For those who have big chopped . . .

C

cieramichele

I want to know how your hair behaved right after the cut. Did it curl right up with the wash afterwards? Did it take days/weeks/etc for your hair to curl up and get with the program?

Well, I BC'd on memorial day and Im pretty sure those little relaxed ends are keeping my hair from completely curling..

For those who had relaxed ends left, what was your experience like?

ETA: for those whose hair waves or coils up

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a few relaxed ends left, i slowly got them all out within a week or 2. my hair was fuzzy at first, i think from the shock of being cut and no longer having the weight of the relaxed hair pulling on it anymore. then it shrunk up on itself almost in a protective way, in a tighter curl for a few days. then it settled on the coil pattern it's in now.

ironically, every time i get more than an inch cut off, the ends of my hair recoil sharply so my hair cut always looks more severe. but after a few days it goes back to normal. :spinning:

my hair was uneven and crazy after i bc:

Photo123-vi.jpg

i asked on of my SO's friend to shape up my fro so it was even and got rid of the relaxed ends i missed, and then i did a protein treatment to my hair afterwards for the frizziness, i used mayo, eggs, avocado and evoo. i left it on for about an hour (30 minutes under heat) and then after about one week of co washing and moisturizing my hair was doing its own thing.

soon with the right products and the proper care it started to do this:

Photo181-vi.jpg

Last edited:
i asked on of my SO's friend to shape up my fro so it was even and got rid of the relaxed ends i missed, and then i did a protein treatment to my hair afterwards for the frizziness, i used mayo, eggs, avocado and evoo. i left it on for about an hour (30 minutes under heat) and then after about one week of co washing and moisturizing my hair was doing its own thing.

:shocked:
youre tracema on youtube?

It's been a year since I BC'd &my hair napps up pretty good but I have no curls. But then again I haven't really put much effort into discovering a curl:rolleyes:

Some of us have no curls...c'est la vie

I think I was more of the problem, not my hair (if that makes any sense). Until I found the right products and stopped manipulating my hair by trying to make it do what it did not want to do, it wasn't behaving. Now that I have somewhat of a regimen and have found products (and eliminated products) that work for my hair, it looks great!:grin: My coils and curls are much more defined and more importantly healthy, and I was FINALLY able to see where I had missed some relaxed ends (instead of trimming hair that was just not moisturized enough). HTH

My curled right away. I could EASILY tell where the stray ends were and I had them all out within a couple of weeks as well.

cieramichele, did you go natural with the hope of having curls/coils?

I only ask this b/c I felt—I don't know...cheated—when my hair didn't curl up the way I wanted it to right after my bc (I also transitioned for about 7 months). I like to call this the "Nappier than Expected" reaction.

My hair was a lot different than I imagined it would be, but the discovery is half the fun. After about two months, my hair curled/coiled in some spots, waved up and frizzed out in others.

I've learned to love it (or sometimes just tolerate it—depending on my mood). You'll learn how to get the most out of your hair as it grows. Twistouts are a beautiful thing!

here's a pic of what my hair looked like when i chopped:
chop1.jpg

here's my hair just five months later:
5mos.jpg

hth

When I first BC'ed, my hair was undefined. A couple days after my BC, I deep conditioned and it coiled right on up. I also had some relaxed ends.

cieramichele, did you go natural with the hope of having curls/coils?

hth

Yeah that and healthier hair. I know my hair can do it. I cut some relaxed ends and that section I cut behaves better

i had a few relaxed ends left, i slowly got them all out within a week or 2. my hair was fuzzy at first, i think from the shock of being cut and no longer having the weight of the relaxed hair pulling on it anymore. then it shrunk up on itself almost in a protective way, in a tighter curl for a few days. then it settled on the coil pattern it's in now.

ironically, every time i get more than an inch cut off, the ends of my hair recoil sharply so my hair cut always looks more severe. but after a few days it goes back to normal. :spinning:

CO-SIGN.:grin:

I just big chopped into a twa again. Last time was 3/05. I had to go really low because I had scab dyed hair. It took a few washes & deep condition after a week I was good and curly.

Yeah that and healthier hair. I know my hair can do it. I cut some relaxed ends and that section I cut behaves better

That's good. Just keep trimming off them straight pieces and it'll be ok. As you can tell from that first pic, I had to do the same thing. :yep:

Hmm. well, I wouldn't actually call my hair curly, more on the nap hand side. But it did feel a bit rough when I first BC'd. It softened up after some good deep condition and plenty of TLC. The good thing about a TWA is that it is easy to just wash and go.

About those straight ends, I would give it a couple of weeks. Then do another search and destroy. But I will warn you that some people hair naturally grows like that. My son and husband have never had a chemical touch their hair and they have straight ends in some places!

Well since I shaved all my hair off I had a buzz cut. It was naturally straight with a little bit of waves before it started to curl up. My hair changes drastically based on length.
IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

^^^^
Wow, tetbelle, that is an amazing difference. And the curls in your avatar are GORGEOUS. I mean this in the nicest possible way- but they are so perfect and shiny and moisturized that it almost looks unreal. Those curls are just out of this world! :drool:

^^^^
Wow, tetbelle, that is an amazing difference. And the curls in your avatar are GORGEOUS. I mean this in the nicest possible way- but they are so perfect and shiny and moisturized that it almost looks unreal. Those curls are just out of this world! :drool:

Thank you so much I appreciate the compliment.

I went to a salon to do my BC so they got all the relaxed ends and my hair curled up immediately. After a week it relaxed a litte(probably from the twist) ..There are pics in my Fotki in the first album

Last edited:
Back