Going Back to Natural Hair

Sha76

After 1 year and 3 months I have grown weary of my relaxed hair. I only relaxe it once every 3- 6 months as is. I have become and expert to blow drying my hair straight to hide the roots.

I have grown very tired of the the straight look. I miss my versatility. So I am going o transistion back to my natural hair. If I decide to get braids, I will just cut off the relaxed hair and braid the natural hair.

The last time I went natural , I just cut off all of my hair and shocked everyone, including my husband. But this time I will let it be gradual until it gets to a certain length. I don't like going to salons.

Since I have never transitioned before, does anyone who has transitioned have any suggestions? OR, should I just start from scratch( ie the BIG CHOP)?

moda

I transitioned twice, once with the bc and once w/o. I honestly do not have a preference for either, both I was able to manage quite nicely. When I 1st transitioned I really did not know anything about cutting off the relaxed ends, so when I decided I would no longer relax I just went back to treating my hair as I always did (only relaxed 2 times). I loved the bc because I was able to sport short styles for a while and my hair was dried so much faster when it was shorter.

Divastate

I transitioned for awhile with braids but still had a very short big chop which I really loved. Its really a personal decision as far as what will make you more comfortable and if you have the patience to deal with the two textures for an extended time.

Good luck in your transition! Your twists were so healthy and thick when you were natural (and you definitely have some styling skills I loved all the different styles in your album).

jainygirl

Good luck :). I transitioned but it was for a very short while, 11weeks, then I chopped. i would recommend rollersets and airdrying to minimize heat use and just treating your roots and relaxed ends like two different heads of hair. Your rollerset can come out just as good and the manipulation to your 'roots' will be minimal. That way you will look good and your natural hair will remain it's health and strength.

I have pics in my album of a set I did while in transition. For daily care just use the right techniques and products on your natural hair and whatever works on your relaxed ends be sure to use those products in that area :). -- HTH -- jainygirl

Last edited:

Sha76

Divastate said:
I transitioned for awhile with braids but still had a very short big chop which I really loved. Its really a personal decision as far as what will make you more comfortable and if you have the patience to deal with the two textures for an extended time.

Good luck in your transition! Your twists were so healthy and thick when you were natural (and you definitely have some styling skills I loved all the different styles in your album).
That is the funny thing I had more styling skills with my natural hair than with straight hair... Funny huh?

As for dealing with 2 very different textures right now I relax my hair once every 6 months. So that is why I was going to do the trim transition.

hopeful

Good luck Sha76 and congratulations on your decision. It's really a personal choice on whether you bc or transition. Do you want to wear a twa or do you prefer to have more length? If you want a twa chop already and get on with it. If you want more length then I would transition for at least six months since you already know you can go that long without a relaxer then I would take a hard look at my hair and newgrowth to decide if I would want to deal with the two textures or not. Have fun--can't wait to see your pics.

gabrielle2

i transitioned to natural using two strand twist extensions. everytime i took them down...i snipped away.

it didnt last too long though. i was super anxious to see my natural hair.