Glycerine Users!!!!

I've been reading alot about the benefits of using glycerine, but I heard if you use too much it may dry your hair out or make it sticky:ohwell:. Do ya'll have any suggestions for how much to mix with water for 4a/b relaxed hair?

Last edited:

HotRibena

I think it depends on what your hair likes. Maybe start out with 1/3 glycerine and 2/3 water and then increase the amount of glycerine if your hair can handle it. In my last concoction, I used equal amounts of water, glycerine and aloe vera juice.

ajoyfuljoy

I just posted a glycerin thread a couple of hours ago, did research on it today, bought it on my lunchbreak and just sprayed a solution in my hair!

From what I learned, it can't dry out your hair b/c it's the very nature of glycerin to suck moisture out of everything. Since it's in your hair, it makes sense to me that it would suck moisture into your hair. If anything, I think it would make the hair frizzy? (I'm not sure on all of this cuz I just started researching this today).

I found this one link and the guy was saying that hair sprayed with glycerin mixtures ends up sticky when too much glycerin is used. Maybe you want to try a 1 part glycerin, 3-4 parts aloe vera/water or whatever else you choose to mix with it.

That's what I made tonight and it wasn't very sticky at all.

Platinum

I've been reading alot about the benefits of using glycerine, but I heard if you use too much it may dry your hair out or make it sticky:ohwell:. Do ya'll have any suggestions for how much to mix with water for 4a/b relaxed hair?

Glycerine won't make your hair dry out, it would definetely add moisture. Glycerine and water are the two most active ingredients in curl moisturizer. I think the ladies have suggested pretty good ratios but remember, too much glycerine can make it sticky.

JustKiya

It's really hard to tell you how much glycerin your hair needs - as, well, it's your hair. :lol: My needs change depending on the weather - when the air around me is drier, I need less glycerin - too much would cause the glycerin to pull moisture out of my hair, because there isn't an equal amount of moisture in the air. In more humid times, I can use more, because it will suck the moisture out of the air, and into my hair.
Also, the more moisturized my hair is, in general, the less glycerin I need.

I'd suggest experimenting - you'll be able to tell pretty quickly what the 'right' amount is for you and your hair better than we could tell you.

dinaaike

Kiya makes a good point. When I was working with glycerin (it expired now and I haven't replenished) I would add water first, then eyeball the glycerin added. I would shake it up and test it on my fingertips. If when the water dried (I used a sprayer) and it was too sticky, I added more water and tried again. Once you get good at it, you can gain precision. If done right, it will give a pretty nice slip. HTH.

leleepop

For me I have fine 4a hair. I use half h2o,half glycerin. I mist it ONCE on the roots after wash and thats it. I respray one time before washing and thats it. It I do any more than that it becomes mushy or slimy.hth