FINGER COMBING

LadyZ

Who finger combs and how long have you been a finger comber?...

Please share your finger combing story...Such as how often do you use a real comb.... relaxed/natural... ETC.... Any info you can share... This is my first week doing it and I love IT.........

TIA

:eyebrows2 :rofl: :clapping: :woot:

preciousjewel76

It took me 6 MONTHS to get finger combing down. Now, that's all I do, unless I'm trying to make a part or something. I only use a comb (seamless, of course) on wash days, 2x per week. I find that combing with my fingers really reduces breakage. I still have to take my time, though, especially when the new growth starts kicking in. I comb through after moisturizing at night, from ends to roots. I smooth my hair into a twist or cross-wrap, tie it up, baggy it, and go to bed. I don't have to do much to it in the morning. I just add a hair accessory and maybe a little oil and keep moving.

LadyZ

Thanks Precious,

So far I am loving this... I do Basically like you do... I am trying to curb all the breakage I have been having all winter... I hope it continues to agree with my hair....

bLackButtaFly

I've been finger combing sinnce I became natural. Mostly b/c brushing or combing my hair has becom such an event, and when I stopped combing I noticed a lot less breakage. I finger through my hair usually only if I'm changing the style, like going from puff to twists, or braids. And then I leave my hair alone when I take them out except to fluff in the morning or tie down at night. I know I'm going straight to hair h*** for this, but I use a paddle brush:spank:....I know I know, but when I comb my hair I honestly think my arm is going to fall off, and nothing beats my paddle brush on freshly washed hair when I'm distributing the conditioner, mmmm:smirk:. Usually about once a week, or every 9 days when I'm feeling lazy I wash, and brush. Otherwise, I rarely use combs for parts or during the week, actually I hardly ever use a comb, my fingers help keep the style, and give my curls more spring.

Divine Inspiration

I figure comb daily and comb with a comb on wash day to detangle.

It's less manipulation which means less breakage and shedding for me. Sometimes I have more shed hair on wash day, but it's definitely not the 500 hair that are supposed to be average.

So, for me, it's a healthy hair habit. It took some getting used to though because I didn't know how to finger part and finger smooth, but I can do all of that now.

la flaca

bLackButtaFly said:
I've been finger combing sinnce I became natural. Mostly b/c brushing or combing my hair has becom such an event, and when I stopped combing I noticed a lot less breakage. I finger through my hair usually only if I'm changing the style, like going from puff to twists, or braids. And then I leave my hair alone when I take them out except to fluff in the morning or tie down at night. I know I'm going straight to hair h*** for this, but I use a paddle brush:spank:....I know I know, but when I comb my hair I honestly think my arm is going to fall off, and nothing beats my paddle brush on freshly washed hair when I'm distributing the conditioner, mmmm:smirk:. Usually about once a week, or every 9 days when I'm feeling lazy I wash, and brush. Otherwise, I rarely use combs for parts or during the week, actually I hardly ever use a comb, my fingers help keep the style, and give my curls more spring.

Off topic, sorry but I love your hair and the color too. That's my dream to have one day beautiful curly hair like yours.

Last edited:

Gisselle

Divine Inspiration said:

It's less manipulation which means less breakage and shedding for me. Sometimes I have more shed hair on wash day, but it's definitely not the 500 hair that are supposed to be average.

So, for me, it's a healthy hair habit. It took some getting used to though because I didn't know how to finger part and finger smooth, but I can do all of that now.

Same here!

nycutiepie

Divine Inspiration said:

This is what I do too.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I've been finger combing since I started transitioning in 2005. I only comb/detangle my hair on wash days, and I finger comb in between. Like some have said, it's less manipulation which cuts down on possible breakage. If you love it stick to it, your hair will thank you in the long run. ;)

Mahalialee4

I only comb now on wash days. I finger comb the rest of the time. Since my hair is in cornrows, (without extensions) that is every 2 weeks with the option of a conditioner wash as needed. bonjour

Isis

I started finger combing when I started my hair journey on LHCF. At first it felt awkward but it didn't take long before it felt natural. I didn't have a brush anyway and I learned to comb only on wash days when my hair was wet. It's been quite a blessing. :yep: