For those of you that roller set your hair

Babychoc

Do most of you wear your hair curly after you take the rollers out? Or do some of you wrap your hair and put your scarf on so that your hair will be straight the next morning? The reason I ask is because I too roller set my hair every 5-7 days and they come out great. My only problem is when I want to wear my hair in a more curly look, it just doesn't look right on me. I do finger comb the curls out a bit and they just don't look as nice as a lot of peoples hair on the board. /images/graemlins/confused.gif When I want to wear my hair straight, it comes out GREAT! But I do get tired of the straight look all the time, and I do want to learn how to put my hair in other styles, besides wrapping it at night. So can you please tell me some suggestions on what to do to achieve the more curly look after roller sets? And for those of you that don't wrap your hair at night, how do you wear it when you put it in your scarf? Oh, and one more question, do you all use fine tooth combs for your roller sets? I do and I lose WAY too much hair with it! /images/graemlins/frown.gif What am I doing wrong? I do use the wide tooth comb first, but my hair is thick and it just seems like I lose too much. /images/graemlins/confused.gif So sorry for all of the questions. But thanks in advance for those who respond.

Kitkat

I wear it curly after removing the rollers. When I want a straighter look, I'll just smooth the curls down and tie my scarf over it. Not exactly wrapping, I know, but it works for me.

The only comb I use is a wide tooth comb, usually when I roller set. I use my finger to make the parts. Otherwise, I finger comb like you do. I try to avoid combing it much. Why not just stick with the wide tooth comb? Since your hair is thick this would probably result in your losing less hair.

Honi

There is no board.
You can try those Caruso steam rollers if you want a curly look. Those curls last longer and because of the moist steam it also adds moisture.
I always use a rat tail comb to set my hair or else it doesn't look straight when I take out the rollers. I just make sure that I put alot of leave in, detangle with the wide toothed comb (tip to root) then use the rat tail comb. If I encounter tangles I go super duper gentle.

Babychoc

Thanks for replying. I was thinking about getting some of those Caruso steam rollers since a lot of you really liked the way they worked. I still haven't decided if I wanted to get them yet. I will just have to keep trying with the roller sets though. I really like doing those better than anything else. I guess I will just have to keep practicing to get the look that I want. Thanks for all of your help.

NAY007

babychoc,

you could try smaller rollers if your hair comes out wavy right now and you want it more curly.

i think the reason why you have a lot of hair in your (fine toothed) comb is either
you should use a real good (!) detangler. then there should not be a problem when going through the section with your comb, or your hair is breaking.
so do you experience a lot of breakage?? just because your hair is thick (which is great /images/graemlins/wink.gif) does not mean that you cannot use a fine comb. try to use a different product.

pebbles

Hi Babychoc,

When I do a rollerset, I usually wear it curly. Sometimes I spray it with Dew to loosen up the curls because I don't like it too curly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leshia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
pebbles said:

When I do a rollerset, I usually wear it curly. Sometimes I spray it with Dew to loosen up the curls because I don't like it too curly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pebbles, when you do a roller set, do you leave the rollers in all day or do you sit under a dryer? Do you use the Caruso Steam Curlers? If so, how?

pebbles

Hi Leshia,

I don't have a caruso steam curler, but I'm going to fix that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif If I'm off of work, and I plan on being home all day, i air dry. Otherwise, I use a dome dryer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tonya

I usually set my hair on the red magnectic rollers sit under the dryer for 20 minutes, sleep on them, take them down the next morning, finger comb and I wear it curly. If I want to keep it that way I do pin curls under a satin cap...or after day 1 I wrap it and wear it flatter but it still has alot of curl because I have allowed them to sit longer I guess. Also for a tighter curl I use a sculpting lotion by paul mitchell it holds curls better. For the staright look I use Lottabody...the curls are not are crisp and tight.

Babychoc

Thanks girls! And thanks Pebbles and Tonya for responding. I saw both of your pictures and I think you both do a VERY good job on your hair! It looks very healthy and well taking care of. Keep up the good work /images/graemlins/smile.gif. When I do my rollersets each week, I have a variety of rollers. I use the gray, purple, and even the orange magnectic rollers. Of course the big gray rollers make my hair have looser curls which is fine, and the smaller sized purple and orange ones make my curls tighter. Tonya, I do want to get the red ones though. Like I said, I usually take the rollers out, wrap my hair, sit back under the dryer for about 10-15 more minutes when I want to wear my hair straight. This style ALWAYS comes out so perfect, thanks to reading this board and learning how to properly rollerset! I just was wondering how to achieve the "curly" look without it being TOO curly.

I really would like to continue with using the fine tooth combs with my sets, and Nay007 told me to make sure to use a really good detangler. I use the Infusium 23 leave in conditioner along with the Soft Sheen Breakthru heat-style protecting foam, which makes my hair REALLY easy to comb through while wet. So I will just make sure to saturate my hair REAL well with these 2 products to insure tangle free hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Anyway, tonight I might just pop a few rollers in my hair and sleep with them and see how it turns out tomorrow. A little more practice with this and I am sure I will master the stlye that I want. Thanks again for everyone's help.