Favorite NON-SHEA Products?

curlycrocheter

I didn't want to hi-jack a previous thread, so I'm starting my own!

I want to use more natural products, but I'm running into a HUGE problem!! I am SO allergic to shea butter that it isn't even funny! Every time I look at a product containing shea butter, my scalp tries to set my head on fire :burning:

All the products that get rave reviews on here are either shea based, or have shea high on the list of ingredients. People, I need HELP!!

Any suggestions or product recs would be greatly appreciated! And does anyone else have this problem? Please tell me I'm not alone in the shea-struggle!

Tiye

I assume by non-shea products you mean leave ins - because there are scads of shampoos and conditioners that don't have shea butter in them. If you need a leave in conditioner there are plenty of drugstore and beauty supply store non-shea leave ins. Or you can just use any regular conditioner as a leave in - dilute it with water and put it in a spray bottle, add a few drops of oil, maybe a little glycerin if you like. If you need an emollient then maybe you want to use hair oil rather than hair butters since most of them are shea butter based. Alternatively you could try mango or cocoa butter products - I mix my own butters so I'm not familiar with the brands that are available these days but you can look for these on labels or make your own. Castor oil. olive oil and argan oil are thick oils that can also substitute for hair butters. Are you experiencing allergies when you put shea on your scalp or in your hair. If you're oiling your scalp maybe you don't need that - if you want to put something on your scalp try aloe gel, or aloe gel with just a few drops of essential and/or carrier oil instead.

curlycrocheter

Sorry, I'll clarify.

I'm looking for conditioners, leave-ins/moisturizes that are all-natural and don't contain shea butter. I don't use shampoo so I'm not interested in that. I was saying that most of the products that get raves are shea based.

I'm trying to go @ least 95% natural with my hair care products (with the exception of heat protectors) and I'm noticing the current trend seems to be shea-based products.

Shea doesn't agree with me AT ALL. Not on my hair, scalp or skin. And I'm finding producst that aren't shea-based have shea in them.

But thanks for your response, I guess I'm gonna have to start my own hair care line called The No Shea Line! lol

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Have you tried Christine Gant --- BrownButterBeauty.com
Darcy's Botanicals
Hairveda

*Wait before I give you a long, exhaustive list,:look: what "Natural" Products have You Tried???

Let's Start there.:yep:

JerriBlank

Know you didn't ask for oils,but this one that I use I just add to sub-par moisturizers and it perks them up so nicely that I have been able to use up a few products that I initially wouldn't let touch my head.

It is a mix of olive,avocado,and flax oils that I get from whole foods for $12.99

I don't remember the name but I get it in the food oils section.

curlycrocheter

Darcy's Botanicals
Hairveda

*Wait before I give you a long, exhaustive list,:look: what "Natural" Products have You Tried???

Thanks, I started with Jasmine's and while her shea butter cream rinse smelled awesome, every time I used it my head would itch soooooooooooooo bad. And it was the only new thing I used. So I decided not to buy anymore online products until I could find one that wasn't shea based and had somewhat decent reviews.

So far my search has lead me to Darcy's, Christine Gant seems a little too pricey for me. Keep the recs coming ladies!

Damaged but not out

Darcy's Botanicals
Hairveda

^^^^Great idea

Aubrey Organics(some like Island naturals)
Jason products
Giovanni

Thats wat i can think of now. You could just try the millions of butters sold online from places like from nature with love, mountain rose herbs.

Also if you read the ingredient lists you will find alot of things don't contain shea.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I will admit alot of the Butters are whipped with a Shea Derivative, but I maintain there are plenty products that don't.

Okay, here's my list:grin::

Hairveda
Komaza Hair Care
Mozeke
Bee Mine
MyHoneyChild
Curl Junkie
Oyin Handmade
She Scent It
Afroveda
Ori Organics
Aubrey Organics
Giovanni
Millcreek
J/A/S/O/N
Alba Botanica

You'll definitely have to do your "Research", but I'm sure you'll be able to find several product lines to choose from.

Last edited:

curlycrocheter

I use Aubrey's and Giovanni. Trust me I have done my research! I've spent all day reading ingredient lists. And as soon as I see a product that sounds like it would be perfect for me BAM!! There's the shea butter. It's getting kinda exhausting :(

discodumpling

Shea butter in it's purest form is Hypoallergenic. I would check to see if thereare other ingerdients mixed with the shea that are causing your reaction OP.

curlycrocheter

Shea butter in it's purest form is Hypoallergenic. I would check to see if thereare other ingerdients mixed with the shea that are causing your reaction OP.

No, because when I tried to use plain, raw shea butter it made me itch so bad until I scratched my skin off :nono:

So I'm certain it's the shea butter....it's weird because i don't really have sensitive skin, but that stuff just does something to me.

curlycrocheter

You say you use Aubrey and Giovanni. Are those products not working for you?

No, they work just fine and I don't plan on removing them from my list of products. But I only use their conditioners. I'm really on the market for a good nautral (preferably blackowned) leave-in and moisturizer. I hate Giovanni Direct Leave-in! And the pj in me can never have enough conditioner :D

LaFemmeNaturelle

Oh ok....well not to discourage you from being a pj but have you ever tried just using the conditioner as a leave in? AOHSR works great as a leave in for me, sealed with evoo. And if its too heavy, you could dilute it!

curlycrocheter

Oh ok....well not to discourage you from being a pj but have you ever tried just using the conditioner as a leave in? AOHSR works great as a leave in for me, sealed with evoo. And if its too heavy, you could dilute it!

Yeah I used to do that too, but I'm noticing that using AOSHR as a leave-in leaves my hair kinda dull...if that makes any sense? Plus I'm heavy handed and cant afford to be leaving $10 condish in all willy-nilly! LOL!!