Girls, I need your help!!!

Misstacie

:blush: Please help. My hair is all natural root to tip, except for hair color which has not caused any real damage. I started using all the hair care tips shared here including DC, steaming, PSing, using the right oils and shea for moisture, vitamins etc. My hair responded wonderfully and until last week had gotten silky soft and had even grown several inches.

Last week, I tried an egg based protein treatment which consisted of egg, olive oil, honey, tea tree oil, and I think I added coconut oil. I mixed it, left it on (no heat) for 30 minutes, then rinsed. I then shampooed with a castille soap/coconut oil mixture, then went under the steamer for a coconut oil based DC for 30 minutes. After my hair cooled, I rinsed with warm water, added shea and other oils along w/ Cantu Shea leave-in (which I've used and loved for months), braided as usual. The next morning, my hair was a frizzy, dry mess and has been for a week. Over the last week, I've been using moisturizing products like crazy every morning and night. The first 7 inches from my roots are wonderful, but my ends went from 3b/3c to 4ZZZ. What Happened!!!!???? Has this happened to anyone? Will my hair go back to it's natural state? ...or can egg cause permanent damage after a single treatment? I used pantanol in my DC, could this be the culprit? I've used it several times before, but this time, I used more than usual.

TIA

Last edited:
sooo sorry this happened...yikes...I'm too new to answer but I'm sure one of the long timers will be in shortly to help out, these ladies are FANTASTIC in helping to resolve issues.

Misstacie

I've been using castille 4 a while. It works well 4 me. I think the problem may have been the use of a protein followed by panthonal.

Last edited:

lizzyb168

Sounds like some sort of serious protein overload.

you did a protein treatment, then coconut oil, then cantu shea butter leave in (which is a protein based moisturiser, correct me if im wrong). I would say to continue to wash with a mositurising conditioner and add some honey/EVCO/EVOO to it and see if anything changes.

Dont worry everything will go back to normal soon!

Misstacie

Cantu leave-in is not a protein conditioner. I think it may have some protein ingredients listed waaaaaay at the end of the list, but in any case, not enough to do any damage. After reading about pantenol, I think that after the egg treatment is what did it.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. It is softening up. If I had to cut of the frizzy ends, I'd lose about 5 inches. :cry: