flax seed oil...........gag anyone????

br0wney3z

Ok so I've been keeping my regimen pretty simple for the last 3 or so months, and things are coming along nicely. I wash/DC once a week, moisturize and seal 2x a day, BT religiously everyday (except the week before relaxing), and take my multi vitamin and 5mg biotin everynight.

Well after seeing SouthernTease's 6 month progress and reading her blog, I decided to buy some FSO to add to my diet. I've been taking 1tbsp a day but I don't think it agrees with me. I've tried just taking it straight (like a shot), tried mixing with my juices, and putting it in salads. Save adding it as a dressing, the first two make me feel really sick after drinking it. I start feeling all nauseous, my vision feels a little blurred, and I feel sluggish, until the feeling passes.:sad: Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on other ways I can consume it without all these 'side effects?' Because although I love salads, I'm not a consistent salad eater, so I can't forever use it that way. Maybe I'll just go back to cod liver oil (now that's some yummy stuff :lick:)

hothair

I take the capsules first the Holland & Barrett ones, now Nature's best with NO side effects (well aside from the variation in my eye colour:look:) me likey

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
Have you tried eating just regular old flax seeds? They're a great alternative to people who don't want the nasty taste of the oil or the queasy feelings that sometimes goes along with it. The seeds can be put on just about anything like salads, yogurt, granola, cereal, breads, etc. They have a mild, nutty flavor and are crunchy. I got mine from n organic foods store and it was about $3.75 for a nice sized bag. If you're not getting along with the oil, you should give these a try and see if they work better.

br0wney3z

I'm might try the seeds. I did see them, but for some reason just passed them up and went for the oil. There is something about taking pills that makes me uncomfortable. Thanks for the suggestions:yawn:

br0wney3z

I take the capsules first the Holland & Barrett ones, now Nature's best with NO side effects (well aside from the variation in my eye colour:look:) me likey

Your eye colour changed, really? From what to what? I wish my mud brown's would lighten a bit:grin:

bluediamond0829

i also tried it...and even when i mixed it with oj i just felt like my saliva was so thick after taking it...it just felt like a oily heavy feeling...

i rather take the pills...i have a whole bottle of them

br0wney3z

i also tried it...and even when i mixed it with oj i just felt like my saliva was so thick after taking it...it just felt like a oily heavy feeling...

i rather take the pills...i have a whole bottle of them

That's exactly how I feel. I can feel it going down and I think that's what makes me start feeling sick. :ill:

kiesha8185

I take one tablespoon straight, and chase it with 8 oz. of water. I got used to the taste and the oily feeling in my mouth goes away after I drink the water. I tried the seeds, for the extra fiber and stuff, but I don't like them.

RZILYNT

The absolute best tasting Flax seed oil is a brand called Barleans. It comes in Lemon and Cinnamon and is naturally sweet. It is great by the spoonful. child would take it with no problem. Health food stores have it in the fridge section or it can be ordered on line.

RZ~

Moroni

after drinking it, I start feeling all nauseous, my vision feels a little blurred, and I feel sluggish, until the feeling passes.:sad: ...Maybe I'll just go back to cod liver oil (now that's some yummy stuff :lick:)

This sounds to an allergist like a typical allergic response. I think you should find another source for your Omega 3 FA, like a high-quality fish oil in a smoothie! Don't ever ignore your body's YUK signal, which says "this is no good for ME!!! Check out www.naet.com for natural allergy elimination...it's been working for millions for over 20 years.

ms jadu

I take mine with my Quaker's oatmeal every night. This has been the only way to mask the taste. I just pop in one of those instant packs then add a tablespoon ful. You get the same results as drinking it straight.

Plus, Oatmeal is already good for the hair. I also cut down on eating heavy foods at night, so this little remedy does wonders.

hothair

Your eye colour changed, really? From what to what? I wish my mud brown's would lighten a bit:grin:

:yep: my eyes got a bit lighter but more has a sort of glow, I've had people comment on them even more (well they used to before)but can't really figure out what it is

Softresses

I get the same feeling if I try to take any oil by spoonful. I like to put Flax oil in yogurt. I also like to put the ground Flax seeds in yogurt too. The Flax should be taken without heat because that is supposed to destroy some of it's benifits.

Softresses

Softresses

This sounds to an allergist like a typical allergic response. I think you should find another source for your Omega 3 FA, like a high-quality fish oil in a smoothie! Don't ever ignore your body's YUK signal, which says "this is no good for ME!!! Check out www.naet.com for natural allergy elimination...it's been working for millions for over 20 years.

This is an interesting remark, there are a lot of things the average person will say yuk to that happen to be very benificial to them.

Also nausea can be because of a host of things. It would not be good to assume that just because you are nauseated you are allergic. The side effects of things don't equal to allergic reaction.

Softresses

Last edited:

Namilani

What benefits have you guys seen? I was getting queasy so I quit taking these about a month ago. I also heard they weren't FDA approved!

Softresses

Flax is a food not a drug, therefore it is not tested as a drug is. It used to be used to make bread products in the past. It is known to be the best source of Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids known.

Flax helps keep my skin in supple, and my hair keeps more moisture and shine when I am on it. My nails grow like wildfire. Omega fatty acids are really good for the body. However if it makes you sick obviously dont take it. Taking oils by spoonful is known to cause gagging, think Cod liver oil and castor oil (really yukky!) Best bet is to put it into something cold like yogurt. Some studies have said that combined with Cottage cheese the benifits are even greater.

The seeds ground are an even better way to take Flax because you get the benifits of the fiber.

Softresses

Last edited:

MariposaSexyGirl

Does this stuff benifit only the newgrowth or does it benifit the whole hair strand?

What exactly is it good for?

How long does it take to see results?

Kalani

Have you tried eating just regular old flax seeds? They're a great alternative to people who don't want the nasty taste of the oil or the queasy feelings that sometimes goes along with it. The seeds can be put on just about anything like salads, yogurt, granola, cereal, breads, etc. They have a mild, nutty flavor and are crunchy. I got mine from n organic foods store and it was about $3.75 for a nice sized bag. If you're not getting along with the oil, you should give these a try and see if they work better.

This works better for me as well. I get the ground flax seeds in the vacuum sealed bag (can't think of the brand) at Vitamin Shoppe. They go great with yogurt!

Alpha Female

I started out with the liquid because the the guy at GNC said it was more 'potent.' But I can't stomach the taste so switched to the pills instead. Go for what works for you. Some form of flaxseed oil is better than NO flaxseed oil at all!

mw138

I take flax seed oil everyday. I've tried the capsules, but I like the liquid much better. I felt like I didn't get enough of the oil when I took the pills. Right before I take the oil, I eat one of my chewable Acidophilus tablets, which taste like strawberries. I get them at GNC and, according to the site,

Acidophilus is a friendly bacteria found in foods such as yogurt. Chewable Acidophilus supports a favorable environment for the absorption of nutrients, encourages intestinal microflora balance, and promotes the healthy functioning of the intestinal system.

Taking the oil right after I eat one of the tablets makes the oil not seem so bad. I just had to get used to the texture of oil, but after using it for a couple of months, I've noticed quite a few things in regards to my health.

1. I rarely have to take my acid reflux medication, Protonix, anymore.

2. My joints rarely hurt anymore. Since I'm pretty tall, I've always had problems with my joints. I even feared that I had rhumatoid arthritis. I did some research and found that flax seed oil helps with joint pain and low and behold it did!

3. My skin and hair are extremely soft and my nails grow very fast.

I will definitely keep flax seed oil in my diet from now on! :yep:

Last edited:

br0wney3z

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I'm stubborn so I tried it again today, this time I mixed it in with my plain yogurt and some sugar. I absolutely love it. It gave the yogurt a completely different taste which I loved, and I could even tell that it was in there b/c I didn't have the bitter after taste, or the thick feeling of it going down. So I think for now (untill I finish this bottle) that's how I'll take it. After that I'll decided whether to go with the pills, seeds or stick to the oil.

Thanks again ladies:kissing4: