Flaitroning While Damp

MissMeWithThatIsh

I've realized that blowdryers don't work for my hair.
Yes they dry my hair, but no matter what I put on it, my hair will be dry and frizzy...

I get the same results, if not better flatironing my hair while damp than if I blow dried and flat ironed. I still don't have my Maxiglide, but I am using CHI Silk Infusion and it's pretty ok. I need something that will lockin moisture while flatironing though.

Has flatironing damp been a good experience for anyone else? What do you use to retain moisture?

MJ

I haven't used a flat iron in awhile. But I sawa thread on this site (a few weeks ago) with an article stating that flatironing damp or wet hair causes damaging "bubbles" along the hair shaft. The bubbles are the result of heat from the flat iron (or curling iron) causing the water inside the hair strands to boil. I wouldn't recommend flat ironing wet/damp hair.:nono:

localhost

I haven't used a flat iron in awhile. But I sawa thread on this site (a few weeks ago) with an article stating that flatironing damp or wet hair causes damaging "bubbles" along the hair shaft. The bubbles are the result of heat from the flat iron (or curling iron) causing the water inside the hair strands to boil. I wouldn't recommend flat ironing wet/damp hair.:nono:

I agree. I had to flatiron my hair this weekend while it was partially damp, and not only did it boil, my hair turned out crunchy. I had to later rewash and airdry in a wrap, then once it was completely dry, I flatironed with chi silk infusion, and it was all good. Be careful not to use too much infusion (in one spot) as it will sizzle and cause the hair to get too hot.

sunshinebeautiful

I don't know, I wouldn't do it. :nono: What kind of blow dryer do you usually use? I use one of those new tourmaline blow dryers. I use it on cool and then flat iron. After blow drying my hair never feels dry. It feels so moisturized that it almost feels damp, but it's not. After the flat iron, my hair is silky to the touch and just wonderful! I would try this before flatironing damp hair.

You can buy one from Sally's (I bought the Ion brand Tourmaline dryer). You can try it out and if you don't like it, bring it back with receipt for a refund. That's what finally convinced me to go ahead and try it out and I loved it.

glamazon386

Exactly. Don't do it. You'll hear that sizzling sound. That's why I don't trust those Wet to Dry Flat irons they're selling now.

Soliel185

Damp + Flat Iron = Burned Scalp for me. The heat and damp cause hot steam, which shoots straight up the section and hits my scalp. I make sure all my roots ( in the very least ) are completely dry before I start straightening.

sareca

The damage it can cause is called bubble hair. It can happen suddenly and is permanent.

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_97.htm

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Bubble hair can happen on overheated wet or dry hair. It is the water inside the hair that boils, so don't get too comfortable ironing wet or dry hair on high heat.

sareca

Bubble hair can happen on overheated wet or dry hair. It is the water inside the hair that boils, so don't get too comfortable ironing wet or dry hair on high heat.

Good point. I think I had this problem when I first started my haircare journey. I never ironed my hair while wet, but if you slid a strand of my hair between your fingers you could feel it changing in size as your finger traveled down the shaft. Scary!

Lovelylocs

I haven't used a flat iron in years. It's strictly rollers and blowdryers for me. :)

Flat ironing while wet will damage your hair. Maybe if u use one of those wet to dry irons it is okay? But I dunno.

SleekandBouncy

It is a bad thing to do.
Imagined boiling water inside of a sealed pipe, it will explode.
Frizzy hair can sometimes mean your hair is dry. It's pulling moisture from the air around it. If it's properly moisturized it's less likely to do so. Perhaps up your moisturizing deep treatments.

Additionally, Sedal has a leave in that's supposed to be really good for frizz. I think it's called Lay Flat, or something.