Finger Combing Only?

hareluvah

Sorry if this is a stupid question but...

I am a natural 4a mostly with 3c edges and nape and a partly 4b crown. Is it possible to NEVER use a comb or a brush? I'm really starting to think that combing/brushing might be the source of my consistently busted ends (because the rest of my hair is shiny soft and strong)

Will my hair dread? Will it ever be truly untangled? Does anyone else finger comb only? What were the results?

TIA!

adamson

I don't use combs about 90% of the time and I never use brushes. It's possible to not need to use one but you have to be *very* meticulous in the process to detangle, though. After the first couple of times, it gets easier and quicker to detangle because (presumably) there won't be many new created tangles.

I'd suggest not using a brush. I'm wary of using products that have a lot of bristles because my hair would break out.

Baggettcindy

I don't use combs about 90% of the time and I never use brushes. It's possible to not need to use one but you have to be *very* meticulous in the process to detangle, though. After the first couple of times, it gets easier and quicker to detangle because (presumably) there won't be many new created tangles.

I'd suggest not using a brush. I'm wary of using products that have a lot of bristles because my hair would break out.

This is me.....I keep my hair in twists most of the time and will only use a comb to sometimes make a better part or comb a twist. I only use a brush for my front when I flat iron my hair. I wear my hair straight maybe every 5-6 months.

JFK

Different techniques work for some and not others. It really is trial and error. I tried fingercombing when I was natural and it didn't work out. I would overlook tangles/knots and then after such a long time of not detangling them, I would experience breakage because they were impossible to get out.

When i found the Denman I was soooo happy. The trick was just not to use it too much or daily.

leiah

I only finger detangle. Don't even own a comb or brush. I cowash and detangle every day so it never gets too tangled

Bublin

Recently starting finger combing and it has made a huge difference to my hair.
I do use a shower comb but that is only when i wash my hair (not co-wash) every other week with large amount of condish and running water.
When i co-wash i use my fingers to comb.

Last edited:

Curlykale

as long as you keep your hair very lubricated from root to tip (i.e. oil rinsing, leaving a good moisturizing regular conditioner in, sealing with an oil) and in stretched styles (i.e. braidouts) and as long as you never sleep with your hair "out and free" and check the moisture level at night / co-wash or remoisturize with conditioner, finger detangling should give benefits. I hven't used combs and brushes in a year and I see a significant difference.

Another recent discovery: don't "just rinse" your hair loose or you will get matting towards the scalp once dry if your hair is like mine: always use a conditioner from root to tip or keep your hair in twists/braids until dry if you are rinsing your hair with water.

I also find that braids are more functional than twists on my hair in the prevention of knots (I always braid at least the part close to the scalp and maybe twist the rest)

Last edited:

hareluvah

I like this video explaining finger combing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVzPoeq3cYg&feature=related
I only finger comb for long periods of time...occasionaly use a brush for blowdrying...

libertysince05

Wow! Thank you so much for this. I wonder if this would work using aloe vera juice, otherwise Ize gonna be broke from using so much conditioner.

This makes perfect sense. If my hair is more delicate, I can't use the same styling tools as someone with stick straight hair lol!

hareluvah

as long as you keep your hair very lubricated from root to tip (i.e. oil rinsing, leaving a good moisturizing regular conditioner in, sealing with an oil) and in stretched styles (i.e. braidouts) and as long as you never sleep with your hair "out and free" and check the moisture level at night / co-wash or remoisturize with conditioner, finger detangling should give benefits. I hven't used combs and brushes in a year and I see a significant difference.

Another recent discovery: don't "just rinse" your hair loose or you will get matting towards the scalp once dry if your hair is like mine: always use a conditioner from root to tip or keep your hair in twists/braids until dry if you are rinsing your hair with water.

I also find that braids are more functional than twists on my hair in the prevention of knots (I always braid at least the part close to the scalp and maybe twist the rest)

Curlykale
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I too recently started washing in twists and waiting for my hair to dry. If you don't mind me asking, how do you trim? Do you just cut a bit off when you twist or braid? Or do you straighten to trim? I have a bit of evening out to do with my hair and I'm wondering what method will solicit the least breakage. I think I'm going to try braiding the roots and twisting the rest and just trim like that? What do you think?

Also, does anyone know if I can leave aloe vera juice in my hair or do I have to rinse it out?

TIA!

hareluvah

So it is possible :) Thanks very much!

Fhrizzball

Have you tried using seamless combs? I only comb on washdays everytime else I finger comb. I can't solely fingercomb because no matter how much I detangle shed hairs are still trapped and so down the line that causes major tangling for me.

Curlykale

@Curlykale
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I too recently started washing in twists and waiting for my hair to dry. If you don't mind me asking, how do you trim? Do you just cut a bit off when you twist or braid? Or do you straighten to trim? I have a bit of evening out to do with my hair and I'm wondering what method will solicit the least breakage. I think I'm going to try braiding the roots and twisting the rest and just trim like that? What do you think?

Also, does anyone know if I can leave aloe vera juice in my hair or do I have to rinse it out?

TIA!

I search and destroy only and I have never straightened, not sure about what different techniques there are but I think I've seen that one on youtube! MAny people add aloe to their leave in conditioners :yep:

Sweet_Ambrosia

I’ve been finger-combing exclusively for almost a year now with no issues. I pretty much do most of the things that Curlykale mentioned. When I finger-comb/detangle I do it while my hair is wet and loaded with conditioner+oil, it takes me 10-15 mins max each time.

NaturalBeauty<3

I never use combs when my hair is curly. Its very possible, but you just have to be thorough with your detangling. I use oil & conditioner as well.

youwillrise

i use combs/brushes sparingly. i detangle with a comb or brush every 2 or 3 weeks. i usually just use my fingers. i did try that aloe vera juice thing yesterday and it really seemed to help with "melting away" the tangles. made finger combing easier for me and any snags were easily separated/pulled apart. so yay for that.

i do think, for me, combing every once in a while will help get rid of built up sheds. ((nods))

AimWard

A comb hasn't touched my hair (I only use them for switching up my part) since Oct 2009. I have no problems with matting and breakage is almost nonexistent. I wear my hair out every day however, I always twist then wrap with a satin scarf for bed. And if I wear a wash-n-go, I still twist and wrap it up at night. In other words, the key for me to be able to successfully go without using a comb, is to keep my hair twisted at night. I'm also heavy handed when it comes to conditioners. When it's time to de-shed, the hairs slip right out, no combing needed.

Nonie

I only finger comb if I'm wearing my hair in braids and twists 24/7. I will usually redo one section at a time and I will finger comb before I redo it. I am able to be meticulous because I only have a very small section to work on. If I were wearing my hair out, I'd be all over the comb.

You can see an example of me finger-combing in this clip. I couldn't be that thorough while working on a full head...and I do not allow tangles to enter my life. So if my hair is out of twists or braids, I'm all about combing. (Clip) I wash in braids and undo and comb through during each step of the wash. I end with hair that has no tangles and that is locked in braids which I airdry in. The results: hair w/o tangles and I keep it that way.

BreeNique

I think I want to try finger combing, but I'm worried my new growth will get matted/ my strands won't be okay. Thoughts?

Nonie

I think I want to try finger combing, but I'm worried my new growth will get matted/ my strands won't be okay. Thoughts?

BreeNique, I personally wouldn't do it if I were relaxed. I used to be meticulous about making sure my new growth was detangled. I'd part a narrow section at the back, apply Paltas to my new growth and comb through. Then repeat with the next narrow section. And so on. I know it'd be impossible to meticulously finger-comb my hair so that every strand is separated from every other if I had a whole head to deal with. I can do it one twist at a time. Now if I had relaxer hair above new growth? Forget it. I don't think you should fix something that isn't broken. If a comb's been working for you, stick to that. Don't just jump on a bandwagon coz others are. Fingercombing IMO makes sense for people with curl hair of some length for whom a comb might get caught in the coils and cause breakage. For TWAs or new growth and relaxed hair, I don't see why one can't use a comb. JMHO.

