calling all glycerine users and lovers

Irresistible

ok this question isnt really getting answered in the post about my daughter's hair, so i figured it would make a seperate thread....

for those that use glycerine products regularly....

1. have you ever stopped using it and noticed extreme dryness and brittleness, that only using glycerine again seemed to relieve?
2. have you had dryness or brittleness even while using glycerine?

the point im trying to get to is....

1. do you think that long term use of glycerine can rob your hair of its moisture, seeing thats its a humectant and if there isnt enough moisture in the air, it will draw moisture from the hair?
2. do you think its possible for your hair to become dependent or addicted to glycerine after long term regular use?

just a little confused about whats goin on with my daughter's hair right now. she used a leave in with glycerine for a long time, then stopped and ive never seen her hair so brittle. but as soon as i poured the leave in with glycerine in it again, it seemed to have fixed it...nothing else worked , all the things that worked before.

Lindy

This isn't directly about glycerin, Iris, but I just remembered something... I do think it's possible for the hair to become "addicted" to a certain product... this happened to me once a long time ago with Fantasia IC Leave-In!! I'm telling you, NOTHING else would detangle my hair!! It actually was pretty scary
. I was starting to think that there was some ingredient in there causing this to happen. I don't remember what I did to finally break away from it... Maybe it's good to switch up on products often so that this doesn't happen.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
This isn't directly about glycerin, Iris, but I just remembered something... I do think it's possible for the hair to become "addicted" to a certain product... this happened to me once a long time ago with Fantasia IC Leave-In!! I'm telling you, NOTHING else would detangle my hair!! It actually was pretty scary
. I was starting to think that there was some ingredient in there causing this to happen. I don't remember what I did to finally break away from it... Maybe it's good to switch up on products often so that this doesn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ] i dunno girl, just tryin to find answers.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:

[/ QUOTE ] i dunno girl, just tryin to find answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

duh sorry for that lame response girl..im so out of it now. anyway yes, i think your right and im also thinking a slow withdrawl from the glycerine might work....thank you for remembering that...i was thinkin this is crazy..but at least i know it's happened to at least one other person

Beloved

1. have you ever stopped using it and noticed extreme dryness and brittleness, that only using glycerine again seemed to relieve?

yes, I was using sta sof fro daily and stopped since the humidity level was insufficient in mcgdogmcgdo for such frequent use.

yup, when there wasn't enough sta sof fro in my hair. My hair needed the "fix" to be right.

1. do you think that long term use of glycerine can rob your hair of its moisture, seeing thats its a humectant and if there isnt enough moisture in the air, it will draw moisture from the hair? I really do.

2. do you think its possible for your hair to become dependent or addicted to glycerine after long term regular use? Definately

In order to overcome my hair's dependence, I went on extreme moisturizing missions (day, night, and in between) with products that contained absolutely no glycerine. I tried honey for a long time with great success, but then my hair started to hate it and get hard with it. Then, I started using UBH sealed with Shea Butter and frequent distilled water spritzings and that helped. I even did a brief stint with vaseline on the ends.

Since I am back in the South, I am using glycerin again, but only in my conditiner, for now. HTH

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Beloved said:

yes, I was using sta sof fro daily and stopped since the humidity level was insufficient in mcgdogmcgdo for such frequent use.

yup, when there wasn't enough sta sof fro in my hair. My hair needed the "fix" to be right.

1. do you think that long term use of glycerine can rob your hair of its moisture, seeing thats its a humectant and if there isnt enough moisture in the air, it will draw moisture from the hair? I really do.

2. do you think its possible for your hair to become dependent or addicted to glycerine after long term regular use? Definately

In order to overcome my hair's dependence, I went on extreme moisturizing missions (day, night, and in between) with products that contained absolutely no glycerine. I tried honey for a long time with great success, but then my hair started to hate it and get hard with it. Then, I started using UBH sealed with Shea Butter and frequent distilled water spritzings and that helped. I even did a brief stint with vaseline on the ends.

Since I am back in the South, I am using glycerin again, but only in my conditiner, for now. HTH

[/ QUOTE ] ok i typed up a response to this and dont know where it went lol....

but thank you thank you thank you Beloved!! so it is possible!! i knew it had to be connected...cause ive never seen her hair like that and as soon as i put that stuff back in....it was like a miracle worker...ok so im gonna just take her hair through a slow withdrawl from it and find something else for her. thank you

Beloved

you're welcome and good luck

By the way, I actually typed "L-O-S-A-N-G-E-L-E-S" not "mcgdogmcgdo". I don't know why my computer is tripping.

soulchild

This may be of off topic but when I use lotions with glycerine as a main ingredient, initially it feels nice but then seems to dry my skin out.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
This may be of off topic but when I use lotions with glycerine as a main ingredient, initially it feels nice but then seems to dry my skin out.

[/ QUOTE ] that is on topic girl....if it does it to skin....then i think its probably the same with hair....

im beatin myself over the head now cause i knew this about glycerine..but she loved it and her hair loved it so much that i let her use it...not anymore!!

Lindy

Bumping.... I'm sooo surprised that no one else has any input on this!!
Where are all the daily curl activator users?? Maybe that's a thing of the past now!!
A year ago there were threads full of posts extolling the virtues of S-Curl!!!
Maybe they all eventually experienced the same thing your daughter did, Iris...

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
Bumping.... I'm sooo surprised that no one else has any input on this!!
Where are all the daily curl activator users?? Maybe that's a thing of the past now!!
A year ago there were threads full of posts extolling the virtues of S-Curl!!!
Maybe they all eventually experienced the same thing your daughter did, Iris...

[/ QUOTE ] could be girl, or they are still using it and dont see the results of stopping yet

candycane

Irresistible,

May I ask why you want to slowly withdraw your daughter's hair from glycerine. It seems that if her hair loves it and does well with it, than it is an ideal product for her. ???

candycane

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
candycane said:
Irresistible,

May I ask why you want to slowly withdraw your daughter's hair from glycerine. It seems that if her hair loves it and does well with it, than it is an ideal product for her. ???

candycane

[/ QUOTE ] i posted a long thread about the problems its caused, but basically in the long run it only makes it brittle and robs it of moisture and then nothin else seems to moisturize it...her hair is in bad shape cause of it.and i want her hair off of it and the temp "fixes" it gives

Purtygurly

I think that this is happening to me because I was using s-curl daily for two months.

I didn't see any damage or breakage or anything like that and it didn't look bad, but I noticed that my hair felt dryer than it usually feels.

I dunno, I want to continue using the s-curl because it has kept my hair sooo nicely moisturized...

Ebony

I'm still using the scurl & have been able to easily maintain my hair & keep it moisturized because of it. As far as the dry/brittle feeling, i get that when i don't keep my hair/ends moisturized. before i started using scurl more consecutively, my hair was always dry/brittle. that combined with many unnecessary trims is the reason my hair isn't waist length now. there is always going to be a product you'll need to use to combat this or that no matter what. if not scurl, then it will be something else.

Ebony

to add to my last post, my cousin & i are chatting on aim about scurl & she just mentioned that she relaxes every 5-6 mths. her hair gets very brittle-like between the 4-6 mths stage post relaxer if she attempts to stop using the scurl. wow! i personally only recall experiencing brittle hair when i don't use anything at all. i do know that within my own first 4 mths post relaxer, i stop using scurl a day or 2 before a blowout & i had no problems..even if i switched to just using nexxus humectress or a moisturizing conditioner & give the scurl a break. i'm not really sure now what happens for me in the 4-6mths post relaxer stage since i use scurl consecutively during that time & only wear protective styles. I guess i'll have to try another product during that time frame & see what the deal is.

shinyblackhair

I have stated quite a few times on this board in the midst of all the Scurl Sta Sofro hype that this stuff dried out my hair. I have it up in my cabinet still because I told myself that I'd try it out again during the summer months when the humidity is already present in the air, therefore would not be drawing it out from my hair. Scurl made my hair dry and subsequently it shed something terrible. This was back at the beginning of winter when the air turned dry and the indoor heating was being used. That's pretty much my experience with a glycerine based product.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
I have stated quite a few times on this board in the midst of all the Scurl Sta Sofro hype that this stuff dried out my hair. I have it up in my cabinet still because I told myself that I'd try it out again during the summer months when the humidity is already present in the air, therefore would not be drawing it out from my hair. Scurl made my hair dry and subsequently it shed something terrible. This was back at the beginning of winter when the air turned dry and the indoor heating was being used. That's pretty much my experience with a glycerine based product.

[/ QUOTE ]I believe you, only i dont think some will listen cause for the moment they are only seeing that its working for them.

I did not se the disaster with my daughter's hair untill she stopped using it for a while , she used it a long time. i dont want her hair in any state like i just saw it in. where nothing would moisturize it but the glycering "fix" i doubt i will have her using it ever again. maybe if its far down on the list of ingredients , but never daily again. i never liked glycering or tolerated it cause of the stickiness and i always felt it made my hair feel like crap, but she loved it....that stuff is a nightmare waiting to happen , if one should stop using it. but i believe it could dry it out while using it too....thats why i got my daughter off the product in the first place, her hair was just starting to feel worse and worse..its the biggest catch 22, over time it looks bad while your using it and worse when you stop, i just want to get her hair back to normal

Irresistible

i saw too many "juicy" jerri curls that were really dry to the bone with the juice just sitting on top (and gettin all ova too lol)

cybra

This is a very interesting thread. I use pure glycerine mixed in with Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion for extremely dry skin on my hair and I love it. Of course, for the whole bottle of lotion, I may add in about 5-6 TBS of glycerine. Actually, it makes my hair a little oily, so I can't use it everyday...but it's extremely moisturized and it seems to make my hair very smooth. This was important since I am transitioning and hate all the time it takes to smooth my hair out when I want to wear it in a pony. But, since I started doing this again, my hair is soooo soft and very slick and easy to pull up. I still do condition washes about 3 days during the week my hair is down. I've had my hair down for two weeks now and I will rebraid it next week.

As I mentioned in another thread, my mom only used lotions in my siblings and my hair while growing up and it was always soft and moisturized, so I decided to start doing that again. This is not to say this will work for everyone, it just works for me. But, I will look for any changes in my hair when I use the added glycerine and I will let you know if I see a drying taking place. Thanks for the info ladies

Donda

I'm not sure if you would consider Braid Sheen Spray a glycerine or not but it has been working great for me. Both with my natural and with my relaxed hair. With out it my hair has nice moisture and sheen
, but it does give it a silk feel I haven't found with anything else especially when I use it for my Bantu Knot outs

Irresistible

Glycerine is a humectant!! that means your gonna feel moisture when you put it on your hair , provided there is moisture in the air to draw to your hair...if at ANY time there isnt enough moisture in the air, it WILL draw moisture FROM YOUR HAIR, this is not a guess, but a fact.

I only want to interject based on my experience with my daughter's hair , after long term regular use of glycerine that i believe that one's hair has the propensity to become "addicted" , to it.

All i can tell anyone who used glycerine is to be carefull, i have handled my daughters hair every single day for years, untill recently and i have NEVER seen her hair in such bad shape , that the leave in with glycerine left her hair in. it was EXTREMELY brittle and NOTHING that used to work would moisturize , untill out of desperation , yup you guessed it , i poured that dang leave in with glycerine in it again. The reason i had her stop using it, is because it was just plain gunky with it and i was noticing it was looking and feeling worse....although it worked wonderfully for a long time..in time it took its toll.

will this happen to everyone? i dunno. maybe , possibly not. the only way you would know for sure is to take your hair off the glycerine "fix" for a while ,it took some time to see the end results with my daughter, and all i can say is i never want to see her hair like that again. whether it is addicting to the hair or not , is disputable, although i believe it is and others have reported the same results. whats not disputable though is that it WILL rob your hair of moisture if there is not enough moisture in the air....so i would say , if your hair loves it and you want to use, just remain mindfull of that fact.

Ebony

i'm not even sure at this point if the problem actually is the glycerin. whether many recognize it or not, scurl is a chemical product produced to support/maintain a jerri curl chemical perm. I haven't had any problems like those mentioned above in the past 3 yrs at least, but i will keep an eye out. It may be the case where some experience it & others don't. Hopefully, others will post their experiences. Thanks Irres for bringing this to our attention!

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Ebony said:
i'm not even sure at this point if the problem actually is the glycerin. whether many recognize it or not, scurl is a chemical product produced to support/maintain a jerri curl chemical perm. I haven't had any problems like those mentioned above in the past 3 yrs at least, but i will keep an eye out. It may be the case where some experience it & others don't. Hopefully, others will post their experiences. Thanks Irres for bringing this to our attention!

[/ QUOTE ] what did this to her hair is a leave in called daily doctor, glycerine is the second ingredient, the first is water..she has no curl, just natural hair. this is defintely something to keep in mind with all products containing glycerine, braid spray, s-curl, leave in's, whatever. and if you should go through the "glycerine withdrawl" for any reason, the only thing that fixes the brittlenes is the glycerine again. so dont be mystified, baffled and confused like i was
just go on and give it that "fix" it wants....but i would suggest a slow withdrawl from that point on..not going back to full use or the cycle begins again.

nivea

I use one part glycerine, one part infusum 23 and on part detangling solution on my hair. My hair loves the stuff. I do not have any problems with dryness.

keke

***there is always going to be a product you'll need to use to combat this or that no matter what. if not scurl, then it will be something else***

Thats exactly what im thinking, Ebony. If its workng fine then good it works for you. If you find somethign else other than glycerin that moisturizes your hair and helps it to grow then you are going to stick to that one also, unless your gonna switch up every 2,3, or 6 months or so. Hope it wont be too expensive either but in the meantime of finding products to work well for you like that will take some time and quite a bit of money. I use s-curl everday, My hair is bvery moisturized. I stopped it for about a week or more some months ago w/my other braids and my hair did NOT grow. I just sprayed some ORS olive oil sheen and it just stayed there(course i wanted that to happen cause i was going somewhere special wanted my hair to look neater) As for dryness i had some, course i didnt put anything else on it except spraying that olive oil(which only shined up my hair)so that may have been the reason for it, but didnt want to for neatness sake cause that and the sulpher 8 cause too much growth along w/the vitamins i was taking.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ebony said:

[/ QUOTE ] what did this to her hair is a leave in called daily doctor, glycerine is the second ingredient, the first is water..she has no curl, just natural hair. this is defintely something to keep in mind with all products containing glycerine, braid spray, s-curl, leave in's, whatever. and if you should go through the "glycerine withdrawl" for any reason, the only thing that fixes the brittlenes is the glycerine again. so dont be mystified, baffled and confused like i was
just go on and give it that "fix" it wants....but i would suggest a slow withdrawl from that point on..not going back to full use or the cycle begins again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I too, suffered from GWS (glycerin withdrawal syndrome)
I absolutely know first hand what your daughter is going through. I started using Sta Soft Fro about 9 years ago when I had a relaxer. I don't know if it was the moisturizer/activator or just the fact that I was pregnant, but my hair grew after being cut from underarm length to waist. So, I attibuted the growth to the Sta Soft Fro. I would mix the SSF with grease or oil or other moisturizers (or just use it by itself) and my hair was always BLINGIN'!!!! I soon switched to Right On Curl Activator. Now maybe because the Right on had a higher glycerin content than the SSF but within a short time I noticed a pattern. I'd wash my hair and apply the Right on and/or SSF, my hair would be mega detangled and super shiny. Once it dried, I HAD to apply more or else my hair would be dry as the desert. So, I'd put on more, it would look nice for awhile but each day I didn't apply it, it would get drier and drier.

Well, I did this routine for years and when I got bored with glycerin type products I tried switching to something else, it would NEVER work. My hair would still be dry and not look half as shiny as with the SSF. So, here I was thinking that SSF was just going to have to be a permanent staple in my hair care regimen cause nothing else would work.

Over time I grew out the relaxer and tried the activator on my natural hair but it didn't work. I finally quit using products with glycerin (or rather high glycerin content) and my hair was so messed up for awhile (i.e. dry without much shine) I suffered through the tough times then finally my hair got back "right".

However, I did experiment on my two daughters. A small part of me thought the glycerin didn't work because it was just "my" hair and all its quirkiness. Well, same thing happened with theirs. An initial softness and sheen was there that turned to super dryness.

So, girl, I feel you.....for real!!!!! I think what you're saying is true that overtime that glycerin will put the hair into a viscious cycle of dryness. Well, let me qualify.....that's what it seems like it did to MY hair, my daughters and it looks like your daughter, too. I wish your daughter much luck in getting her hair back.

moneychaser

This is scary.. Where Adriennes, I know shes a fan of S-Curl.
Did anyone try deep conditioning with a good moisturizing conditioner??