flatirons with no burnt hair smell

Billygirl61

Hi Everyone I am looking for flat iron that will straighten my natural hair without that burnt smell? Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the flat iron, its the products.
I have found success by not using any oils before I flat iron, just my spray leave in, my silicone leave in and a water-based leave-in conditioner.

Yes to what Zee posted, and also use heat protectants and coat your very clean hair very well; I'm not saying be heavy-handed, but make sure the strands are covered so well as if your life depended on it. I share the method I used in April in the post below and I swear to you for the first time in my life, no smell when pressing, no smell after, and no smell even when I wet my hair to wash. Even though I've never had any issue with reversion after a press, the smell of burnt hair always scared me a bit and I was anti-heat. After my April experience, I'm no longer afraid of heat. And I used a lot of heat 446 degrees Fahrenheit, and no smell whatsoever. I'm still chaffed about that success:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=8912196&postcount=17

Yes to what Zee posted, and also use heat protectants and coat your very clean hair very well; I'm not saying be heavy-handed, but make sure the strands are covered so well as if your life depended on it. I share the method I used in April in the post below and I swear to you for the first time in my life, no smell when pressing, no smell after, and no smell even when I wet my hair to wash. Even though I've never had any issue with reversion after a press, the smell of burnt hair always scared me a bit and I was anti-heat. After my April experience, I'm no longer afraid of heat. And I used a lot of heat 446 degrees Fahrenheit, and no smell whatsoever. I'm still chaffed about that success:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=8912196&postcount=17

I'm glad to hear that.. I did my first flat iron.. and My hair stinks! I was mad b/c I thought the flat iron I bought would prevent that burnt smell.. But, I did use oils on my hair while ironing.. I was also very afriad I burnt my hair .. but it doesn't feel burnt.. just funky burnt smell

Does this kind of iron exist; I'd really like to find a flat iron that doesn't give a burn smell? My irons have burnt smell right out of the box, so I know it has nothing to do with product. That includes the Chi, Maxiglide(the worst), and GVP (Sally's)

Does this kind of iron exist; I'd really like to find a flat iron that doesn't give a burn smell? My irons have burnt smell right out of the box, so I know it has nothing to do with product. That includes the Chi, Maxiglide(the worst), and GVP (Sally's)

It does exist. I never have the burn hair smell when I press with my old school hot combs, 4 out of 5 of my curling irons, or my 2 flat irons. If I am using the tools mentioned in the previous sentence I will smell burnt hair on the plates itself if I snag my hair on the hot comb then the piece of hair burns on the stove or something like that but the actual hair on my head will just smell like my conditioner, leave in/protectant after pressing it. However when I use my Chi Air Tourmaline curling iron my hair smells burnt the first day I press it then the smell fades away a few days later. It drives me nuts because the curling iron itself works very well. I am reading this thread(and other google searches) now because I am trying to find if there is a way to get rid of the smell before I get rid of the iron. Unfortunately I am finding a lot of sites that show a trend between chi irons and the burn hair smell, but some people report success with cleaning them with degreasers and other cleaning products. Hopefully those suggestions will work my Chi curling iron.

Back