BreeNique

BreeNique, I personally wouldn't do it if I were relaxed. I used to be meticulous about making sure my new growth was detangled. I'd part a narrow section at the back, apply Paltas to my new growth and comb through. Then repeat with the next narrow section. And so on. I know it'd be impossible to meticulously finger-comb my hair so that every strand is separated from every other if I had a whole head to deal with. I can do it one twist at a time. Now if I had relaxer hair above new growth? Forget it. I don't think you should fix something that isn't broken. If a comb's been working for you, stick to that. Don't just jump on a bandwagon coz others are. Fingercombing IMO makes sense for people with curl hair of some length for whom a comb might get caught in the coils and cause breakage. For TWAs or new growth and relaxed hair, I don't see why one can't use a comb. JMHO.

Nonie,

thanks! i didn't mean "new growth" in the traditional sense-- actually, its my hair now!! :) I have been transitioning for over a year, BC-ing a little bit each time. There's only about 3 inches of relaxed hair on my head. I'm going to try finger detangling tonight!!

Nonie

@BreeNique Good luck. I take my hat off to anyone who finger-combs their entire heads on a regular basis when wearing their hair out. I can understand finger-combing braid-outs and twist-outs...coz while I'd braid them/twist them for the night, I would be able to finger comb since the style does keep the hair sorta parallel in the way I undid it so no curling back--the hair might as well be in braids/twists (I think). But loose hair like I see in your avi... :ill: I would need my comb.

MzSwift

IA w/the ladies who keep their hair braided or twisted. That's the way I do it as well. I detangle and remove shed hairs while I'm refreshing or transforming a style. I'll go from cornrows to single braids and fingercomb each section as I go.

I've been doing it exclusively since Sept 09 w/no problems.
I actually find it easier to feel tangles w/my fingers.

godsflowerrr

I wash and deep condition my hair weekly. I finger comb during the week and I only comb my hair after deep conditioning with a wide tooth comb while saturated with deep conditioner. This works well. I never comb my natural hair when it is dry unless it is flat ironed.

curlyninjagirl

I finger comb only. I wear my hair in braids which keeps my hair stretched and tangle free. I take my braids out once a month and actually detangle/release shed hairs with my fingers on dry hair. I wash my hair in sections after that which also prevents tangles.

As long as I keep my ends moisturized, keep my hair braided/twisted most of the time, and wash in sections I finger combing is possible. Also, not keeping my hair twisted or braided too long is important to prevent matting.

hareluvah

Thanks so much for all of the responses! We had a power outage in our area for a few days so I haven't been online much.

hareluvah

I finger comb only. I wear my hair in braids which keeps my hair stretched and tangle free. I take my braids out once a month and actually detangle/release shed hairs with my fingers on dry hair. I wash my hair in sections after that which also prevents tangles.

As long as I keep my ends moisturized, keep my hair braided/twisted most of the time, and wash in sections I finger combing is possible. Also, not keeping my hair twisted or braided too long is important to prevent matting.

I'm pretty confident that this is what my hair will respond to. Except for I prefer twists to braids and I would detangle with oil or some kind of moisturizer in my hair instead of dry. Maybe if I do bigger braids I could handle it. But I remember I did small box braids once and never again :)

Thanks.

melissa-bee

I started finger-combing again just two weeks ago.
The only time I my Denman brush to detangle is after I have washed and conditioned and I'm braid my hair up to air dry.

hareluvah

Have you tried using seamless combs? I only comb on washdays everytime else I finger comb. I can't solely fingercomb because no matter how much I detangle shed hairs are still trapped and so down the line that causes major tangling for me.

I haven't tried seamless combs, but so far, finger combing is working well for me. If it becomes an issue I will definitely look into it though.

Urban

I finger comb 99% of the time. I don't think a comb has touched my head this year. I bunned for about two months straight this year and my hair was fine. The key it to keep it stretched. So I'd get home, take the bun down, put my hair in a few fat twists and tie a silk scarf when I go to bed. The twists were big, so the were easy to take down in the morning to bun again.

I usually finger comb just on wash day.