Choosing a stylist/salon?

Belle Du Jour

I have not been to a salon for a chemical service since mid 2001. And I am terrified about going to get a relaxer. But, I don't have the cojones to do a virgin relaxer on my own. I would probably feel safe doing touch ups, though. . .I'm afraid they're gonna chop my hair off or do something crazy to it.

So far, I have 3 business cards to choose from:
-one natural lady who has a salon in a BSS. We spoke about going from natural to relaxed. She charges $60 for everything (which I think is a good price?) but she relaxes with Mizani. I've read that Mizani is harsh, but when I asked her about it, she said it wasn't.

-I got the name of the stylist from a girl in my class with ok hair. It's always styled, but I haven't noticed a big change in length, so the stylist may be scissor happy?

-Then there's the salon I went to for a trim when I was natural, She seemed cool and knowledgeable. She recommended Designer Touch products, so that's probably the relaxer she uses.

There's also the phone book, and I can stalk women with nice hair and ask them what salon they go to. :lol:

I want to start this relaxed path off right, you know? Since I can rollerset my hair, most likely, the only reason I'll be going to the salon is for a relaxer. Any advice on where to go? And what should I expect to pay for a relaxer/rollerset? TIA.

bluediamond0829

i would go with the last one probably....from what you wrote about her...but then like you said i would stalk some friends and ask some women with nice beautiful long hair where they go at....and then go from there.....

balisi

Classimami713, do you have any reservations about going to either of these stylists for a basic service, such as a shampoo and style, ahead of time? That way, you have an opportunity to check things out before you commit to a chemical service. You should approach these opportunities as your chance to "interview" the stylist and see if she is the right one to apply your chemicals. Make sure you let her know ahead of time that you absolutely do not want your hair cut or trimmed. She should respect that.

I attended a Mizani on Tour class a couple of months ago, and although I have not tried this brand of relaxer, it appears to be pretty good. But, keep in mind that everyone's hair is different. Ask the stylist to do a strand test first, and examine the results for yourself before you give her the go-ahead to apply it all over.

As far as the cost expectations, that will depend on the market in your area. Find out if any special pricing is offered mid-week, when salon activity tends to be slow.

Last edited:

Isis

I too suggest doing your research, as these ladies mentioned. I also suggest going to a stylist only when you no longer have any fear. This should be a joyful occasion!:)

Honey

Generally speaking, I would never recommend your first visit to any stylist be for a chemical service - you don't know their skill and they aren't familiar with your hair. Maybe you should try someone out a couple times prior to getting a relaxer. This will also allow you to speak with them about your hair goals and their design philosophy. There are many great stylist out there, but everyone's not good at everything. You just have to make sure they are on the same page with you.

Good Luck!

~Honey

Belle Du Jour

That's a good idea about auditioning the stylist beforehand. I kinda talked to the natural one and I felt comfortable with her. She asked me about my haircare habits too, which was good. The stylist that I went to before seemed knowledgeable too, but I went for a trim on my natural hair.

Since I'm natural, I don't know what service I could get from a salon to test the waters. :confused:

I will be onl the lookout for beautiful hair tomorrow especially. I will have no shame in asking folks "who does your hair?" :lol: