Flat Ironing NG!

charmtreese

I rollerset once or twice a week and today I decided to lightly flat iron my NG only and I really liked the end results. Does anyone else flat iron their NG with every wash? Could this be harmful?

hey, charm~ i do, pretty much, and i don't see it as harmful. i think it actually lessens the breakage and makes it easier to handle.

I do this when I rollerset as blowing out the roots with a round brush always ends up in disaster.... :look:

My hair is fine with that, but then again, heat usage never adversely affected my hair. I do however make sure my hair is properly conditioned and I use a heat protectant in any case. :yep: Oh and I always iron on a low heat.

hey, charm~ i do, pretty much, and i don't see it as harmful. i think it actually lessens the breakage and makes it easier to handle.

That's great!! I was thinking that it would lessen the breakage as well, because my NG is now not as tight!

I do this when I rollerset as blowing out the roots with a round brush always ends up in disaster.... :look:

My hair is fine with that, but then again, heat usage never adversely affected my hair. I do however make sure my hair is properly conditioned and I use a heat protectant in any case. :yep: Oh and I always iron on a low heat.

I have fine hair as well! Yeah, I did this after a deep condition and heat protectant.

I need a flat iron badly, I have almost a year's worth of NG. I have been looking at the CHI and the Conair Infinity. Which iron do you all use?

I did a rollerset today, but I blew my roots out straight first, then did the set. It's featured in this video I did on my Ayurvedic regimen, please check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPg7HFC27vY

I don't because I really don't know how to flat iron my hair, and I'm heat paranoid. However, I've heard other people say they do it like Macharieamour, and her hair is gorgeous and healthy!

I'm about 9 weeks post relaxer with about an inch of growth. My hair behaves pretty well so after I roller set on friday all a had to flat iron was my part and i blew out my hair line. Then I tied it down. Looks like i got a relaxer last week. lol. I don't really think it is damaging remember this is new healthy strong hair and by your next relaxer that hair will rest and you'll be flat ironing new hair... if that makes sense.

I need a flat iron badly, I have almost a year's worth of NG. I have been looking at the CHI and the Conair Infinity. Which iron do you all use?

I did a rollerset today, but I blew my roots out straight first, then did the set. It's featured in this video I did on my Ayurvedic regimen, please check it out!

Your video is awesome. I felt like I just left yoga class after I finished watching. Very calming and relaxing. Your hair is beyond words. Very beautiful!

If this is not going to damage my hair I think it may be a keeper. Even though I only lightly flat iron my NG this morning my nearly 12 week post hair was soo smooth. I think the combination of the flat iron and tying my hair down helped a lot!

Great video!!! Thanks for posting!!!!!

I don't because I really don't know how to flat iron my hair, and I'm heat paranoid. However, I've heard other people say they do it like Macharieamour, and her hair is gorgeous and healthy!

That's right Macharieamore does use direct heat on her NG and her hair is awesome!!! :yep::yep:

I don't know if its good or not. I don't think it can be that bad. Also, like another poster said u will probably doing this only for once a week for a limited amount of weeks. I just want to know how u do it.

After I removed my rollers I lightly sprayed heat protector on my NG and in pretty large chucks proceeded to flat iron my NG only. I did not use a comb at all I just used the same sections my rollers came out of, my flat iron is about an inch and I have about an inch or so of NG so the heat only came into contact with my NG. Since I protective style my objective was not to get my hair uber straight rather I used the flat irons as a means to just flatten my NG a bit.

I’ve been touching my NG all day, its sooo soft. With 12 weeks post underprocessed hair it’s hard to avoid breakage at the line of demarcation especially with 4a/b hair, plus with my hair being so fine I have to be really careful. I’m hoping that by using this method I will be able to continue my 22 week stretch.

I think it depends.

Because some ppl can take heat and some ppl can't, y'know?

My sometimes beautician said that my hair was too thick to train<--Well, whatever that means. She appears to be right, because I've been flat-ironing my natural hair (long term transitioner) with NO issue. I've found that my natural hair can take a LOT of heat...and it still reverts, too.

When I was relaxed and even now....I hit the roots, first. Never had issues with it.
Personally, the only part of my hair that can hardly take any heat without crackling off, are my ends.
I'm not sure whether it's because of the 'age' of the hair (which could make it more fragile) or the fact that it is relaxed (which does tend to dry the hair out). Or BOTH.
Could be both, i guess.
I'll prolly experiment when I'm fully natural.

I have a Chi and my trusty Conair. But--i do use my conair mostly. Even if it doesn't have special plating...I just like it better.:yep:
The Chi tends to over-straighten, leaving me really flat.
No body or movement.
Don't like that.

Update: Flat ironing my NG only on wash days after my rollerset is a a keeper here is what I noticed:

1. less shedding and breakage
2. Hair tangles less
3. NG stays moisturized longer (The natural oil from my scalp is able to protect my NG)
4. Does not require as much products

Today I order the first generation sedu, because my old flat iron snags and breaks my hair. I think this technique is a keeper!!!

Back