Freshley Washed Hair Becomes Stiff/Hard on Ends After Flat Ironing??

ellebelle88

After I finish washing and blowdrying my hair and I go to flat iron, it seems like the top half of my hair is soft and smooth but as soon as I finish running the flat iron through the entire length of my hair, I find my ends stiff, dry and almost matted together. Even now which is a day later, the ends of my hair are so tangly and dry that I didn't even bother to wrap it at night because I dont want to comb it too much and risk breakage.

I have a CHI. I used to have this problem before when I had my Sedu and I somehow corrected it, so I know its not the flat iron. Now it's back and I have no idea what is causing my freshly washed hair to act so funny when its flat ironed. I alternate between protein and moisture treatments. And I have tried putting coconut oil on it which helps to combat the dryness a little.

Does anyone else have this problem, or know what I am doing wrong to keep having this problem? I hate it, because my hair feels like a dry mess when its flat ironed.

shunemite

What is on your hair when you flat iron? If I use the Chi Silk Infusion (I use Sally's generic version) followed by combing the ends out after I flat iron that section I don't have that problem.

Desarae

It's probably the leave ins you are using. I know if I use the wrong thing it makes my hair stiff or crunchy.

What are you using?

CaliDiamond

I used to have this problem too EVERYTIME I would flat iron (relaxed or natural) The remedy for me has been rollersetting (50% dryer 50% airdry). My ends are soo smooth now. If you are not a fan of roller sets , I would use a serum like fantasia IC Serum (heat protecting one) or CHI Silk Infusion.

Also, check to see if you need a more moisturizing conditioner. Too much protien can sometimes cause this.

Happy growing!

ryanshope

Ur ends need a porosity treatment. This was a regular occurrence before I started porosity checking my hair. Now the entire shaft of my hair is smooth...the ends are HIGHLY susceptible to being overly porous so I coat the ends every few weeks with a Porosity Control conditioner and leave in for 5-10 minutes. Also make sure to seal the ends with castor oil or shea butter frequently to keep them pliable and moisturized.

ellebelle88

What is on your hair when you flat iron? If I use the Chi Silk Infusion (I use Sally's generic version) followed by combing the ends out after I flat iron that section I don't have that problem.

It's probably the leave ins you are using. I know if I use the wrong thing it makes my hair stiff or crunchy.

What are you using?

Hmm...that might be the case. I recently started a new leave-in by Design Essentials. Maybe I will try a different leave-in next time I wash and see if I get the same results.

I used to have this problem too EVERYTIME I would flat iron (relaxed or natural) The remedy for me has been rollersetting (50% dryer 50% airdry). My ends are soo smooth now. If you are not a fan of roller sets , I would use a serum like fantasia IC Serum (heat protecting one) or CHI Silk Infusion.

Also, check to see if you need a more moisturizing conditioner. Too much protien can sometimes cause this.

Happy growing!

My ends are fine with any other type of hairstyle (twistouts, etc.). Flat ironing it is the only thing that it makes them stiff. I do use protein every other week and my hair is STRONG, so maybe I should condition more??? I just dont want to end up with over-conditioned hair because I noticed that was what caused the problems of having stiff ends last time.

Ur ends need a porosity treatment. This was a regular occurrence before I started porosity checking my hair. Now the entire shaft of my hair is smooth...the ends are HIGHLY susceptible to being overly porous so I coat the ends every few weeks with a Porosity Control conditioner and leave in for 5-10 minutes. Also make sure to seal the ends with castor oil or shea butter frequently to keep them pliable and moisturized.

Will try. I have Roux Porosity Control which I haven't used in awhile because I do ACV rinses which I thought were similar to porosity treatments. Am I wrong?

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
No, you're not wrong. ACV does acidify the hair and closes the cuticle, but depending on the strength of your rinse and the specifics of your hair, it may not be doing enough.
If you're having dryness and matting issues, you may not want to sleep on that PC.
I've run some experiments on my hair where I stopped using PC in conjunction with ACV. I only used ACV rinses, and the results were a hot mess. Just brittle, dry ends that would not soften no matter what. When I went back to using them together, problem solved. Try some PC, and then do an ACV rinse, and see if there's any improvement.

ellebelle88

Oh wow. Ok, I will use the PC next time I wash and update you on the results. Thanks much chaosbutterfly!

Your Cheeziness

I had that problem a while back. I tried Roux, deep conditioning until there was no tomorrow, bunning, and everything else under the sun. The final (and best) solution was to cut those ends. It was the best thing I could have done for my hair.

LaReyna756

If the PC doesn't help, and it's only the ends of your hair, it may be heat damage. In that case, you'd have to get rid of the ends.

jcdlox

I'm having the same problem now. I just think flat irons are too much concentrated heat on the hair strand for me. Curling irons don't have the same effect at all. It only took about 4 flat ironing sessions to see a difference so no more for me

shenitab

I had a similar problem. I think it may have been the infusium 123 leave in I had been using. I was mad because I flat ironed my daughter's and it came out so nice I decided to do mine and then my ends looked a hot mess. I have not tried it again but I think it was the infusium.

ellebelle88

I had a similar problem. I think it may have been the infusium 123 leave in I had been using. I was mad because I flat ironed my daughter's and it came out so nice I decided to do mine and then my ends looked a hot mess. I have not tried it again but I think it was the infusium.

Yeah I'm beginning to think that it may be my leave-in moreso than anything. I noticed another user said to cut my ends, I really dont think that has anything to do with it because my ends are pretty much healthy and the only time I experience a problem with them is when I flat iron. My hair is relatively healthy overall.