Feed-in Cornrow question

nychaelasymone

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone experienced hairline breakage from feed-in cornrows? They look nice, but I'm wondering if the stylist can start them bigger to avoid potential pulling and stress. Any information about these braids would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

~VicTorIAn~

My braider started to braid my hair a couple centimeters before she added the hair. It looked very natural and I experienced no hairline breakage.
They should be able to start the braids as big as you want. It really helps if you bring a picture of what you want. I wanted mine to be a certain size and style. Although it didnt come out exactly as I'd visualized, it came pretty close and I was more than satisfied with the results.

yuriko

My braider started to braid my hair a couple centimeters before she added the hair. It looked very natural and I experienced no hairline breakage.
They should be able to start the braids as big as you want. It really helps if you bring a picture of what you want. I wanted mine to be a certain size and style. Although it didnt come out exactly as I'd visualized, it came pretty close and I was more than satisfied with the results.

What she said. If they dont braid just my hair at the beginning, I loose my hairline

nychaelasymone

What exactly is feed-in cornrow?

Is that when you add extra hair to the braid?

feed in cornrows is when the braider starts braiding w/ your hair and then begins to feed in small strands of kanekakalon (sp) hair to achieve a more natural look...instead of the 'ball' look at the start of the cornrow

feed-in

regular

jerseygurl

Not a new member
It's called ghana weave and it's relatively simple. I believe HeatedStyledNatural explained it best. You can do any thickness you want, you just have to be very vocal as to what you want.

Also, make sure they don't pull your hair too tightly.

nychaelasymone

btw, I'm going on a cruise and wanted to braid my hair cute but do you guys think feed-ins are safe for the pool and the beach? I hate to sound paranoid but I do not want to lose hair or potentially damage my edges from being mis-informed or careless......

yuriko

Yep, its very common in West Africa, We call it "pencil braid" because the edges look like the sharp edge of a pencil, it flattering because you don't have the bump of heavy extensions at the hairline, but it yanked out my hair line and 1 year plus later, am still trying to re-grow it. Starting with just your hair saves your hairline

nychaelasymone

Yep, its very common in West Africa, We call it "pencil braid" because the edges look like the sharp edge of a pencil, it flattering because you don't have the bump of heavy extensions at the hairline, but it yanked out my hair line and 1 year plus later, am still trying to re-grow it. Starting with just your hair saves your hairline

thank you 4 this...I'll be sure to tell her to start w/ my own hair first....will it come lose? will it come lose w/ water?

heyfranz

I had them once and kept them in 3 weeks. They actually did wonders for my thin edges. Thickened them up. Here's a pic. Unfortunately i don't have any before and after of my edges. I'm not good with documenting my hair progress but i'm trying to do better now.

Attachments

• IMG00002.jpg
    IMG00002.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 36

nychaelasymone

I had them once and kept them in 3 weeks. They actually did wonders for my thin edges. Thickened them up. Here's a pic. Unfortunately i don't have any before and after of my edges. I'm not good with documenting my hair progress but i'm trying to do better now.

thank you for your post. I'm just going to hope for the best and do everything I've learned on this board to protect my tressess.....I'm 10 weeks post relaxer so I think I have enough new growth to ward off any mishaps....

juju

Beautiful hairstyle !
good for growing the hairlines it was helping mine a little bit,till i went to do micro braids :wallbash: