I am in love with Coconut Milk!

mrshicks2002

I used coconut milk in my DC along with PC, honey, olive oil, and castor oil and my hair is super soft and smooth. I am loving it! This will always be added to my DC's. When I plan to henna again, I will be adding the coconut milk in it as well.

Who's using coconut milk and what have it done for your hair.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Glad to hear this. Which brand do you use, if it matters? I bought a can of Goya coconut milk, and I'll use it in a couple of days.

Do you mind sharing your recipe? :)

Cleve_gryl

I added coconut milk to my henna treatment the other night and it made it sooo much easier to rinse out!! I really liked how it made the consistency of my mixture nice and smooth. I'll be using this in my treatments from now on, and I'll try the leftover milk in my DC Monday night :D

mrshicks2002

bklynwildheart said:
Glad to hear this. Which brand do you use, if it matters? I bought a can of Goya coconut milk, and I'll use it in a couple of days.

Do you mind sharing your recipe? :)

I use a brand called Imperial Dragon, but I also bought another can and its made by Thai kitchen. I used it in my DC and I mixed it with Roux Porosity Control, honey, castor and olive oil.

mrshicks2002

Cleve_gryl said:
I added coconut milk to my henna treatment the other night and it made it sooo much easier to rinse out!! I really liked how it made the consistency of my mixture nice and smooth. I'll be using this in my treatments from now on, and I'll try the leftover milk in my DC Monday night :D

I am glad to hear that you like it in your henna treatment. I will be adding some in mine next time I do another henna treatment.

Let me know how your DC comes out and how you liked it.

ETA: I just checked out your henna pictures from April and I love the shine. Did you use henna or the cassia which is like henna, but without the coloring effects.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

I used to use coconut milk in my prepoos and it worked great with softening my new growth. I have not done so in a long while. I am glad I read this thread, especially now that you guys mentioned that you use coconut milk in henna. I plan on doing my very first henna this weekend, and I still hadn't narrowed down my henna mix down yet. I may add it to my henna. Thanks :p

Candy1978

Cleve_gryl said:

Hey Cleve Gryl....I'm from Cleveland also, eastside....E.131st Harvard area, born and raised...I graduated from Marshall C/O 96..just wanted to give you a hout out!!

Proudpiscean

Divine Inspiration started a thread about this a few weeks ago and I was planning to add coconut milk in my henna and DC treatments! Thanks for the reminder I'm going to pick some up today :)

gloomgeisha

I saw a few cans of Coconut Creme at the market. Would this work just as well? I would think the Creme to be a thicker, richer treatment.

smuice

yourleoqueen said:
How much coconut milk are y'all using? In ounces, if you can approximate. LOL

I used cocnut milk in my henna mix, I used about half the can, it really is Good at making the hair feel silky soft.:D

bravenewgirl87

Yea, this stuff is awesome. I like to use coconut milk and honey too. Some people have mentioned that henna and coconut might tangle hair so watch out with that combo. (i think)

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Good point. The creme is AKA "coco lopez", right?

gloomgeisha said:
I saw a few cans of Coconut Creme at the market. Would this work just as well? I would think the Creme to be a thicker, richer treatment.

RosesBlack

gloomgeisha said:
Yep, I think that's the one! And it has the picture of some kind of mixed drink on the front.

Make sure you check the ingrediants. If it has a lot of added sugar it might make your hair sticky and/or knotty.

Cleve_gryl

Well, I just finished rinsing out my warmed coconut milk/honey/motions moisture plus DC mixture. It smelled really yummy and actually was light and had a "whipped" texture. When I rinsed my strands felt nice and strong, so there must be some protein in the coconut milk. Overall, I liked the results (I'm under the dryer now with my rollerset) but I'm not sure I'd do this every time I DC, maybe once every other week for protein.

AwesomelyNappy

I love coconut milk. With a blender, I mixed mine with an avocado, extra virgin olive oil, an egg, and biotin (i opened up 5 of my biotin 5000 mgc capsules and put the powder into my mixture) and use it as a mask overnight, and the next day when i rinse it out, my hair feels stronger, softer and healthier. It also seems to help stop my breakage. I followed this with a moisturizing protein shampoo, and a deep con under the dryer. I've been doing this once a week(every friday) for the past month, and i think that it is now my new hair ritural.

gloomgeisha

RosesBlack said:
Make sure you check the ingrediants. If it has a lot of added sugar it might make your hair sticky and/or knotty.

I will definitely keep that in mind. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a dud. I imagine that the milk would take a large quantity for my hair to become saturated whereas the creme might be a bit more workable.

Cleve-gryl had me thinking about nut-milks and the potential treatments and protein that could be gained from them. For example, I wonder what kind of results a Soy or Almond milk hair treatment would provide. :scratchch

Not trying to hijack though!

Cleve_gryl

awesomely_nappy said:
I love coconut milk. With a blender, I mixed mine with an avocado, extra virgin olive oil, an egg, and biotin (i opened up 5 of my biotin 5000 mgc capsules and put the powder into my mixture) and use it as a mask overnight, and the next day when i rinse it out, my hair feels stronger, softer and healthier. It also seems to help stop my breakage. I followed this with a moisturizing protein shampoo, and a deep con under the dryer. I've been doing this once a week(every friday) for the past month, and i think that it is now my new hair ritural.

:scratchch I like this idea!! I have a whole bottle of 5mg biotin that I can't consume because it caused me major shedding...but using the caps in my DC might be the lick.

Gloomgeisha: There was a thread a while ago that talked about using soy milk the same way as the coconut, and how it was really good for strength.

ETA: After finishing up my rollerset, my hair came out uber soft and fluffy so the coconut did do something good ;)