Gel and the crunchy effect...how do I soften it up??

MsLizziA

Ecostyler has been a staple of mine and it always will be. The only problem I have with it is the crunchy feeling I get when I layer it throughtout my hair.

In order to get the look I have now, I have to sacrfice the softness for the crunch.

How do I keep the really defined curl look without the crunch?

Lady Esquire

Try the scarf method with a light leave-in conditioner and a light oil to seal. It can lay the hair and edges down without gel.

JuiceMobsta

Or you can apply oil or a leave-in to your hair first....or put the gel in your hand and then mix in a little oil, :grin:

GreenEyedJen

Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade. I've tried the other methods mentioned, and while they take away the crunch, they take away the curl too (for me). This pomade keeps the curl intact but gets rid of the crunchiness, and a little goes a long way.

theeREALmccoy

I use shea moisture's curl & style milk or their curl defining smoothie..I had the same problem with gel but now that i use those products, I still get the same definition but without the crunchiness..still has the same hold as gel too!

MsLizziA

I use shea moisture's curl & style milk or their curl defining smoothie..I had the same problem with gel but now that i use those products, I still get the same definition but without the crunchiness..still has the same hold as gel too!

Where can I find that?

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

MsLizziA

Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade. I've tried the other methods mentioned, and while they take away the crunch, they take away the curl too (for me). This pomade keeps the curl intact but gets rid of the crunchiness, and a little goes a long way.

I heard that the kinky curly only works wen u use all the products together. Did u use another definer besides KCC ?

Amoreofcurls

I use a creamy leave in (HE LTR) and seal with crisco,

Crisco seems to counteract crunchiness from any styler ive use so far...

MsLizziA

I use a creamy leave in (HE LTR) and seal with crisco,

Crisco seems to counteract crunchiness from any styler ive use so far...

OH and Crisco is a skin/hair staple of mine! The Oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade actually got rid of the crunch! I tried it after GreenEyedJen mentioned the KCC pomade. But i will try the crisco under everything next time.

AimWard

Ecostyler has been a staple of mine and it always will be. The only problem I have with it is the crunchy feeling I get when I layer it throughtout my hair.

In order to get the look I have now, I have to sacrfice the softness for the crunch.

How do I keep the really defined curl look without the crunch?

Once hair is completely dry, I take a dollop of shea butter (or some heavy oil like castor or olive), rub my hands together, then very, very, lightly scrunch and smooth the hair until it softens up a bit. It releases the crunch without destroying the curl.

Last edited:

GreenEyedJen

I heard that the kinky curly only works wen u use all the products together. Did u use another definer besides KCC ?

I'm glad the pomade you already have worked! Yes, I used a different product. I don't particularly like the KCCC because that comes out crunchier than ANYTHING else that I own (but the pomade helped with that too). I've tried the pomade with EcoStyler and IC Fantasia and it works very well.

iri9109

try applying it on wet hair and sealing with castor oil. and if its a wash and go, do the cold water rinse method ala nappychronicles
YouTube - The Product Rinse: ECO Styler vs Fantasia IC Gel

i only use ecostyler on my edges and i spritz it first and then i usually put on a satin scarf and i dont have the crunch issues...but in the past i have applied it all over and i did the rinse and it was soft and defined, not crunchy

Moodyma'am

I blend oil or a hair butter into my gel. This eliminates the crunch for me whilst maintaining the curl. I use the ratio 4 parts gel to 1 part oil. I only apply on wet hair.

Truth

try applying it on wet hair and sealing with castor oil. and if its a wash and go, do the cold water rinse method ala nappychronicles
YouTube - The Product Rinse: ECO Styler vs Fantasia IC Gel

i only use ecostyler on my edges and i spritz it first and then i usually put on a satin scarf and i dont have the crunch issues...but in the past i have applied it all over and i did the rinse and it was soft and defined, not crunchy

^^^^ I 2nd that method.. Works for me.. I wish my hair could use a butter or the curl smoothie instead of gel..even a mix of the 2 does nothing.. ah well..