Question to those who BC'd....

Newbie here! I am currently transitioning and am about 5 months post. These two textures are testing a girls patience! I want to just do away with the relaxed ends, my question is did any of you who bc'd run into problems or obstacles with your hair after the chop? Also did you ever regret cutting it all off?

gressr

I BC'd after 2 months. My only problem was my hair was extremely dry and rough to the feel. That problem was solved after a good deep conditioning and learning to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Doing my chop early was a great decision for me, because i had shorter hair to deal with( only 2 inches) That made it easier to manage and learn what works on my hair.

justNikki

I had moments when I wished I didn't have to go that low (less than an inch), however, I never really regretted the decision to let it go and start over fresh. The biggest challenge for me was 1) getting used to seeing myself with hair THAT short...I'd gone short before (think halle), but this was a different thing for me and 2) finding what works for MY HAIR...it wasn't until I actually started paying attention to the top 5 ingredients in products that my hair responds well to that I found myself moving away from the whole PJ thing. Yes, I still like trying new stuff, but I'm not a bandwagon type of chick.

Unlike a lot of naturals who tell everyone to just BC already, I say, I can understand how that's not for everybody. When you get fed up with transistioning and you've mentally prepared yourself for different styling options, etc, then, you're ready....don't do it until YOU'RE READY.

ETA: The longer you're natural, the greater the chances are that you'll stay that way. I like straightening every now and then, but, big hair is what looks best on me now. My fiance even prefers my curly mane to my straightened hair.

Last edited:

jtotheb

I BCed after almost seven months, but it was probably around month five when I got really tired of dealing with the two textures.

After I cut, I couldn't get used to having such short hair, so I instantly got some individual braids put in. After I took them out, I covered my hair with a half wig for about two weeks. I guess I was nervous about what folks would say.

Anyhoo, I got up for an early morning workout one day and thought, "Why am I going to put on this wig just to go get all sweaty?" so I didn't wear it and haven't sense. No one said anything and those who did only had complements.

I guess I'm just trying to say, do you. If you don't like it at first (and I don't think it's a crime if you don't), you have options (wigs, braids etc.) until you're more comfortable with your new look.

ETA: NO REGRETS

HTH

Last edited:
I bc'ed in Nov. don't regret it at all!!! I love my twa. The only problem I've exp. is with my edges, which are very thin due to transitioning braids sigh. Otherwise from that its fun learning about my natural texture (though I'm becoming a real pj ;) )

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I BC'd two years ago and didn't really have a problem. The only thing that gets you with any hair style is the in between stages..thats about it

NYCQT16

Natural Again
When I BC'ed, I did it the day before I knew I was going to get my hair braided with extensions. When I took down the braids I let my aunt braid it in a conrow type style. The main problems I had was getting used to the length and texture. I felt it was ugly at first and it was hard to comb at first because I wasn't used to moisturizing natural hair so it was dry, but I started trying twists, flat twists, and other things and now I'm pretty good at it and my hair has grown so I'm happy.

I don't regret it because I went back and forth on it for a while and after while my annoyance with the way I looked in twists I would do on my transitioning hair (the natural part nice and plump looking and the ends all relaxed and stringy) outweighed my fear to chop so I just did it.

glamazon386

No. I actually wished I had done it sooner. I'd say if you feel like you're ready to chop, go ahead and get it over with.