For those who wrap nightly...

Ladylynn

Do you notice that as your hair gets longer, your wrap no longer has that bounce and curl/bend it once did when you were say at shoulder length or a little below. I'm just shy of armpit length and when I wrap my hair at night, in the morning it comes out so flat and lifeless. I have resorted to rolling at night. I love the body it gives me but most times, the very ends of my hair seem to kinda flip out instead of curl under, and it doesn't resemble the wrap look I like. I use the purple magnetic rollers. How did you all get pass this stage? Do you still wrap? How did you manage to keep your curls in the morning? I normally roller wrap, but that last all of two days, maybe.

beyondcute

The longer your hair gets the heavier it gets the more effect gravity has on it. I got to a point in time when even my roller wraps would fall out in a day or two. Also I noticed that when I didnt let my relaxer go bone straight I would have more body but even then my roller sets only lasted like 3 or 4 days. Pin curling my hair at night kept curls. I had to let the wrapping go....

*ElleB

I noticed that, and I think that is because there is more weight there? I guess, but a simple remedy to this is to just bump it under,(Make sure its a bigger curl, so it can drop and give you that bend) and then wrap, and you'll be fine!

HTH

ahsiar29

Yes after a fresh perm and sitting under the dryer. Your hair is always full of life. I have noticed that I need to do sloppy wraps sometimes. Not wrapping them where they stay put. Then put the scarf on and it keeps the body. Everybodys hair types are different. I have been wrapping for years and my hair is so adjusted to it. But alternating rolling your hair and wrapping helps also . But I dont hold a curl for nothing drives me nuts.

KiniKakes

Ladylynn said:
Do you notice that as your hair gets longer, your wrap no longer has that bounce and curl/bend it once did when you were say at shoulder length or a little below. I'm just shy of armpit length and when I wrap my hair at night, in the morning it comes out so flat and lifeless. I have resorted to rolling at night. I love the body it gives me but most times, the very ends of my hair seem to kinda flip out instead of curl under, and it doesn't resemble the wrap look I like. I use the purple magnetic rollers. How did you all get pass this stage? Do you still wrap? How did you manage to keep your curls in the morning? I normally roller wrap, but that last all of two days, maybe.

Oh my gosh, YES!!!! My hair is about an inch shy of armpit (in the back, anyway) and I have also noticed this. It's awful.... I still haven't figured out how to sleep with my hair at night. I stopped wrapping it in the last few months for the specific reason that you named, and also because I realized that it was thinning on the right side from years of wrapping it in that direction.

Now I alternate between sleeping with a loose bun piled atop or in back of my hair.... to trying to pincurl it, to salvage the body/fullness/curl. But either way, it just doesn't fall as nicely, and more often than not the ends flip out. It's so annoying.

I would LOVE to hear about how others navigate this situate. I don't want to use heat, although I know that I could get the desired look by bumping it with a warm iron.

Ladylynn

KiniKakes said:
Oh my gosh, YES!!!! My hair is about an inch shy of armpit (in the back, anyway) and I have also noticed this. It's awful.... I still haven't figured out how to sleep with my hair at night. I stopped wrapping it in the last few months for the specific reason that you named, and also because I realized that it was thinning on the right side from years of wrapping it in that direction.

Now I alternate between sleeping with a loose bun piled atop or in back of my hair.... to trying to pincurl it, to salvage the body/fullness/curl. But either way, it just doesn't fall as nicely, and more often than not the ends flip out. It's so annoying.

I would LOVE to hear about how others navigate this situate. I don't want to use heat, although I know that I could get the desired look by bumping it with a warm iron.

I'm so... glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. I thought I was going crazy. Bumping for more responses.

NeeSee

I've noticed that as well, I'm almost brastrap, sometimes I just take my brush and flip it under. That seems to work.

Lovelylocs

I haven't noticed this. I do like how the ends go over a section that is already pinned down. My goal is to be able to wrap it around my head 2 or 3 full times. :lol: :yep:

ohsosuzy

My hair is armpit length, but the only time I have wrapping is when my hair is dirty. As it gets closer to wash day and my air is more on the greasy side it just kinda gets lifeless and flat. If you absolutely love wrapping try easing up on the products and see if your wrapping results change.

Good Luck :)

anahnamuslyyours

I'm nowhere near the length you ladies have, but I have noticed that as my hair has gotten longer, it doesn't stay so full of body or have that bend. So, I started rolling my hair at night and then wrapping it in the morning while on my way to work. I comb out at work, and I've got lots of body, but it's still got that wrapped look I like.

Also, about your hair thinning on one side from wrapping....I taught myself how to wrap to the left instead of to the right, and that helped stop my hair from thinning so much. For a while, it also helped give it more body. One of my friends alternates every night between right and left side. HTH!

Ladylynn

belladionne922 said:
I'm nowhere near the length you ladies have, but I have noticed that as my hair has gotten longer, it doesn't stay so full of body or have that bend. So, I started rolling my hair at night and then wrapping it in the morning while on my way to work. I comb out at work, and I've got lots of body, but it's still got that wrapped look I like.

Also, about your hair thinning on one side from wrapping....I taught myself how to wrap to the left instead of to the right, and that helped stop my hair from thinning so much. For a while, it also helped give it more body. One of my friends alternates every night between right and left side. HTH!

I used to do this and it worked for a while, however, when my hair started to get longer, I found myself having to leave my hair wrapped a lot longer than I had time for in order for it to hang properly. I now have to keep it wrapped at least 3 hours and I don't have time for that in the morning. I wonder if anyone has every pin curled there hair and had it produce a wrap like appearance? I think I'll post the question.

lexi08

Ladylynn said:
I used to do this and it worked for a while, however, when my hair started to get longer, I found myself having to leave my hair wrapped a lot longer than I had time for in order for it to hang properly. I now have to keep it wrapped at least 3 hours and I don't have time for that in the morning. I wonder if anyone has every pin curled there hair and had it produce a wrap like appearance? I think I'll post the question.

I have done this, it works very well. I usually do 4 large pin curls at night, in the morning I only have to wrap for 10 minutes, comb my hair down. Some times I just take my pin curls out and let them fall naturally.

Suri

I braid my hair nightly. Pin curls, and loose rolling are also good ideas if you have to present your hair a certain way and want a loose curl. I think it's better to allow your hair to breathe; if hair is thinning from this process then it's bad :ohwell:
Speaking of a 'wrapped' look, I am not offending your nightly wrap, I have grown weary of some wrapped head looks, some girls look like they slept in a head suction :lol:

baglady215

I have this problem too. I tried pincurling and it didn't work right. I'm going to try it again, but wrapping leaves my hair way to flat. And I can't sleep in rollers at all.

yo523jo68

This is so funny. I have the same problem. I hate putting heat on my hair. There has to be a solution to this problem. I am sick of my ends being flipped out and up also. Someone must know what to do!
Bumping for more responses

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I had to give up nightly wrapping because I think it put too much stress on my hair. One side became thin and I think this may be part of the reason. Now I usually wear it in a bun and when I take it down it has a little flip to it. If I want more of a bump/ flip at the ends I will put my hair in a ponytail and do one big pin curl with it positioned over top of my ponytail and pinned w/ bobby pins. I've had good success with that one and it keeps me from having to use the curling iron.

dlewis

I had this problem too. Solution, I sleep with 3 large foam rollers and satin cap or no rollers and just satin cap. If the hair is really curly I wrap it.

peacelove

yes, I have this problem big time. But I always had a problem with my hair flipping up. I also have the problem because my hair does not grow evenly. So the back is the longest part with the middle and top not nearly as long. So my hair does not have the same weight it used to when it was shorter. It actually makes my hair feel thin. I will probably do a major trip next touch up. I don't know how I am gonna get over this hump. I probably need to reduce the amount of buns because they put too much stress on the front of my hair I think.