GNC MAX FRUITS...Your Opinion Needed

honeybadgirl

i was at gnc yesterday and purchased the combo maximum fruit and greens supplement. they also have just the max fruits packet and the just green packet. i wanted to know if any of you tried it or anything similar to it from another health food store. it didnt taste offensive to me and i was thinking about adding it to my arsenal of supplements:look:. i was wondering if it would be truely beneficial.

the gnc site has this:

Maximum Fruits™ Complete
Super Fruit Formula
More Antioxidant Capacity than 7 Standard Servings of Fresh Fruits**
  • Produced from over 30 Antioxidant-Dense Super Fruits
  • All Natural Non-GMO & Vegetarian Formula
Natural Berry Flavor Powder

Produced from over 30 antioxidant-dense super fruits,
Maximum Fruits™ Complete supplies an ORAC value
greater than 7 standard servings of fresh fruit. The ORAC
(Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) assay measures
antioxidant capacity against cell-damaging free radicals.
Free radicals can break down healthy cells and
potentially lead to a variety of health problems. Air
pollution, chemicals, food additives, physical stress and
our body's normal use of oxygen contribute to the
production of these harmful compounds. Antioxidants
help to control cell-damaging free radicals by becoming
oxidized themselves.
As a dietary supplement, mix one scoop (8 grams) with 8 fl oz of juice
or water once a day, or more often as you like. Stir briskly or shake in a closed container until completely mixed.

what do you guys think???
also, i'll add this...what are you ladies doing to stay fit. what are you eating, what supplements are you taking, what exercises are you doing and how much of it. i'm trying to become more fit and have been eating better for several months with much success. i want to find, basically, what more can i do. what else is out there. other success stories.
sorry this is so long. i just decided to combine my issues in 1 thread:grin:. its all related anyway, right:drunk:

sikora

I believe that studies have been conducted that show that you do not reap the antioxidant benefits from these supplements that you would with eating real fruit.

Therefore, I would recommend consuming the actual fruit instead of trying to get the benefits in pill form. In fact, the daily recommendation for fruits and vegetables has now been increased to 8 - 10 servings,

Do you have Itunes on your computer? I was listening to a podcast by Dr Susan Mitchell yesterday and I took some notes.

Best foods for helathy skin and hair:

- Lentils and eggs (protein)
- Avocado, almonds, wheat germ (Vitamin E)
- Strawberries, blueberries, brocolli, red peppers, oranges (Vitamin C)
- Mango, Apricots, carrots (beta carotene)
- Salmon, Walnuts, flaxseed (Omega 3s)
- Prunes (now known as dried plums -- (antioxidants)
- Water

I think prunes are actually one of (if not) the best fruit you can eat for antioxidants. The extra fiber woun't hurt either.

http://www.sunsweet.com/nutrition/

honeybadgirl

thanks and of course i have itunes!!:grin::grin: (sidebar: its funny because i was like 1 of the 1st that had an ipod. i would walk around w/it and people would say...what is that??:lachen:)
ok, so back to this...i know whole fruits and veggies would be better but sometimes i KNOW that i cant get them in, the recommended amount and wanted something that could or would help with that. i'll definitely check that podcast you mentioned. thanks again:grin:

anyone else??

AvaSpeaks

You should eat the fruit. GNC is just pushing a product. Everybody pretty much has access to fruit, at least 2 pieces a day.

honeybadgirl

i agree but i know i dont eat enough veggies. the fruits i can most definitely get in(probably not really enough but...:look:)
then if we can get proteins, fruits and veggies in why do we need to take all these supplements?? i dont know....and speaking of that, i think i may take a break of all the supps i've been taking. just shave it down to my multi-vitamin and iron pill. just temporarily to see how i feel