Fragile--handle with care!

SandySea

Lately I've been concerned about increasing breakage despite frequent conditioning and trying to do the "right thing" for my hair. For you ladies who have fine or fragile hair, or those who treat their hair like they do--what specific measures do you take to handle your hair like the fragile fiber that it is? I know that's what this forum's all about, but it doesn't hurt to summarize sometimes. Please include details about relaxing, washing, conditioning, and styling. Thanks!

Isis

The main source of breakage for me in the past was using direct heat and I now know I was improperly using it. After discovering the LHCF, I decided to stop and the breakage stopped.
So for me, I am:

Styling
Using no heat
Combing only when wet on wash day while detangling under a shower
Using finger styling in between washes
Airdrying in a rollerset (for smoothness)

Relaxing
Stretching my relaxer 13 weeks (for me that works)
Relaxing in sections (takes more time but it's worth it)
Relaxing my hair 50-60% (makes my hair stronger with much natural texture)

Washing
Shampoo one pass (so my hair doesn't dry out)
Rinse well (again, so my hair doesn't dry out)

Conditioning
Deep condition after each wash with a good moisturizing conditioner
Use protein when needed followed by deep conditioning with moisturizing conditioner

prettygrl

my hair is fragile too, so I can't wait to hear more responses!

I know less manipulaton= more hair for me....

other than that I'm still learning.............

amy1234

be gentle with your hair, treat it like a silk scarf.. especially when combing/ brushing and styling on a daily basis.

Phoenix

You may also want to consider a showerhead filter. IMO hard water can really contribute to breakage.

jrae

For me, focusing on strength, moisture & TLC

Strength: light protein treatments on a weekly basis (my hair is fragile)

Moisture: Wet and oil the ends on a daily basis. I like something heavy on the ends like Castor Oil and something lighter on the scalp like MTG or EVOO. Overnight conditioning treatments once a week.

TLC: satin pillowcases, bun as much as possible, gentle detangling, using my fingers as much as possible.

SandySea

Thanks for the replies ladies! It's just discouraging to start getting breakage out of the blue. If I'm honest, I haven't been moisturizing like I should. The problem is that I don't know what moisturizers to use. I was suing profectiv breakfree, but their new formula is too gummy and leads to more breakage when I comb. More advice would be welcome.

jrae

I've tried the expensive salon lines and the cheapies from Wal-Mart and the cheapies win! Maybe the salon lines are too heavy for fine/fragile hair. Suave's Coconut or their Humectant one or Herbal Essence are my favs.

Angelicus

When I was in high school, a girl pulled on my ponytail and a CHUNK of hair came out. I was so embarassed about my hair :(

When I started taking care of my hair, here are the special things that I did:
1. I washed and conditioned my hair in sections-- Yes, it does take a long time but it was the only way to reduce breakage.

2. Detangling my hair with a wide toothed comb before stepping in the shower.

3. Throwing the brush away. Just say NO.

4. Not using any form of direct heat on my ends, period. When I flat iron my hair, I only do the new growth. I wear a lot of protective styles too.

5. Cutting my see-through ends off.

6. If your hair is fine, try to keep a little of your natural wave pattern by not having the relaxer on as long. Put conditioner on your ends before relaxing.

HTH

LadyZ

For me, when it comes to washing/conditioning... my best buy of the year so far has been investing in the Jibliere(sp) shower comb... and combing/detangling with water running through hair... less hair coming out...

After applying leave-ins, wait a while, 10 min. at least, to let the products work their way through the hair(like you are letting your conditioner soak in). This results in hair being easier to comb also...

HTH

baglady215

My hair is thick but still fragile. Protein treatments for me have helped to reduce breakage. Also, be careful how you handle your hair in general. When drying, don't go crazy with the towel like you see on tv. I squeeze down the length first with my hands to get most of the water out, and then wrap a towel for 10 mins to absorb more. Also, to increase moisture, I have been doing more pre-poos and deep conditioning.

HoneyDew

SandySea said:
I was suing profectiv breakfree, but their new formula is too gummy and leads to more breakage when I comb. More advice would be welcome.

I agree. The Breakfree is different and not as good for me, either. Culture's Wrap and Smooth Cream is nice, but the smell is a little overpowering for me. I am still using the breakfree, but I need something new.