For Catholics: First Five Saturdays Devotion (Sept-Jan)

Belle Du Jour

This thread is for those of us who will be doing the First Five Saturdays Devotion. I recently learned about this and have decided to join in, especially with all the anti-biblical stuff going on in the world (gay marriage, abortion, etc).

During her July apparition at Fatima, Our Lady said to Lucia, “I shall come to ask... that on the First Saturday of every month, Communions of reparation be made in atonement for the sins of the world.” Although she made no further mention of this devotion at Fatima, on December 10, 1925, our Blessed Mother again appeared to Lucia at Pentevedra, Spain, where the seer had been sent to the Dorothean Sisters to learn to read and write. It was there Our Lady completed her request for the Five First Saturdays and gave her great promise.

Appearing with the Queen of Heaven in that apparition was the Infant Jesus, Who said to Lucia: “Have pity on the Heart of your Most Holy Mother. It is covered with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment, and there is no one to remove them with an act of reparation.”

Our Lady then spoke: “See, my daughter, my Heart encircled by thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. Do you, at least, strive to console me. Tell them that I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation all those who, in order to make reparation to me, on the First Saturday of five successive months, go to confession, receive Holy Communion, say five decades of the Rosary, and keep me company for a quarter of an hour, meditating on the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary.”

The elements of this devotion, therefore, consist in the following four points, all of which must be offered in reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. One should make this intention before carrying out Our Lady’s requests. A renewal of the actual intention at the time is best; however, if such an intention is made now, it will fulfill the requirements if, for instance, the actual intention is forgotten at the time of confession.

Confession: This confession can be made before the First Saturday or afterward, provided that Holy Communion be received in the state of grace. In 1926, Christ in a vision explained to Lucia that this confession could be made a week before or even more, and that it should be offered in reparation.

Holy Communion: Before receiving Holy Communion, it is likewise necessary to offer it in reparation to Our Lady. Our Lord told Lucia in 1930, “This Communion will be accepted on the following Sunday for just reasons, if my priests allow it so.” So if work or school, sickness, or another just reason prevents the Communion on a First Saturday, with this permission it may be received the following Sunday. If Communion is transferred, any or all of the other acts of the devotion may also be performed on Sunday if the person so desires.

Rosary: The Rosary is a vocal prayer said while meditating upon the mysteries of Our Lord’s life and Passion and Our Lady’s life. To comply with the request of our Blessed Mother, it must be offered in reparation and said properly while meditating.

15-minute meditation: Also offered in reparation, the meditation may embrace one or more mysteries; it may include all, taken together or separately. This meditation should be the richest of any meditation, because Our Lady promised to be present when she said “...those who keep me company....”

To those who faithfully follow Our Lady’s requests for the Five First Saturdays, she has made a wonderful promise which she, as Mediatrix of All Graces, will certainly fulfill: “I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation.” This means that our Blessed Mother will be present at the hour of death with the actual grace of final perseverance, (which after the gift/grace of Faith), is the most important grace.

After completing the Five First Saturdays, one may continue the devotion simply to console the Immaculate Heart of Our Lady. A tender love of our Blessed Mother will lead one to do all he can to make reparation for the sins which pierce her Immaculate Heart. Let us remember, too, that although Our Lady made this promise to those who would observe five such First Saturdays in succession, in her July apparition she asked simply that Communions of reparation be made on every First Saturday to atone for the sins of the world.

source: www.themostholyrosary.com

Belle Du Jour

While meditating on the sorrowful mysteries, I wondered when Pilate asks Jesus if He is King of the Jews, He responds a couple times "you say so." Why did Jesus say that? Why didn't He come out and just say yes, I am that am. I'm sure there is a deeper meaning behind it and I'll do a search to see what I find, but I wanted to post that question. This jumped out at me during my meditation on the crucifixion of Christ. Any thoughts?

Galadriel

While meditating on the sorrowful mysteries, I wondered when Pilate asks Jesus if He is King of the Jews, He responds a couple times "you say so." Why did Jesus say that? Why didn't He come out and just say yes, I am that am. I'm sure there is a deeper meaning behind it and I'll do a search to see what I find, but I wanted to post that question. This jumped out at me during my meditation on the crucifixion of Christ. Any thoughts?

Interesting question.

At this point, Jesus had been rejected as the King, and Pilate's eyes weren't open: he asks, "What is truth?" in response to Christ's statements and he half-heartedly tries to find a way to release Jesus but then bows down to political pressure and orders His Crucifixion. Pilate wasn't looking for the truth, he just wanted to know if Christ was one of many men who claimed to be the Messiah and threatened to overthrow Roman rule (think of the Maccabees and what they accomplished).

At the Crucifixion, the Pharisees wanted the sign/placard to read "He *said* he was the king of the Jews," but then Pilate denied their request: "What I have written, I have written."

And, throughout the rest of history, the Creeds of the Church will state: HE WAS CRUCIFIED UNDER PONTIUS PILATE...

Belle Du Jour

Thanks you Galadriel
Pilate's role in all this is interesting. He symbolically washes his hands of Jesus' death yet orders His crucifixion. His wife Claudia begged him to "have nothing to do with" Jesus' death and seems to have believed in Christ by the end of her life. I suspect Pilate, as you said Galadriel, wanted to suss out if Jesus would cause an uprising and to get Him of his hands (and prevent the Pharisees from causing problems) he just went along with what the people wanted. :nono:

ktykaty

Belle Du Jour & @Galadriel

I disagree with you about Pilate & Jesus answer.
By the time He arrives before Pilate, Jesus has accepted is destiny & he doesn't want to do or say anything to prevent what is going to happen.
If he had answered Pilates question and declared his royalty, it would have changed the end result. He simply didn't want to defend himself (cf Is 53:7). He is willingly letting them take his life (cf Jn 10:17-18)

As for Pilate, He wanted to free Jesus, but they threatened his life (Jn 19:12).
He washed his hands to show that he doesn't have Jesus blood on his hands (Mat 27:25)

Galadriel

@Belle Du Jour & @Galadriel

I disagree with you about Pilate & Jesus answer.
By the time He arrives before Pilate, Jesus has accepted is destiny & he doesn't want to do or say anything to prevent what is going to happen.
If he had answered Pilates question and declared his royalty, it would have changed the end result. He simply didn't want to defend himself (cf Is 53:7). He is willingly letting them take his life (cf Jn 10:17-18)

As for Pilate, He wanted to free Jesus, but they threatened his life (Jn 19:12).
He washed his hands to show that he doesn't have Jesus blood on his hands (Mat 27:25)

I agree Jesus accepted and knew His destiny, but I don't think Pilate's actions would've been different if Jesus said "Yes, I'm the King of the Jews." To one of His disciples or believers, this would've held great significance. To Pilate (who didn't have faith), he was seeking an earthly answer. Pilate had seen and probably ordered the death of several other men claiming to be the Messiah. Hearing Christ say "I'm the King of the Jews" (in Pilate's view) would've meant that Christ was the leader of a rebellion.

Jesus does set the record straight and tell Pilate that He is a King, but His Kingdom is not of this world...

John 18:33-38

33Therefore Pilate entered again into the Praetorium, and summoned Jesus and said to Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?” 34Jesus answered, “Are you saying this on your own initiative, or did others tell you about Me?” 35Pilate answered, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered You to me; what have You done?” 36Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.” 37Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.” 38Pilate said to Him, “What is truth?”

ktykaty

I agree Jesus accepted and knew His destiny, but I don't think Pilate's actions would've been different if Jesus said "Yes, I'm the King of the Jews." To one of His disciples or believers, this would've held great significance. To Pilate (who didn't have faith), he was seeking an earthly answer. Pilate had seen and probably ordered the death of several other men claiming to be the Messiah. Hearing Christ say "I'm the King of the Jews" (in Pilate's view) would've meant that Christ was the leader of a rebellion.

Jesus didn't answer because he wanted to left Pilate completely free to makes his own mind. If Jesus said "Yes, I'm the King of the Jews", Pilate's action would have been different. He would have found Jesus guilty of rebellion whereas he found him innocent.

John 18:38 “What is truth?” retorted Pilate. With this he went out again to the Jews gathered there and said, “I find no basis for a charge against him".

cf Mat 27:23, Marc 15:10, Luc 23:4,14,20,22

Tha's why Pilate washed his hands, he knew Jesus was innocent but he felt obliged to condemned him. Washing his hands was a way to put some pressure on the pharisees and try to make them realise that they were going to shed innocent blood.

Belle Du Jour

I forgot to post the reminder for December :look: Not sure if anyone is still doing this :lol: but today's our last of the first five saturdays devotion. :yep: