? for those with hereditary hair loss/thinning

Blu217

Has anyone here who is managing hereditary hair loss/thinning found something that worked to improve their hair lines, temples and/or crown?

I read a lot of threads posting how this or that brought back someone's thin spots, but often the referenced damage was caused by weaving, braiding, overly tight styles, bad chemical processes--human error. That's way different from genetic issues.

I'm interested in hearing from the ladies who feel they're doing everything right and are experiencing thinning or hair loss, likely caused by heredity or even internal issues.

What, if anything has improved your condition?
How are you managing your hair loss/thinning hair?

alexstin

I think her user name is Bee mentioned how her aunt who had hereditary thinness had absolutely wonderful results by massaging black castor oil into her scalp.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
i have hereditary thinning temples, thanks to dad. I haven't tried anything, but heard surge was helpful. I'll try it when I get back to the U.S.

LionQueen

Hi Blu,
I have had what my mom calls "cowlicks" above my temples for years... these two thin/empty patches on both sides of my hairline that dipped up into my hair. They are hereditary, and never grew for decades.

I started using Surge (mixed in an empty WGO bottle with 5 - 10 drops of Peppermint Oil) on my hairline and massaging a few seconds nightly,and after a couple of weeks began to see them fill in with smooth "baby" hair. The two "dips" in my hairline are still there, but they are now filled with the swirly baby hair; some of it has actually grown longer and thicker and incorporated with my "real" hair. I also have a "widow's peak" that has gotten denser and lower onto my forehead from Surge [I gotta watch out for this one!!! - Caint do the "Eddie Munster" thang - Ooh, I think I'm dating myself! =) ]

In addition, I have used Surge the same way to thicken a couple of thin "stress" spots at the crown of my head. I'm sorry that I don't have pics; but Surge has worked for me to improve these thinning areas.

HTH =)

LionQueen

Blu217

Hi LionQueen -

I've got some Surge at home; I think I'll give this a try. Like you, I've got the temple thing. And right now I've got a raging thin spot up top from stress. It had started to fill in a few months ago but a rough year brought that sucka right back again with a vengeance.

Right now I'm using Nioxin Follicle Booster, Nioxin vitamins (2x day), poo and con, and taking a ton of MSM and B5. It's been about a month, but I've nothing new to report yet other than somewhat relaxed new growth, which I hear is an effect of the MSM.

I might be one of those people for whom results take quite a while. I'm hanging in there, with a variety of potions at the ready should I decide one's not doing the trick. It's encouraging to know that you've seen some results using a topical; makes me want to stick it out.

I'm also very curious about the black castor oil; just gotta find some.

Ariana4000

I have the thin temples (because of mom) also. I've been taking the Nioxin vitamins for about two months now (August will be my third month) and my temples have started filling in now. They are still not as think as my other hair but I don feel like I have to make the "fake baby hair" with gel now to cover them up.

Blu217

Last night I looked at my hair. I mean I really LOOKED at the thinning temples. My right side is moving way into the middle of my head now and I was pretty shocked at how advanced my thinning has become. It's hereditary at the temples only and I've certainly had a tough year stress-wise, but...

I think it's time to see the dermatologist again. I've been using the Nioxin stuff, taking all the vitamins, trying all the potions said to grow hair and I got NOTHING but compounding thinning. I've had my thyroid checked and they said I was fine, but I think there's more to this. No one in the family has this kind of thinning.

Wish me luck... something has to give. I am actually beginning to think of shaving my head, seriously. I will not become that lady people whisper about behind her back: "Is she sick? Thank God at least I've got my hair."

Ya'll out there who are good with prayer, please send one up for me (I'm sending my own as well).

Last edited:

Ms Kraft

I have hereditary thinning at the crown area. This is the weakest place on my head and where I have the most breakage and shedding. I think I'm going to try Surge that everyone has recomended here to help this stress spot. I'll let you know how it does.

ravenmerlita

My hair started thinning a couple of years ago. I take supplements that contain the herb Saw Palmetto and that has helped.

LionQueen

Hey Blu,
Yeah... Definitely believe in the power of prayer.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this; I know how scary it can be to see your hair "going away". (I've had a couple of rounds of "shiny bald" stress spots in my college years)

Some ladies have mentioned Colorless Iodine/Jojoba Oil, and Miconizole Nitrate (not together, two different treatments) as other topical treatments that have successfully turned around tough hair/scalp situations. In addition to your other vitamins, maybe try a B-complex blend (these help the body to deal with stress, and support healthy hair).

Since you see the thinning spreading, it probably is a good idea to see a doctor. I remember several of the ladies here mentioning iron deficiency as another source of "hair stress". I'm not sure if your dermatologist would cover this; maybe you could have your primary physician check this out, as well.

And as impossible as this may sound, while trying to find the solution to this situation (and you WILL get to the root of it), try NOT to stress about it...

I'm praying with ya', Blu.
Keep us posted!

LionQueen

desperateval

HI, I also have hair thinness. I was diagnosed several years ago with traction alopecia and another doctor called it cicatrical alopecia. I know quite a few African-American females with thinness/baldspots and they have been to dermatologist who have stated the same thing. I've been using rogaine to grow my hair back. I've also decided on a hair transplant for the front of my head that is very thin. The doctors state this wont grow back because traction alopecia produces scar tissue. The rogaine has helped thicken this area but the transplant will give me hair in the sections that wont grow no matter what product you use. I've ordered MTG to use with the Rogaine to maximize hair growth.