOOOOO cute! Thanks for posting this link. :yep:

I've been posting an awful lot today because I'm home and bored as heck and my best friend is preparing for a move to San Fransisco and my boyfriend(s):grin: are out of town lol.

I had my hair up in pincurls all day today after following Shtow's version in her fotki, threw on a headband and it looked super cute. So right now I decided to take town the pincurls to see what they may look like and I now have the most FABULOUS tight little ringlets in my hair that are to die for, lol. I'm just excited to have achieved this look without any heat whatsoever, no products (did put in a little moisturizer for my ends), and it's a great curl that will last til my next wash. PS, I'm 4 weeks post-relaxer as well! I just wanted to share and if you havent tried her pin-curl, you should!

This was after having them in all day:

This was after having them in for an hour this morning (the curls were a little looser):

I'm going to sleep in just a satin bonnet tonight to loosen the curls so they can drop a bit more... But I'm just lovin this look! I just added a very small amount of Nexxus Humectress (yes the conditioner! On the bottle it says you can use it as a leave in, surprisingly it's VERY light) and sealed with a little bit of oil - my fav. Jamaican Mango and Lime Island Oil. When I first set the curls I used a bit of ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer and that was it. The curls are incredibly soft, no tangles or breakage, and my ends feel really good.

Here's the link to the tutorial:
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/12/pincurling-tuto.html

Her password is in her LHCF profile.

Isis

I love your pincurls -- you did a beautiful job!:up:
I too enjoy pincurls, it's so easy to do and it lasts. :yep: