First Time Relaxing 4c Hair, Help Please.

Karrueche

MOMMA LOC.
Okay, I'm relaxing next Sunday on natural, kinky, thick-as-hell 4c hair. I was relaxed before but chopped off the underprocessed ends last Thanksgiving. This time around I want to do it right. Now, I know I should prep at least a week before my relaxer but how? My initial plan for tomorrow was to shampoo, do a protein treatment, condition, deep-condition, apply a leave-in then style. BUT, I was worried that if I apply a leave-in will the relaxer not fully take to my hair? If you could even post your relaxer day regimen as a guide it'd be highly appreciated. I really want to do this the right way and have my hair the healthiest it can be even after the relaxer. Thanks in advance.

PlanetCybertron

Now, I know I should prep at least a week before my relaxer but how?

It’s going to be a bit of an individual thing. Definitely stick with the full wash day prep beforehand.

Applying a leave in won’t really cause the relaxer to not do it’s job, to a certain extent. The relaxer will one way or another straighten the hair, although some sections may or may not straighten out more than the others, but the leave-in isn’t the sole issue. It could be what type of products you normally use, how soft or hard your water is, the Ph of your hair at that moment, the Ph of the products you use, etc.

Under processed hair isn’t inherently bad. Do your best to evenly straighten out your hair as much as you desire, but if there’s parts that are more wavy than others it’s okay. The main thing to do is to make sure your hair is as moisturized as much as possible.

I have wavy parts althroughout my hair, and my hair has been able to grow passed BCL.

I really want to do this the right way and have my hair the healthiest it can be even after the relaxer. Thanks in advance.

The “right way” is rather subjective as well. Do what you wish to allow your hair to grow how you wish. When I relax I don’t really care to prep for much of anything except making sure my scalp is okay a few days prior and dipping my ends in some type of oil or butter. Most of everything happens after the relaxer, simply because most of the prepping done beforehand doesn’t make that much a difference for me personally.

If you’re wanting to do a corrective relaxer if the need ever arises, just give your hair a good space of time in between.

Moreso than underprocessed hair, your main concern should be Ph control/correction. Do your absolute best to get your hairs Ph in the 4-5.5 range as quickly as you can. Make sure your hair is thoroughly separated as well, and relax in smaller sections.

That’s really it, the rest you can tailor to your own needs.

MzSwift

IA, I think you’ll be fine applying your leave in a full week in advance. It shouldn’t stop your relaxer from taking.

I purposely underprocessed my virgin hair so I’m not really sure how to make your relaxer take better. I texlax because it makes my hair healthier for rocking pressed hair.

I’ve heard of ladies doing a blow out or flat iron the week prior in order to get straighter results from the relaxer.

Also, have you done practice applications using conditioner? Depending on the strength of your relaxer (mild, regular or super), you’ll have to get it applied and do any smoothing you want to do in order to get the texture you want. Practicing might help improve your application time.

I also agree that the important steps are really what happens after you apply the chemicals. Making sure there’s proper neutralizing. Being sure to DC to maintain your moisture-protein balance. And doing the right styles or protective styling.

GL to you! :)

WaistLengthDreams

Your pre-relaxer wash day sounds good to me. As far as the leave-in, you should be fine. Personally, I use lighter/more watery leave-ins the week before relaxing. The heavier products like chi silk infusions or oils can give you a more texlaxed look. But if that's what your are going for you can disregard that. Either way, you can still easily straighten it with heat.

I will say that the hair that is closest to your scalp processes faster. So, I would typically apply the relaxer to the length of my hair (about a centimeter away from my scalp) first. And then when I go back through my hair to smooth the hair that's when I get the relaxer closer to my scalp. I think it has something to do with the heat from our scalp making it process the hair faster, but I don't know for sure. Also, do this ensure that you don't get any scalp burns.

Here was my relaxer day regimen:
Step 0: Get all your tools together and mix the relaxer if it's no-lye (I find that letting it sit for a few minutes before applying it helped to get straighter hair).
Step 1: Apply a heavy grease to my scalp avoiding the hair. Something like Petroleum jelly. I liked Summit Sensitive Scalp. If you put it in a pointed applicator bottle that makes it easier (and faster) to apply. I would also coat my previously relaxed ends too to prevent relaxer run-off.
Step 2: create four sections (two in the front and two in the back) and hold them with a hair clip so that they are not in the way when you are working on another section.
Step 3: Apply the relaxer.

Tips for applying the relaxer
[1] The back was harder for me to do so that's where I started applying the relaxer. Work on one section at a time starting at the crown and working your way down. [2] I leave the nape section for last (after I've applied the relaxer to all four sections). The hair at the nape was prone to breakage and I found it grew better when it was lightly processed.

[3] Your goal for applying the relaxer is that you want to be able to complete each section in 2-3 minutes. The first time you do it, it will be hard and you may take more like 4 minutes per section. But with more practice your time will get better. If you can get the relaxer applied to your hair in less than 10 minutes that will give ample time to smooth your hair. [4] Smoothing is a critical step and is what really helps you to get the texture you are looking for. [5] Also, don't be stingy with the relaxer you want your hair fully saturated in the relaxer. It needs to fully coat every strand to ensure consistent results.

Step 4: Rinse the relaxer thoroughly. Get it all out of your hair.
Step 5: Neutralize or do the mid step protein treatment, which ever your relaxer suggests to do first. When I used no-lye it said to do the protein treatment before neutralizing. and when I used lye it said to neutralize first and then do the protein treatment. [1] When you neutralize try to use neutralizing shampoo with color indicators. The suds change colors when your hair is properly neutralized. [2] If you are using a no-lye relaxer make sure that your neutralizing shampoo is also chelating (that will also remove the mineral buildup that leads a lot of women to experience dryness a few days after using a no-lye relaxer)
Step 6: Do the other thing - neutralize or the protein treatment.
Step 7: Deep condition preferably with heat.
Step 8: Leave-in Conditioner and style.

I hope this helps you with your relaxer. Good luck!

Karrueche

MOMMA LOC.
How'd it go?

I finally did it! I self-relaxed yesterday. I based my hairline, around my ears, and scalp with vaseline then sectioned it off in four parts. I applied the relaxer in the "cold zone" first then applied the rest to my roots and edges. It came out PERFECT but my mom had to help me wash it out because I couldn't see without it falling in my eyes. After about five washes of neutralizing shampoo, I deep conditioned and applied leave in. After it dried, I styled it in bantu knots. The results were nice.

I'm happy I did it. I just have to learn a completely new regimen. I appreciate this forum so much because without it I probably would've came up bald lol!

MzSwift

Yay! Sounds like you did a great job! I'm happy you're happy with your results!

From experience relaxing WL natural hair, my advice would be to stick to the basics. Clean scalp, moisture-protein balance, respect your ends and wrap it up at night. Try not to get lazy and careless, like I did -- my relaxed hair was just so much easier. Lol.

If prepooing, for example, worked on your natural hair, then keep on doing it with your relaxed hair. The only real difference I've noticed is that relaxed hair needs more protein due to the loss, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a hard protein. Start mild and work up to stronger ones if it's not giving you the results you want. I've learned that my hair prefers milder protein tx's more often instead of strong tx's every now and then. And that was also true for my natural hair. Anyway, good luck to you!! :)

Last edited: