Flat ironing my hair (Marcel iron vs regular ceramic flat iron)

Ladylu

Hello, I am new to the site and new to transitioning. (9.5 weeks strong)! This is good for me since I was a every 4 week relaxer girl.

The lady that does my hair uses a Marcel iron and hot comb for my edges. I've only had it flat ironed once. My hair turned out straighter than ever before. My question is...can I get the same results using a ceramic flat iron as I do the marcel iron? I just think the marcel iron is possibly damaging to my hair...even though I don't see any evidence of breakage or anything... I would like to start flat ironing at home, but I want it to be just as straight as it was when the marce iron was used... I would probably do the flat ironing once a month at the salon. Maybe once every two weeks if I can get the same results at home.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, ideas etc..

Attachments

• 1st_flat_iron_6weeks.jpg
    1st_flat_iron_6weeks.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 105

Fine 4s

That marcel stove does WONDERS, I remember those days sighhhhh...
I vote for the ceramic flat iron b/c it's less heat.
Why are you concerned with heat damage?

nnmiles

I don't think you will get the same results. But I would suggest the ceramic because it is less damaging. I used to go to the shop some years ago and the beauticians would always use the marcel irons and I would always leave with my hair a lighter shade of brown and my hair is naturally black. So she was burning my hair out slowly. But now I do my own hair and I always use a ceramic iron and I haven't gotten that kind of damage again. Take a look at my fotki... I use my solia 1 inch to get my hair straight. I'm natural but a ceramic iron will work fine for you. Good luck. Just make sure you get a good one. You kind of have to be a pro not to burn out your hair with the marcel... and even the pros burn out the hair sometimes.... be careful.

Ladylu

I'm concerned about heat damage because I plan to use flat ironing to help me with my transition. I just want to make sure that I don't damage my hair. I did notice that my hair did look a shade lighter...it almost looked like I had highlights... My hair is already what they call the "dirty brown" color...so if my hair changing color is evidence of it burning, then that is of concern..but I love the results of the marcel iron!!

LushLox

No I don't think you can get the same results personally. My siggy pic and avatar are the results of a marcel iron. Nothing else can get it as straight imo. But it's not something I would want to be doing too often.

ETA: OP your hair is beautiful.

Ladylu

nnmiles...I looked at your flat iron album.. That looks pretty straight!....I'll look into purchasing the type of iron you have...thanks!

Last edited:

Fine 4s

I'm concerned about heat damage because I plan to use flat ironing to help me with my transition. I just want to make sure that I don't damage my hair. I did notice that my hair did look a shade lighter...it almost looked like I had highlights... My hair is already what they call the "dirty brown" color...so if my hair changing color is evidence of it burning, then that is of concern..but I love the results of the marcel iron!!

That's how I transitioned. I went to the salon every 2 weeks for a wash, blow and marcel (sometimes press or sometimes just curl). The natural texture was def. damaged. If you want to avoid this, I'd suggest using the ceramic.

I stopped going to the salon b/c of that marcel stove. Hmmm....I wonder if I can bring a ceramic up in the salon? hmmm...

Hope your hair stays beautiful and gets stronger and stronger with less (or no) breakage!!!!

AllAboutMoi

Ladylu your hair is very pretty. You can get some very good results with a quality pair of ceramic flat irons, especially the FHI Runway. Its pricey but worth it, even more so if you are a DIYer. :yep:

Love Always

No, you will not get the same results with a ceramic iron as you would a Marcel. I really like the results of a Marcel iron too but I fell back on the heat and going to the shops to get my hair flat iron five years ago. Loved that I did this too because my hair has really grown. BTW, you have very pretty hair :).

Fine 4s

I'm still voting for the ceramic even more so than before.
Got a little cute in 2011 and am paying for it. Growing it all back out, NEVER again.
All flat ironing work will be done by MOI...only.