*Gel recommendations*

Danewshe

I'm looking for a gel that gives a good hold W/O flaking, for updos and buns. I'm currently struggling with Eco Styler which leaves me virtually having to wash my hair after every use due to all the flaking :(.

P.S. I'm a 4b natural(so need a really strong hold) and I'm in the UK, so might not be able to get some of the fancier brands(please keep it purse and regular old bss friendly).:lol:

TIA

Miss Monae

I LOVE Long Aid Curl Activator - it's a gel with glycerin. Get the one with the green labeling (extra strength). It does not have a hard hold at all! It is not drying and the only downside IMO is that if you're heavy handed with it you will have to wash your hair more b/c this gel does not dry out. It keeps your hair moisturized!

Danewshe

I LOVE Long Aid Curl Activator - it's a gel with glycerin. Get the one with the green labeling (extra strength). It does not have a hard hold at all! It is not drying and the only downside IMO is that if you're heavy handed with it you will have to wash your hair more b/c this gel does not dry out. It keeps your hair moisturized!

Does it slick the hair down?

Philippians413

Wetline Xtreme Gel. For me, it's hold is even stronger than Eco Styler.

Bublin

I've searched for the Long Aid gel and I don't think it's available in the UK. I also thought it was glycerin free.

Embyra

I had to buy long aid gel online from amazonuk
It has no hold at all it's more like a moisturiser than a typical gel
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Eco styler with argon oil doesn't flake on me. I use it on my edges. I also love LA Looks Sport Gel. It's great for wash n' go's and slicking back.

crlsweetie912

I'm looking for a gel that gives a good hold W/O flaking, for updos and buns. I'm currently struggling with Eco Styler which leaves me virtually having to wash my hair after every use due to all the flaking :(.

P.S. I'm a 4b natural(so need a really strong hold) and I'm in the UK, so might not be able to get some of the fancier brands(please keep it purse and regular old bss friendly).:lol:

TIA
Which ecostyler?

LivingDoll

Eco styler with argon oil doesn't flake on me. I use it on my edges. I also love LA Looks Sport Gel. It's great for wash n' go's and slicking back.

Ecostyler Olive oil doesn't flake on me either...OP how much are you using and what other products are you using it with?

JaneBond007

Try a black styling protein gel. I use Proclaim. There are other brands. Get the one stating no flaking. They smell great, offer conditioning hold and add protein to the strands. I like them and there are many brands of them. If you get confused, ask for the black or brown pre-perm gel. It's what they usually used to apply before your relaxer.

myronnie

Coily Kinks Coil Jam is reaaally nice at giving definition for days and elongating curls. I highly recommend it for twistouts. Haven't tried it for wash and goes yet. You just have to be careful not to use too much or you will get little globules of gel in your hair... (can't see them but they are there..)

Claudie's Gel is really nice at slicking back edges. It has more of a strong hold than Coily Kinks and is much thicker.

tallowah

I used Aloe Vera Gel on my edges when I was stretching and my edges were very slick.Im in UK too.Got mine from health shop but yo can get it from Holland & Barrett too.
Great stuff.

BellaMarie

I mix the ecostyler gel with water and it never flakes and is pretty soft hold, and I do that every few days with no problem. It can look pretty bad if I just apply it "full strength". It would looks hard, white, crunchy.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm relaxed and use eco styler olive oil. I moisturize / seal my hair first, dampen edges with water then apply eco and I don't have any issues.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I had to buy long aid gel online from amazonuk
It has no hold at all it's more like a moisturiser than a typical gel

This gel was horrible! Its was like a greasy and smelly goop!

Wetline Xtreme Gel. For me, it's hold is even stronger than Eco Styler.

This stuff blows Eco styler out of the water! yes even the crystal version! Plus it smells good and makes the hair look shinier.

My only gripe is that i could never find the right leave in to use under it, but when i wanted long lasting curl definition this was my go to!

I prefer softer holding products to slick my hair back though. surprisingly loreal smooth intense conditioner gave me the slickest hair I've had in a while. its cheap, smells great and gives excellent shine. I was really surprised about that discovery.

SEMO

My holy grail hair gel is Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel. Other gels tend to cause the hair at my edges to curl up and frizz (unless I use a scarf to help smooth it down). But the FOTE aloe vera smooths my hair down perfectly with only light brushing. It also makes my hair feel more moisturized and soft.

For my hair it provides the perfect hold and I feel ok about using it as often as needed (normally I try to avoid using gel, but this aloe vera gel is in a league of its own).

Danewshe

Ecostyler Olive oil doesn't flake on me either...OP how much are you using and what other products are you using it with?

Probably too much, since I have a lot of flyaways. I use a small amount of moisturizer before applying the gel.

AJellyCake

Danewshe

For me, Kinky Curly Curling Custard gives me strong hold and moisturized hair. I think it makes my hair shrink just a little bit more than other gels. It's definitely a HG. I just wish it weren't so expensive. A similar gel Is As I Am Curling Jelly Coil and Curl Definer.

When I first went natural, I tried to do WnGs with Eco Styler, and :nono: it left white dots alllll over the place. No matter what I did. I've found though that it for me seems to work best with watery leave-ins rather than creamy leave-ins (so I use Kinky Curly's leave-in). But also (and maybe this is unusual; I don't know), it seems like my natural hair is responding so much better to products now after a few months. I follow the CG method (no cones, no sulfates), so I think my hair has more internal moisture. For whatever reason, it's not as high maintenance when it comes to products as it used to be, and I can use Eco much more easily. I think my application technique has improved, too.

So in conclusion :), I think you should try to figure out what parts of your regimen may be impacting your Eco gel's performance. It's inexpensive and easy to get (in the US anyways), so it's worth trying to figure out how to make it work for you. If you're getting white dots/flakes, it's because it's not mixing well with something else on your hair.

You can also try applying an oil that works well with Eco before or after you apply the gel to combat flaking.

HTH! Good luck!