Going to France in July & have questions please help

Dak

Tell me, what is the weather like in France in July, is it humid? I will be there for 2 weeks and I'm not sure what to do with my hair..., I usually wash it once a week (my hair is natural 3C curly) and roller set, flat iron straight. Should I just wear it curly? Is there someplace someone could recommend that I could get a roller set or a flat iron?

I keep hearing that my wardrobe should center around black, even in July? That just sounds hot.

It is hot and humid in Paris at least. Getting stuck on the underground in summer is no joke. I wouldn't recommend braiding, you'll just be hot and uncomfortable. You should just probably do what you would normally do during summer where you're from. There was a salon I used to go to for perms but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. That was six years ago and I must have thrown the card away.

Last edited:
Centering your wardrobe around black is kinda a myth. My grandparents are French. I noticed the women in Paris, for the most part, are very feminine and pretty w/o being in your face about it. You'll be fine with some light sundresses, and comfortable flat sandals ( sightseeing and catching those buses can involve ALOT of walking) Alot of French people are very chic, but it's more of a " I don't work hard at this" presentation.

Of course, it also depends on the kind of company you'll be keeping.

This site is amazing, I wasn't sure if I would get a response at all and here are two very knowledgeable ladies that totally answered my questions. Thank you!

I wish there was an easier answer as to what to do with my hair. I know I'm good for a week w/o washing but washing again w/o all my stuff, (heat cap & dryer,) my hair is just going to be big and frizzy.

I'm not too worried about the company I'll be with, more that I've heard that the French dress more than we do here, like wearing a hoodie & sweat pants wouldn't work, it would be too casual.

I don't find Paris humid in summer at all.......it's rather nice. And I did take the metro everyday to go to class. I was relaxed at the time I stayed in Paris and I would wear wash n go's sometimes but my hair was mostly straight. If I wanted curls I would use hot rollers from babyliss and my curls would last all day well into the night.

I never went to a salon there so I can't help with that

I don't find Paris humid in summer at all.......it's rather nice. And I did take the metro everyday to go to class. I was relaxed at the time I stayed in Paris and I would wear wash n go's sometimes but my hair was mostly straight. If I wanted curls I would use hot rollers from babyliss and my curls would last all day well into the night.

I never went to a salon there so I can't help with that

I agree Paris is not that humid in the summer the temp is usually in the 70s and low to mid 80's, I go there every year because I have relatives in France.

yup

NYC is waaaaaaaaaay more humid that Paris will ever be during summer

And don't mention Chicago with Lake Michigan, it's like being in the rainforest. You will so busy going to different sites that you might want to keep your style simple.

Tell me, what is the weather like in France in July, is it humid? I will be there for 2 weeks and I'm not sure what to do with my hair..., I usually wash it once a week (my hair is natural 3C curly) and roller set, flat iron straight. Should I just wear it curly? Is there someplace someone could recommend that I could get a roller set or a flat iron?

I keep hearing that my wardrobe should center around black, even in July? That just sounds hot.

Hey Dak! M' Coiff is a good salon. The owner used to run Kanellia before selling it to a chinese group.
5 rue Amelot 75011 paris train: stop at Bastille
phone:01 43 38 66 53
ask for Murielle and say Ekomba sent you.

You can check them on the site www.mcoiff.com

ETA: nah:nono: wear whatever you like you dont want to be too hot. Only thing if you gonna wash your hair water is very drying and full of "calcaire" (i dont know how to translate it in english) in Europe

Last edited:
Great looking salon, thank you ekomba for finding the info for me!

I wonder, is it calcium that makes the water hard?

this is me coming from a class......it definitely could not be humid with me wearing all these clothes :lachen:

Attachments

• jardinlux.JPG
    jardinlux.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Val, do you mind me asking what you're studying there? Great picture, I see what you mean, if it were humid, that wouldn't work.

Val, do you mean your avatar picture?

Do you mind me asking what you're studying there?
nope the pic in the post

I'm not in France anymore but I was studying FLE (francais langue etrangere) which is basically how to teach french to non-native french speakers

Great looking salon, thank you ekomba for finding the info for me!

I wonder, is it calcium that makes the water hard?

You welcome Dak! hum for the hard water, let me just find a translator site so i can translate 'calcaire", i know upon my return to the states my hair started shedding a lot. But in Europe the water has more "calcaire" than in the states

wait i find a translation, sorry my first language is not english but french so i sometimes have difficulty with finding the word in English or writing correctly

"calcaire"= i'm not sure when i translate eau calcaire it says "calcareous water" in alta vista i dont know about calcium. I'm not sure if you understood me. For instance in africa, i can wash with no problem cause the water is purer coming straight from Regideso eau the source (spring water) but in Europe it is known to be "eau calcaire. harsh water and it will mess your hair and hinder your growth. Sometimes people travelling just braid their hair to avoid having to wash it there. But also in the states some places have harsh water but you can remedy to it by buying a filter for the shower. hope it helps

ETA: for instance the water in my house in paris was "calcaire" so i could not drink it from the faucet. but i drank bottled water. i dont know if i m being clear trying to make understand the word "calcaire" i think it s white

Last edited:
You could always pour some nexxus aloe rid ( or chelating shampoo of choice) in one of the small travel bottles if you're worried about the water. Another thing I do when I travel is get a small jar or bottle that meets standards, and just mix my leave in/sealant together as opposed to layering them. It works in a pinch.

I am subscribing to this thread. I just moved to Paris 3 weeks ago for work and I still have not gone to the African BSS or stylists.

Ekomba and other Parisiennes... please tell me the streets where I can buy African hair products and find good stylists.

Thanks!

