Going to a new salon this week

fairyhairy

In need of a serious trim, maybe 3 or 4 inches have some issues with ssk and splits so going to bite the bullet and chop it off, not to bothered about losing length. Feel like staring anew anyways

So I want to get it straightened before they cut. Wanted some advice on what and how I should instruct them so I come out happy with healthy ends

Its a salon that deals with all ethnicities but I would like to go in confident aking for what I need and want

TIA

xxxx

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Since this is a new salon, ask to do a pre-start consultation with the stylist. Let them look at your hair and work out a game plan for the visit (what services will be performed, how much and discuss any 'special' requests you have). You could take a small discreet bag of essentials as a backup in case the stylist doesn't have things you need (or desire).

IF for any reason you don't feel comfortable with the stylist after the consult, you haven't wasted their time (or your time), let them know and politely leave.

I personally have found it helpful to state upfront my personal goals (growing out hair, need minimal amount of hair trimmed off) in a way that engages them in the conversation about how to reach my goal. Also ask what they feel they do best (styling, precision cuts, coloring, etc.)

Now, if you seem pleased with the person, find out for future visits, if you can bring your own materials (if necessary), any recommendations, etc.

I hope everything works out.

bklynbornNbred

I wouldn't get a cut/trim the first time visiting a salon. That is asking for a future "that stylist messed up my hair rant" thread if I ever heard one. As suggested above ask for a consultation first. If they are professionals they should be able to give you suggestions on how to treat your hair and if it sounds crazy - run!

virtuenow

Good thread, I'm in the same boat. Would anyone suggest doing a pre-poo before the salon visit or a special treatment?

fairyhairy

I am planning on doing an overnight DC, I know they use the Pureolgy line so plan on asking to use that brand - its sulfate free and vegan friendly,
I will be instructing them on how to wash n detangle my hair and as suggested above taking in a wide tooth comb and my denman brush. Was also of thinking of have ready detangled twists
Have been watching some blowout tutorials which seem healthy so will see if they will do a similar technique and keeping a positive attitude that I will come out with
a great cut

wheezy807

No advice but sending a good salon experience vibes your way. Hope you are happy with your results.

winona

Hi Ladies,

I am in the same situation. I actually had an appointment for a service about a week ago but canceled. I rescheduled an appointment for a consultation. So far the questions I have are

My goal is long healthy hair. I want more manageability not straightness.

What do you feel you do best (styling, coloring, precision cuts)?

What brand of products do you use?

I do not flatiron my on anything over 420. How many passes do you use?

Do you use seamless combs? How do you comb(bottom up)? Do you mind if I bring my seamless comb(if she doesnt already use them)?

Do you use developer in pre shampoo to help the treatment take better?

I have never done a naked blowdry. Would you be adverse to towel drying after clarifying?

What type of blow dryer do you use? Is it ionic heat?Ceramic? What type of flat iron? Is your flat iron 100% ceramic plates or layered ceramic plates?

I do not want a trim.

I plan on coming with my hair already detangled and twisted in 6 sections wet with water/conditioner. In the past this has helped the clarifying poo not strip all the oils from my hair while still getting it very clean.

BTW I am going in for the global BKT.

I cant wait to hear of your experince:grin: Sending good experience dust your way:spinning: