For those who can't use the Mag rollers

Zuppy

For those who can\'t use the Mag rollers

I'm a big advocate of Mesh rollers.. I'm very surprised more of you don't use them. Here are some pros & cons for both mesh.. and the magnetic you all love so much....

Mesh Rollers

Description: Brush rollers without the brush. Also available with the mesh made out of plastic.
Pro: Almost as easy to wind and keep in place as brush rollers.
Con: Not quite as easy to wind and secure as brush rollers.
Use: Hold in place with picks (pins) placed through rollers or clips from roller to roller.
Comfort: Excellent all around.
Drying time: Good. The air can geth through the rollers and into the hair.
Overnight use: Recommended. Some even say that after sleeping in mesh rollers for a few days they get so used to it that they prefer sleeping in rollers than without.
Other Comments: Also a popular roller based on the responses and well liked. The only concerns was that they dont grip the hair quite as well as brush rollers making them a little more prone to loosening on shorter hair, and that without the brush it is harder to keep tension on the hair if desired. i must say.. these are very comfortable to sleep in.

When I'm trying to avoid heat... I roll my dry hair with several of these at night and my hair comes out with body and looking like a fresh washed roller set. I of course use them with for fresh washed as well.. with end papers.. make the set more smooth. I can also get the roller more taut, then with those clumsy magnetics....
Mesh Rollers

Magnetic or Smooth Plastic Rollers

Description: Smooth cylinders of plastic, called magnetic because of the tendency of wet hair to cling to them. Have a few holes for picks to go through
Pro: Produce smooth sets and are less damaging on the hair.
Con: Very hard to wind and secure.
Use: Hold in place with picks (pins) placed through rollers or clips from roller to roller.
Comfort: Excellent except for overnight.
Drying time: Poor. Air cant get through the plastic so drying takes a long time. A dryer is recommended.
Overnight use: Very uncomfortable and hard to keep the rollers in place.
Other Comments: Less popular perhaps to the difficulty of use, but very much recommended by those who supported
Magnetic

kitchen_tician

Re: Here is some info on Rollers.....

Thanks Zuppy. I've never tried mesh rollers, I guess because I've used magnetic for soooo long and I have tons of them. Plus, I'm not good with using the stick pins to keep them in place.

If I ever start roller setting my hair more often, then I may try the mesh rollers.

bajanplums1

The mesh sounds good but (1) I am awful at using pins, do they come with covers and (2) are they at all damaging to the hair?

Ipanema

I've never used mesh rollers because they look like they might snag the hair.

AnnDriena_

I think my heads to darn small. I got big rollers and they don't all fit. If I get smaller rollers the curls will be too tight. I need a bigger head.

Zuppy

They don't snag at all.(these are not the ones with the brush in the middle) For me they are much easier to use than the magnetic ones. I was able to use the pins sucessfully after 4 or 5 tries (settings). I still can't get the magnetic ones to work for me. I can never seem to get them taut enough. I just think it's an alternative to those who can't master the mags. Because I can get the mesh tighter, I can stretch my relaxers much longer and still have a nice set after washing.

Crysdon

Does the mesh rollerset turn out very smooth like the magnetic rollerset? Seems to me that the mesh rollers would give you a wavy type rollerset that's not smooth at all. I could be wrong though.

NAY007

I always loved to have my hair set on mesh rollers but the ones with the brush inside. I always hated magnetic rollers.

Zuppy

I've always had a smooth set with with the mesh without the brush.

cutebajangirl

I like mesh. I didn't think to use them until I read in a magazine article that they are the better than mag rollers for getting curl in already dry hair. IMO the article is right, my curls are much better with mesh. Figuring out how to get those pins to work right is the real issue, LOL.

Zuppy

It took me a few tries with the pins. I kept sticking my scalp. But once I got the hang of it, I love them. No matter how many times I try the mags I can not get it tight enough!!

diamondlady

I've used mesh rollers for years and my head is alway sore from the pins. I just started using the magnetic rollers and I get a smoother set, but it takes forever to dry and you certainly can sleep in them.

If you want to avoid heat, mesh is best.

Desert Skye

I never tried mesh rollers because i always thought it would not make it as smooth as the magnetic. I ve been using magnetic rollers for so long that using them is like second nature but i would like to try mesh one day.