Final rinse with distilled water

sareca

Yep, I'm back to using bottled water to rinse my hair. Some of you may remember me getting a water softener. Well, we moved. :( This house doesn't have a softener and we didn't move far enough to get away from the limestone bedrock. So after many many months of hour long DCs I'm back using distilled water for my final rinse (actually I use it everytime water touched my hair for the last few weeks). :( It's working extremely well! So if you're not sure if you have hard water (and you don't want to buy the test strips from the pet department at WalMart) give distilled water a try. :yep: It's cheap and after just a few washes you'll be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:

Cassandra1975

If you don't want to get the whole softening system again, you could get a shower head filter...that's what we use. Of course he doesn't understand the difference (lol), but I love it, and we just change the filter every 6 months. It makes a difference in the hard water stains on the tub as well. We got ours at Lowes.

Eisani

I buy this stuff by the gallon at my local grocery store. You should be able to find it in your market with the rest of the bottled water.

LABETT

I have been using distilled water as a final rinse about a year now and it really does make a difference in how your hair feels.

sareca

Ok ladies you have to try this!

Rinse (w/ tap water)
Clarify (i left it on for 10 minutes)
Rinse with distilled (it took a lot of water to rinse it clean)
Apply conditioner (I used Butter Treatment by Redken)
Bagged it and sat under the dryer for a while
Rinse again with distilled again.

So basically the hard/tap water never touched my hair after I clarified and all I can say is wow!

:wow:

My hair is unbelievably soft

THIS IS WHY MY DANG AVEDA STOPPED WORKING!!! :wallbash: There's was just too much mineral buildup on my hair for it to get through. How many times do I have to relearn the same lesson. I should have recognized the signs.

Oh! BTW it doesn't have to be distilled water. It can be pretty much any bottled water. If you want to give it a shot w/o buying distilled try it with Aquafina. It works just as well. Distilled water is cheaper and ideal tho.

Last edited:

Evalina1

Ok ladies you have to try this!

Rinse (w/ tap water)
Clarify (i left it on for 10 minutes)
Rinse with distilled (it took a lot of water to rinse it clean)
Apply conditioner (I used Butter Treatment by Redken)
Bagged it and sat under the dryer for a while
Rinse again with distilled again.

So basically the hard/tap water never touched my hair after I clarified and all I can say is wow!

:wow:

My hair is unbelievably soft

THIS IS WHY MY DANG AVEDA STOPPED WORKING!!! :wallbash: There's was just too much mineral buildup on my hair for it to get through. How many times do I have to relearn the same lesson. I should have recognized the signs.

Oh! BTW it doesn't have to be distilled water. It can be pretty much any bottled water. If you want to give it a shot w/o buying distilled try it with Aquafina. It works just as well. Distilled water is cheaper and ideal tho.

what Chelating shampoo do you use?

MysteryMe

My water is definitely hard and I think that is the is the problem with my hair. I'll definitely try the distilled water or get a shower head filter.

SignatureBeauty

I also use distilled water and it it does wonders for the hair, I also have a shower filter but I love the distilled water as a final rinse or to rinse my conditioner out!

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Using distilled water was the very first thing I learned to do from lurking on the boards back in 2002. It saved the rest of my hair from falling out till I could get a shower filter. Great tip!

sareca

My hair seems to like ozarka water better than the other brands or even plain distilled water.