Frayed Ends Anybody?

janeemat

I relaxed my hair on Saturday and it looked really nice except for my ends. My hair just did not have that smooth defined look on the ends So I call my trusted stylist that I allow to trim my hair. She always does exactly what I want. Her first question was "so are we just dusting today":grin:. I replied that I think I need a little trim because my ends were not pretty. She takes a look and stated that they were frayed but not split. So she clips one time, let the hair fall in her hand and shows me. She said this is about an inch, do you want more? Wow right? There is nothing scissor happy about her. So I told her that should be enough. Now my hair has that clean professional look. Question is how do I avoid getting frayed ends. I thought that I was doing everything right.

My ends were frayed really badly last year so I had to get 2 inches cut in August. I think it was a combination of relaxer run off, heat damage from when I used to abuse the curling iron, and dying my hair.

My ends were frayed really badly last year so I had to get 2 inches cut in August. I think it was a combination of relaxer run off, heat damage from when I used to abuse the curling iron, and dying my hair.

Well I don't do these things.

Can heat from rollersetting cause frayed ends.

No, the rollersetting won't do that.

Moisturizing and sealing and keeping them protected will help them stay nice and healthy.

Sometimes the styles we use will make them seem like frayed ends. I can't just wrap my ends into a bun, they need to stay braided or twisted if I'm wearing protective styles. Otherwise they don't feel or look so good.

No, the rollersetting won't do that.

Moisturizing and sealing and keeping them protected will help them stay nice and healthy.

Sometimes the styles we use will make them seem like frayed ends. I can't just wrap my ends into a bun, they need to stay braided or twisted if I'm wearing protective styles. Otherwise they don't feel or look so good.

I agree with this. Certain styles make my ends look jacked and it always makes me think I need to cut my ends. In certain curly styles I don't like how my ends look either.

rollersetting shouldn't cause frays because the ends are tucked under i've never had any issues with rollersetting and the ends unless I let a heavy handed maniac with a tiny comb do them (which when I was in ny I only had that issue once), so I don't think that's the issue, maybe just up your moisture game.
I know people say the ends should always be perfect, but the truth is they are the oldest strands on your head, so from time to time they may split and fray or feel rough and that's when you need a trim which is exactly what you did.

the longer the hair the harder it is for our natural oils to get to the ends, so we have to add more moisture to them, coconut oil, jojoba oil or whichever you use for your ends.

just my 2cents :)

my ends get frayed which leads to breakage but i found that lack of moisture was my biggest problem and it escapes from the ends fastest...if my ends are dry i think ANY stress i put on my hair (rollersetting, heat, etc) leads to eventual fraying

I had the same issue when i was relaxed and I lopped it all off and it grew back BUT I had frayed ends again. They were the ends that dried first when i airdried and they were extremely frizzy. But they weren't split or anything.

What I did was baggy (once in a while)and use Silicon Mix, sometimes Porosity control on my ends. So I would put conditioner then put porosity on top. I stopped using my head cap bc I noticed that my ends were the ones that touched the heat cap directly.

I don't know what's in Silicon mix, but it helped. I did this all summer and the frayed ends were noticibly smoother but not perfect.

I have them and I barely use heat! If I trim the ends, they come right back after awhile. Also airdrying seems to make them looks worse. Most of my frayed ends are in the back of my head where I can't really reach or see properly so I think they tend to get underprocessed when relaxing. I think that may have something to do with it

Can heat from rollersetting cause frayed ends.
I believe rollersetting can help avoid frayed ends. Rollersetting makes the ends look better by smoothing them. Frayed/frizzy ends does not mean damaged ends. In my opinion, Split ends are the only type of ends that are damaged, which can be caused by a number of factors.

I relaxed my hair on Saturday and it looked really nice except for my ends. My hair just did not have that smooth defined look on the ends So I call my trusted stylist that I allow to trim my hair. She always does exactly what I want. Her first question was "so are we just dusting today":grin:. I replied that I think I need a little trim because my ends were not pretty. She takes a look and stated that they were frayed but not split. So she clips one time, let the hair fall in her hand and shows me. She said this is about an inch, do you want more? Wow right? There is nothing scissor happy about her. So I told her that should be enough. Now my hair has that clean professional look. Question is how do I avoid getting frayed ends. I thought that I was doing everything right.

I wish I knew the answer to that myself. I've been plagued with frayed/frizzy ends since always. As a teenager when I had my hair relaxed, the ends always looked "trashy". They were indeed awful looking and feeling. My hair dresser decided to just cut off my hair from APL to neck length. :sad: Wish my stylist was like yours.

Now that I'm natural, I still have this problem. I found recently that wearing a puff constantly was probably contributing to the problem. I was doing that for a long time for the past 2 years. I just had too many things doing, and hair wasn't my biggest concern. It still happened despite me deep conditioning weekly and using leave in conditioner daily.

I had a lot of the damage, sustained from neglect, cut off in January gone. However, the stylist also cut off a significant amount of my frayed ends, thinking they were damaged. But ONE month later they were back :wallbash:

I've given up. Help!!:spinning:

Back