Flat Iron Plates

Hello ladies. :wave: I'm currently in the process of searching for a flat iron. I have collarbone length, natural 4b hair. I have never flat ironed my hair before, so I've been doing a lot of research regarding tools and techniques.

My question is: Which kind of flat iron plates are best for kinky hair - fixed plates or floating plates? For those who have experience with both, is there a noticeable difference with regards to ease of use, amount of snagging, the number of passes to achieve a straight result, etc?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

ETA: Oh, and if any of you gals (or perhaps even guys) can suggest a flat iron brand/model that doesn't get too hot on the outside, I'd appreciate that as well. :prettyplease:

Last edited:

SuchaLady

I know someone will suggest the Chi but honestly I absolutely hate it and it's not worthy of a second chance. :nono: I used it about 5 weeks ago and my hair JUST stopped smelling charred when washing it. Luckily, I see no visible damage. The Izanami is a good one. That will be the next one I buy.

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I have two flat irons, a cheapie from Sally's and a Joico. Honestly, if you don't know how often you plan to use it, I would buy a cheaper one to learn on. Once you get your technique down (and frequency of use) then consider getting a more expensive one.

I am a natural as well and I flat iron my hair maybe 2-3 times a year, if that much. It's mainly when I need to length check or get a dusting. My cheapie worked well as I could adjust the heat to a temperature I wanted to work with my hair.

GoodMernin

I have been using the Sedu 1 inch flatiron and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

The plates are ceramic tourmaline and gives my 4b hair a smooth finish, there is no snagging and tugging, and the 1 inch plate allows me to get closer to my roots.

It is also very light weight and doesn't get too hot on the outside.

It is one of the top of the line brands and I am glad I researched it and purchased it.

Also, I figured if I was going to chance flat ironing my natural hair after gaining so much growth, I was going top of the line just to be on the safe side.

glittergrl01

You should go for one with floating plates, it will adjust to your hair texture better. The absolute best for your hair type would be 100% ceramic and if not that a real nice ceramic coated one. Try HANA thats what I use :)

Thanks for the responses!

SuchaLady Thank you sooo much for the warning about the Chi. I was already kinda weary about that one because I heard it had no temperature control. I'll look into the Izunami. Thanks for the suggestion!

mzteaze I like the advice you gave about not investing in something too expensive right away. My only concern is that if I buy a cheapie flat iron, the results may be mediocre and discourage me from ever trying another one. You have definitely given me something to think about though, especially while I'm in the process of perfecting a technique.

GoodMernin Thanks for posting a review. I love to hear it when 4b's are able to get a "smooth finish". Does your Sedu have floating plates or fixed/embedded plates? I checked the Sedu website and see both types are made by this manufacturer.

glittergrl01 That HANA looks really nice, and the info about floating plates adjusting to my hair texture is very helpful! Thanks!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
CocoaPebbles

Not a problem. Keep in mind, you can find many of the features you want on inexpensive flat irons. Sally's isn't the only place to check. I also recommend checking TJ Maxx, Marshalls and similar places as you can find great deals on flat irons.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I know someone will suggest the Chi but honestly I absolutely hate it and it's not worthy of a second chance. :nono: I used it about 5 weeks ago and my hair JUST stopped smelling charred when washing it. Luckily, I see no visible damage. The Izanami is a good one. That will be the next one I buy.

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

I really did not like my chi. However i gave it to my friend who has permed hair and she loves it. I have a solia and i like the way it straightens so far.

SuchaLady

cinnespice I am relaxed as well. I did not realize that the question was targeted at naturals. But that iron is under my sink never to be used again. If I ever get a sew in I may use it on that if I dont figure out how to put it on eBay first.

I really did not like my chi. However i gave it to my friend who has permed hair and she loves it. I have a solia and i like the way it straightens so far.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
@cinnespice I am relaxed as well. I did not realize that the question was targeted at naturals. But that iron is under my sink never to be used again. If I ever get a sew in I may use it on that if I dont figure out how to put it on eBay first.
Lol i was so mad that i spent money on it but happy that my friend uses it. It actually worked ok on my sew in but on my natural hair :nono:
So people love it.... I just could not get with it.

westNDNbeauty

Expensive irons are not necessary. I have a FHI Runway ($450) and a Ceramic Tools ($20).

Here are a few pics where I flat ironed my friends 4b/4c hair with the $20 iron.

For natural hair, the only thing that really matters when it comes to a flat iron is having adjustable temperature gauge and ceramic plates.

How silky your hair turns out is also highly reliant on technique. I've used the $450 iron with horrible results WHEN I don't have the proper care techniques before hand.

See my tutorial here

virtuenow

@westNDNbeauty, what temperature did you flat iron your friends hair on? What kind of iron? Thanks! Oh yeah, and why didn't you use the Runway (being stingy)!? J/k

By the way, I have several flat irons I am about to place in the sale section. I'm debating on my Hana Elite. Its still my baby though. :perplexed. Nothing got my hair straight and actually stayed straight until I upgraded to high quality ceramic (Hana).

Last edited:

westNDNbeauty

@westNDNbeauty, what temperature did you flat iron your friends hair on? What kind of iron? Thanks! Oh yeah, and why didn't you use the Runway (being stingy)!? J/k

By the way, I have several flat irons I am about to place in the sale section. I'm debating on my Hana Elite. Its still my baby though. :perplexed. Nothing got my hair straight and actually stayed straight until I upgraded to high quality ceramic (Hana).

virtuenow

That flat iron was on #8 I believe. There are no degrees on it but I start low and go up one notch until I get the best results with the least heat. Also, I was in college at the time so I didn't own my Runway.

westNDNbeauty Thank you soo much for that blog post! Very inspiring pictures, and I can't believe your friend is a 4b/c! I also checked out that Ceramic Tools flat iron on Amazon and the reviews were impressive.

glittergrl01 No, I've never tried a Croc. Thanks for the link, though. The Croc2 was actually very high on my radar prior to my making this thread.

Solitude

I have two flat irons. One is a digital CHI (Titanium with temp control) & the other is Biosilk (Tourmaline Ceramic with temp control). They were both under $100 and work well. They are both Farouk irons, made and manufactured in America, which is important to me...