You welcome Dak! hum for the hard water, let me just find a translator site so i can translate 'calcaire", i know upon my return to the states my hair started shedding a lot. But in Europe the water has more "calcaire" than in the states

wait i find a translation, sorry my first language is not english but french so i sometimes have difficulty with finding the word in English or writing correctly

"calcaire"= i'm not sure when i translate eau calcaire it says "calcareous water" in alta vista i dont know about calcium. I'm not sure if you understood me. For instance in africa, i can wash with no problem cause the water is purer coming straight from Regideso eau the source (spring water) but in Europe it is known to be "eau calcaire. harsh water and it will mess your hair and hinder your growth. Sometimes people travelling just braid their hair to avoid having to wash it there. But also in the states some places have harsh water but you can remedy to it by buying a filter for the shower. hope it helps

ETA: for instance the water in my house in paris was "calcaire" so i could not drink it from the faucet. but i drank bottled water. i dont know if i m being clear trying to make understand the word "calcaire" i think it s white
calcareous basically means that the water contains calcium carbonate

Thanks Val!!!

also be careful when travelling not to have anything liquid, cremes or what not in your handbag but everything in your suitcase (all my liquid stuff and creams melted or either burst due to plane pressure). If it s in your handbag or carry luggage they will confiscate it at the airports. that s the new rules for europe, nothing like nailpolish, cremes, liquids, lipgloss,they will take everything and confiscate it for good. Those can only be in the suitcase

Ekomba, that's really helpful to know, I always carry hand lotion & lip gloss in my purse.

The water here in CA is considered hard, heavy calcium, so it will be just like home for me.

I am trying to learn french now, I'm doing the Rosetta Stone French course but I really don't see being fluent by July. (I'll only be able to speak in the present tense, LOL) Any chance of the salon you mentioned being able to speak some english?

Ekomba, that's really helpful to know, I always carry hand lotion & lip gloss in my purse.

The water here in CA is considered hard, heavy calcium, so it will be just like home for me.

I am trying to learn french now, I'm doing the Rosetta Stone French course but I really don't see being fluent by July. (I'll only be able to speak in the present tense, LOL) Any chance of the salon you mentioned being able to speak some english?

If you uh finish with the Rosetta Course and decide you want to uh...recycle it :look: Please let me know! I need to brush up on my finer points and I've heard so much about this program. If it works well, I might use it to learn Spanish too.

I am trying to learn french now, I'm doing the Rosetta Stone French course but I really don't see being fluent by July. (I'll only be able to speak in the present tense, LOL) Any chance of the salon you mentioned being able to speak some english?[/QUOTE]

oh sure they will understand. Speak to Murielle the owner. check the website so you can get an idea of the location, hairstyles what they use
www.mcoiff.com

I am subscribing to this thread. I just moved to Paris 3 weeks ago for work and I still have not gone to the African BSS or stylists.

Ekomba and other Parisiennes... please tell me the streets where I can buy African hair products and find good stylists.

Thanks!

Hey Angenoir hope you like it
You can buy african hair products in many places in chateau d'eau and strasbourg saint denis or even go to MGC International, the best one that supplies all the bss in france they are located in strasbourg saint denis. in my childhood, i would always go there to get all the afro products you can even order online. They are really huge in Paris and been there for a longtime
MGC International
10-14, Passage de l’Industrie 75010 Paris
1/3-23-29-35-37-45, Boulevard de Strasbourg 75010 Paris

0 825 00 96 96
01 53 24 96 97
Also check the website if you rather order online
its www.mgc.fr

For the salon, go to m'coif 5 rue amelot 75011 paris metro: Bastille
0143386653 www.mcoiff.com
Or i think there 's also a Mizani salon where my sister goes, i'm call her and ask her she told me they very good and only use Mizani products and very knowledgeable. I''ll msn later and keep you posted here.

If you uh finish with the Rosetta Course and decide you want to uh...recycle it :look: Please let me know! I need to brush up on my finer points and I've heard so much about this program. If it works well, I might use it to learn Spanish too.

O/T

I heard the Pimsleur, aproach is better than Rosetta. I use the Pimsleur to help with my spanish, and it works i remember everything i learn...and i didn't pay for it...:look:. Im going to "get a hold" of the French onesoon as i get a new computer because this one can't take anymore.

O/T

I heard the Pimsleur, aproach is better than Rosetta. I use the Pimsleur to help with my spanish, and it works i remember everything i learn...and i didn't pay for it...:look:. Im going to "get a hold" of the French onesoon as i get a new computer because this one can't take anymore.

Hmm..I've never heard of it, I'll have to check it out. Please PM me if you'd like to share how you're getting this software for free. :blush: :grin:

Hey Angenoir hope you like it
You can buy african hair products in many places in chateau d'eau and strasbourg saint denis or even go to MGC International, the best one that supplies all the bss in france they are located in strasbourg saint denis. in my childhood, i would always go there to get all the afro products you can even order online. They are really huge in Paris and been there for a longtime
MGC International
10-14, Passage de l’Industrie 75010 Paris
1/3-23-29-35-37-45, Boulevard de Strasbourg 75010 Paris

0 825 00 96 96
01 53 24 96 97
Also check the website if you rather order online
its www.mgc.fr

For the salon, go to m'coif 5 rue amelot 75011 paris metro: Bastille
0143386653 www.mcoiff.com
Or i think there 's also a Mizani salon where my sister goes, i'm call her and ask her she told me they very good and only use Mizani products and very knowledgeable. I''ll msn later and keep you posted here.

I am loving Paris. Its very nice. I am also trying hard to leanr French, I have lessons almost everyday and I am preogressing!

Thanks for the info, I will check out the BSS's this weekend.

Back